First Accessory Coil For The Simplex

Some like it hot 🥵 some like it cold 🥶 some like it in the pot 9 days old.

This just shows you can’t please everybody.

Dilek you have your hands full trying to please all of us .

The Best To You Lady !

Chuck 

Well here I go again having to eat my own words. I said I wasn’t going to buy another detector unless they had a small coil available. 

Today I sent Rob a check for the Simplex + but not with the wireless headphones. I don’t use any now so I didn’t see the need to spend the extra money.

If I have the need for a small coil I got one on my Sport.

Dilek it’s no rush on the small coil but tomorrow would be great if not sooner.haha

Chuck

• Like 1

Good for you Chuck. I have to admit to being tempted myself! I see no reason not to expect that most of the Kruzer coils below except perhaps the largest would not be available for the Simplex by sometime next year. That big coil would really be nose heavy on such a light detector.

82084DD9-A3AE-4F0A-B89F-9CBBC5EB254D.jpeg

• Like 2

Phrunt  

A new metal detector is like a beautiful woman. It too has curves in all the right places and I just got to have one.

I have one other weakness and that’s coils to go with that new detector.

Chuck 

Steve

That would be wonderful if like you say all the same coils for the Kruzer would be available for the Simplex + next year . If a guy couldn’t find a coil with such a large selection then they beyond help.

Chuck 

Sounds like a business opportunity Simon. You can go into semi-retirement 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guys I don’t know about you but what Dilek said is music to my ears.

Dilek Thanks for the heads up on some different coils to go with the Simplex +. I for one will be waiting for the good news they out and with money burning a hole in my pocket to buy what I want.

Chuck 

On 10/8/2019 at 7:46 PM, Chase Goldman said:

I understand what you are saying and you are dead on that it is all about profit margins.  But with more capability crammed into less expensive machines, how long do you think folks are going to continue to pay $300 to $400 more than Simplex for the next higher tier model in return for a host of features and complexity they do not need or desire for want of one or two key features (and minimal additional operational complexity) that appeal to them.  I think there is a way to get it done with some sort of pay as you go firmware update path.  It is obviously technically feasible as ML has just demonstrated with Equinox by rolling out a firmware update that provides additional iron bias filtering features/capability (for free vs. saving it for the Equinox II and ML built up some good karma from their Equinox user base for this move) and XP has been doing this for years with the Deus platform (you pay for additional capability by purchasing the "more capable" coils, but the programs that contain the features that take advantage of those new coil capabilities are dealt out for free and you get some limited feature upgrades even with the legacy coil hardware).  

With affordable simultaneous multifrequency technology variants (primarily ML for now), smart coils, wireless comms, electronic updates, waterproof boxes, light weight, compact, travel friendly stems, and ergonomically logical user interfaces already on the street in low to mid range detectors, there is not much technology left on the shelf that can really make a big splash as far as VLF induction balance detectors are concerned (perhaps augmented reality heads up displays that can give you target ID information and prompt you on coil coverage technique or site swing coverage?).  Certainly not at the price points of even just a few years ago.  So I am thinking that the detector manufacturers may need to re-think and innovate away from the traditional detector business model paradigm that mandates buying a new machine if want new or upgraded features.  The profit margins can be made up through pay as you go firmware-based capability upgrades and the tried and true method of charging handsomely for detector accessories like coils and wireless headphones peripherals like headphones and pinpointers.  Of course, there are never any free lunches and this approach can be a double edged sword as hardware production cost efficiencies are driven by volume and if less hardware is being produced that drives overhead costs at the manufacturing facilities, etc.

Garrett and FT need to get with the program or risk getting further lapped by Nokta, ML, and XP.

Just a few "out there" thoughts.  Now I am being paged by my peeps as I am overdue back at Area 51.  They only let me out for short furloughs now.

Cheers from Chase

I really like your idea Chase. This would actually be pretty smart and beneficial to all. Manufacturers could use the same shell and hardware from low end to high end and users can start where they can afford software wise. As you progress and as your budget allows you could buy upgrade packages downloadable over the internet. Start with something like the Simplex and as that feature set is mastered maybe some people would want extra single frequencies, or control over reactivity, or what have you. Those who never would've been able to afford a $700-$1,500 machine could invest in their base machine over time via software packages. It would even be nice to see companies making use of integrated cell phone apps to add features like a crude imaging program, spectrograph etc. Things you can only do with color. I think NM is talented and driven enough to pull that off. 

• Like 1