Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

White's Electronics TDI High Q

All-new patented 8"×12″ Dual Field coil for improved depth and sensitivity. Bonus 7.5″ Dual Field concentric coil for a limited time!

To hunt all day, you need a lightweight detector that still provides high performance. The TDI SL Metal Detector has pulse induction power that provides unbeatable depth and sensitivity and is designed specifically for prospecting and identifying relics.

Special prospecting features make life easier, such full-control ground balance that filters out the iron mineralization of hot rocks, black sand, and other tough grounds.

This compact detector weighs only 3.5 pounds with its waterproof 7.5" x 12” High-Q Search Coil, which offers deep detection depth. Other accessory coils are also available.

The rechargeable NIMH battery lasts up to 6 hours, and a backup AA battery back will power all-day exploration.

Owner's Manual (for TDI SL series, none specific to High-Q)

whites-tdi-hi-q-camo.jpg
White's TDI SL High-Q Camo metal detector

White's TDI SL High Q Technical Specifications*
Internet Price TDI SL High Q $1099 (available in both tan or camo colors)
Technology Ground Balancing Pulse Induction (GBPI)
Frequency 3250 - 3370 Pulses Per Second
Autotune Mode(s) Slow Motion
Ground Rejection Manual, one turn control
Soil Adjust Ground Balance On or Off (two position switch)
Discrimination Conductivity switch*, 10 - 25 Pulse Delay
Volume Control No
Threshold Control One turn control
Tone Adjust No
Audio Boost No
Frequency Offset One turn control
Pinpoint Mode No
Audio Output Speaker, 1/4" headphone socket
Hip Mount No
Standard Coil(s) 7.5" x 12" High Q plus bonus 7.5" round Dual Field (Limited Time only)
Optional Search Coils Over 100 accessory coils available by White's and others
Battery Rechargeable NiMH & AA
Operating Time Up to 6 hours
Weight 3.5 pounds
Additional Technology

The TDI was designed specifically to be able to use Minelab SD/GP compatible coils. However, performance can vary and the pulse delay may have to be advanced to compensate for coil differences that result in overload readings.

Notes *The TDI is unique in that it can suppress audio responses into two different classes. Targets have a high tone or low tone audio depending on how the target relates to the ground balance setting. In general high conductive targets give a low tone and low conductive targets a high tone. The TDI can be set to allow for one response or the other. See White's TDI Coin Settings for more details on this control.

*Notes on Technical Specifications - Detailed notes about the specifications listed in this chart.

whites-tdi-hi-q-tan.jpg
White's TDI SL High-Q Tan metal detector

whites-tdi-high-q-coil.jpg
White's 7.5" x 12" High-Q coil for TDI series

whites-tdi-7-dual-field-coil.jpg
White's 7.5" round Dual Field coil for TDI series

• Like 2

What is the "Auto-tune" Mode, Steve? Never heard of that.

Jim

All threshold based motion type detectors have a threshold autotune or reset rate, either preset or adjustable. I added a link to the tech notes. Plus here is a detailed article...

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/steves-guide-metal-detector-autotune-threshold-sat-vsat/

• Like 1

I had no idea that the TDI had that. The threshold on mine rises as the battery voltage declines, so I have to keep turning it down. But, it's relatively flat other than that. Just never thought about it.

Also, the ad I swa for the new Whites TDI showed, and said, it had an 8 x14 DF. Apparently that ad was wrong.

Jim

The tan page on whites website says 12” and the camo page says 14” and all the dealer ads out say 12”. The Miner John was 12” so I am going with that until proven otherwise.

The only thing that would have made the video better if the TDI SL had been tan with that new coil .

Chuck 

Note they said the Auto-Tune was "slow motion". That means if you swing it too fast, the A-T can't keep up. I think that may be what Reg Sniff's sweep speed mod was designed to cure. I also noticed in the video how slow they were swinging. I can see that in a patch, but you wouldn't cover much ground in general searching.

Jim

• Like 1

I like this machine, i want one. 🙂

Now the question is, can we use 8 x Energizer Ultimate Lithium's to gain the voltage needed for depth.

8 x 1.81v = 14.48v

If the voltage did not drop almost instantly to 1.5 volts that might work. Reality is probably “no”. From https://data.energizer.com/pdfs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf:

From

”Although the higher OCV of the LiFeS2 system is 1.8 volts, the nominal or rated voltage is 1.5 volts which makes it a suitable replacement for alkaline and nickel systems. The battery voltage will drop when it is placed under load. For this reason, the higher OCV will typically not damage electronic components, but device designers should take into consideration that the OCV of fresh batteries can range from 1.79 to 1.83V. LiFeS2 batteries fully meet the ANSI specification for a 1.5V battery. When a drain has been applied to the battery, the OCV drops dramatically and then slowly recovers with time.”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Note they said the Auto-Tune was "slow motion". That means if you swing it too fast, the A-T can't keep up. I think that may be what Reg Sniff's sweep speed mod was designed to cure. I also noticed in the video how slow they were swinging. I can see that in a patch, but you wouldn't cover much ground in general searching.

Jim

You have a very valid point.

• Like 1