Vibration Mode - Secret Weapon For Water Detecting?

It seems like everyone has issues with the volume on underwater detector headphones. I am very much intrigued by the idea of using the Nokta/Makro vibration mode and no headphones at all for hunting in the water with a mask and snorkel. Not only a savings in money but a real potential boon for those who are hard of hearing anyway. This is a feature that deserves more investigation than it seems to have gotten so far.

Vibration

This feature provides feedback to the user by producing a vibration effect when a target is detected. It can be used independently or together with the audio response. When audio response is disabled, all responses during target detection are provided to the user as vibration only.

When the vibration is turned on, the device provides short vibration signals upon target detection. The magnitude of the vibration effect can vary according to the depth of the target and the swinging speed.

This setting is common in all search modes.

To turn on or off the vibration, after selecting vibration in the settings menu, use the plus (+) and the minus (-) buttons.

Vibration may not be felt in the All Metal mode with weak signals; it will be felt as the signal gets stronger. In other words, vibration does not start at the depth where the audio tones are heard but at a lesser depth. Therefore, if you are detecting with vibration only and audio tones are off, you can
miss weaker and deeper signals.

NOTE: The vibration setting always comes in off position when device is turned off and on again.

nokta-makro-simplex+-waterproof-wireless-metal-detector-lcd-display-controls.jpg
Nokta/Makro Simplex+ display and controls

• Like 1

I experimented with the vibration settings in the water when I first got the MKruzer.  I probably didn’t stick with it long enough to get comfortable with it.  I can say it worked best for me using the 2tone(VCO) modes.  On the Kruzer the duration of the vibration is adjustable and you just have to play with the settings to find whats most comfortable to you.  The only main drawback I found was that you can’t run the detector too hot or the handle is constantly tingling with the minor vibrations.  

• Like 1

I’ve said this before and so many things is way back when.

In the early 70’s I hunted with a guy that couldn’t talk and also couldn’t hear . He and I both hunted with a 66 TR from White’s. I found that this company made items to help people like him. One was it had a vibrate unit that plugged into the speaker plug that I put in for him . To me it worked great but he liked to watch the big meter that the detector had . You put it on your arm like you do your watch and it worked the same as the Simplex will.

Sorry guys I just had to give you another history lesson.

Chuck 

• Like 2