First Accessory Coil For The Simplex

I don't believe a la carte is doable for detectors.  Perhaps a base unit where you can select from a few (perhaps 3 or 4) packages would work.  they have to consider profit margins and the Simplex I'm quite sure would not be here without the profit from the high end units paving the way.

Very few automakers offer a la cart any more.  You buy a trim level or package. If there is desirable stand alone option you want, often times it requires purchasing a certain package to get it.  It's all about profit margins.

• Like 1

Dilek posted this in August 

"Yes, we will have a smaller coil available but not at launch... a little after...do not know when but it should not take too long. I believe the team is already working on a smaller DD 8.5'' round."

• Like 1

The Kruzer came out in early 2018 (not sure of the first delivery dates).  Here's a thread Steve started shortly afterward:

I don't expect the aftermarket coil manufacturers to wait too long for Simplex+ coil offerings.  Another kudo to Nokta/Makro for cooperating with the aftermarket coil manufacturers to provide better options for their customers.  And if you take that statement's potential double meaning as a slam at detector manufacturers who don't, well, I'm not going to object....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jackpine said:

I don't believe a la carte is doable for detectors.  Perhaps a base unit where you can select from a few (perhaps 3 or 4) packages would work.  they have to consider profit margins and the Simplex I'm quite sure would not be here without the profit from the high end units paving the way.

Very few automakers offer a la cart any more.  You buy a trim level or package. If there is desirable stand alone option you want, often times it requires purchasing a certain package to get it.  It's all about profit margins.

I understand what you are saying and you are dead on that it is all about profit margins.  But with more capability crammed into less expensive machines, how long do you think folks are going to continue to pay $300 to $400 more than Simplex for the next higher tier model in return for a host of features and complexity they do not need or desire for want of one or two key features (and minimal additional operational complexity) that appeal to them.  I think there is a way to get it done with some sort of pay as you go firmware update path.  It is obviously technically feasible as ML has just demonstrated with Equinox by rolling out a firmware update that provides additional iron bias filtering features/capability (for free vs. saving it for the Equinox II and ML built up some good karma from their Equinox user base for this move) and XP has been doing this for years with the Deus platform (you pay for additional capability by purchasing the "more capable" coils, but the programs that contain the features that take advantage of those new coil capabilities are dealt out for free and you get some limited feature upgrades even with the legacy coil hardware).  

With affordable simultaneous multifrequency technology variants (primarily ML for now), smart coils, wireless comms, electronic updates, waterproof boxes, light weight, compact, travel friendly stems, and ergonomically logical user interfaces already on the street in low to mid range detectors, there is not much technology left on the shelf that can really make a big splash as far as VLF induction balance detectors are concerned (perhaps augmented reality heads up displays that can give you target ID information and prompt you on coil coverage technique or site swing coverage?).  Certainly not at the price points of even just a few years ago.  So I am thinking that the detector manufacturers may need to re-think and innovate away from the traditional detector business model paradigm that mandates buying a new machine if want new or upgraded features.  The profit margins can be made up through pay as you go firmware-based capability upgrades and the tried and true method of charging handsomely for detector accessories like coils and wireless headphones peripherals like headphones and pinpointers.  Of course, there are never any free lunches and this approach can be a double edged sword as hardware production cost efficiencies are driven by volume and if less hardware is being produced that drives overhead costs at the manufacturing facilities, etc.

Garrett and FT need to get with the program or risk getting further lapped by Nokta, ML, and XP.

Just a few "out there" thoughts.  Now I am being paged by my peeps as I am overdue back at Area 51.  They only let me out for short furloughs now.

Cheers from Chase

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lacky said:

Dilek posted this in August 

"Yes, we will have a smaller coil available but not at launch... a little after...do not know when but it should not take too long. I believe the team is already working on a smaller DD 8.5'' round."

Hooray!  Nokta is plugged into the detector user base pulse better than just about anyone else out there.  Now how about that concentric Jack wants for number 3, whaddya say Nokta?  Rooting for you.

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The Kruzer came out in early 2018 (not sure of the first delivery dates).  Here's a thread Steve started shortly afterward:

I don't expect the aftermarket coil manufacturers to wait too long for Simplex+ coil offerings.  Another kudo to Nokta/Makro for cooperating with the aftermarket coil manufacturers to provide better options for their customers.  And if you take that statement's potential double meaning as a slam at detector manufacturers who don't, well, I'm not going to object....

I agree and know of whom you speak, Chuck.  #Limited AM Coil Selection is Frustrating

I think a 8.5” round coil (dd or concentric) would be excellent and I’d certainly get one unless overpriced.  I think most would agree that 9” is perfect for all around use. 11” is too big for all conditions. 

3 hours ago, relicmeister said:

I think a 8.5” round coil (dd or concentric) would be excellent and I’d certainly get one unless overpriced.  I think most would agree that 9” is perfect for all around use. 11” is too big for all conditions. 

I keep the 9in concentric on my Anfibio most of the time, I also have the 7in but I agree that the 9in is a great all around coil. I hope it will be available for the Simplex.

My vote would be a 7" concentric. Awesome little coil, and would mate up perfectly with the Simplex for general purpose coin/jewellery hunting.