Tiny Gold With The Equinox 600

I appreciate you posting that. I have been trying to convince people the 600 is nearly as good as the 800 for gold nuggets, but since the 600 lacks that magic “Gold Mode” it does make people skeptical. You are officially now the “Equinox 600 Nugget Master”! :smile:

My Tips On Nugget Detecting With The Minelab Equinox

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I appreciate you posting that. I have been trying to convince people the 600 is nearly as good as the 800 for gold nuggets, but since the 600 lacks that magic “Gold Mode” does make people skeptical. You are officially now the “Equinox 600 Nugget Master”! :smile:

My Tips On Nugget Detecting With The Minelab Equinox

Haha!  Thanks Steve, Im going to have to share that lofty title with my GF who found half of them!    In fact, thats why I "HAD" to get an 800... so maybe id have an edge....😜

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 2

Congrats on the nuggies!!!  And thanks for sharing the success with the 600.  Steve wrote about its effectiveness but definitely cool hearing of others success with it!!!   Definitely post your settings as it’s always informative seeing different folks ways of setting up and running detectors!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Noah (FL) said:

Congrats on the nuggies!!!  And thanks for sharing the success with the 600.  Steve wrote about its effectiveness but definitely cool hearing of others success with it!!!   Definitely post your settings as it’s always informative seeing different folks ways of setting up and running detectors!

Thanks Noah!  Ok, settings for that day and place.  Northern AZ.  lots o hot rocks, ironstone, black sand..  Id been over the spot previously and gotten (most) of the larger pieces in the poke, and the trash out of the way....

Field 2

Sensitivity 17-20

-9 to -1 blocked out with everything else accepted

2 Tones

Tone break at 0

Iron bias 0

ground balance manual

Main concern was the hot rocks and iron ground.  Recovery speed of 3 seemed to help.   I dug nothing but 1,2,3's. not really concerned about missing anything but the smallest microscopic pieces.       Dug  1 shotgun bb, and 1 small sliver of lead.  ( wish that were more common!)    Most of the hot rocks came in 6-15 jumping to high unstable numbers. which I just happily ignored 😁.   The nuggets were 0 to 3 locking on a solid 1or 2. with a  solid high tone. (in the two tone mode).    I really should have slowed down and experimented with some other settings or modes as it would have been a perfect test ground...  although it was too fun to just watch for a 1 or 2 and dig!    It could have easily been BB Hell though I know....

Question:    Anyone think Park 2 would have been better in any way?   Not sure of the weighting of frequencies (?).. but im plenty satisfied with the tiny pieces I found using field 2.     What else could be different between these modes??   

When I get a chance, Ill take both machines out and get some comparisons on in ground targets, all i need to do now  is find another patch...doh..          

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, microsniper said:

Anyone think Park 2 would have been better in any way?   Not sure of the weighting of frequencies (?).. but im plenty satisfied with the tiny pieces I found using field 2.     What else could be different between these modes??   

I am not aware of any difference between Park 2 and Field 2 other than the presets. Set identically, performance appears identical. The same with Park 1 and Field 1.

If in an area with little or no ferrous trash dig negative numbers, like down to -3. Gold in mineralized soil will read negative at times as the ground ferrous content skews and overwhelms the nugget non-ferrous reading. This is highly dependent on the nature of the gold and the soil but definitely something to be aware of and experiment with.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am not aware of any difference between Park 2 and Field 2 other than the presets. Set identically, performance appears identical. The same with Park 1 and Field 1.

If in an area with little or no ferrous trash dig negative numbers, like down to -3. Gold in mineralized soil will read negative at times as the ground ferrous content skews and overwhelms the nugget non-ferrous reading. This is highly dependent on the nature of the gold and the soil but definitely something to be aware of and experiment with.

Ok, yes, thanks,  that makes complete sense.    Ill have to dig a little deeper into this one.. 🤔   now I cant wait to get out again! 

• Like 1

Micro,

I'm glad you posted it here on a forum where everyone appreciates the Nox's abilities but we sometimes don't stretch it like you did!

Could you tell us a little more about your 'technique?'  I mean did you rake and detect, micro-swing, gully or side hill and was the patch big?

Mitchel

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 9:13 AM, mn90403 said:

Micro,

I'm glad you posted it here on a forum where everyone appreciates the Nox's abilities but we sometimes don't stretch it like you did!

Could you tell us a little more about your 'technique?'  I mean did you rake and detect, micro-swing, gully or side hill and was the patch big?

Mitchel

the "patch" as I found it, was on the side of a gently sloping hill.  I had found one bigger piece (gram+) previously which was deeper than say 4-6" with sdc. I returned with a 12"evo  on the 4500 and didnt find anything else.

When I went back this time, i just scraped a few inches off of where Id found a smaller piece and found another, then another.   So I just used my pick and scraped back a few more inches in every direction.   As it turned out, the tiny pieces (which most id missed with the sdc) were within the top 2 inches, nothing deeper (or nothing deeper than I could detect) and no bedrock in sight.  

I was hunting a narrow parameter of signals (0,1,2,3) ignoring everything esle (but hearing and seeing 0 through40).   Signals were bouncing all over from iron and hot rocks which I removed if I could isolate them without digging too much.   Moving the coil really slow to pick up a solid tone, or id# and then giving it a little wiggle from different directions to lock on seemed to work.       

I really dont know how big the patch is haha, but what I found was  spread out within about 15'x10'.     If I had known this was the case, I would have brought a rake and pulled off the rocks first, detect, then scrape back an inch or two, repeat, being methodical and going slow.     I'm sure that I missed a few with my sloppy procedure, and not allowing or investigating -3,-2,-1....     and also not playing around with the settings to get it dialed in better..     Sure did enjoy not having to chase false signals and ground noise though!     

• Like 3

Wow, nice! Thanks for sharing...I have the 600 but like to use my Gold Monster on the tiny gold in my area...need to experiment more. That hillside seems like a nice place to try the drywasher too,

• Like 1