Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

White's Electronics TDI High Q

2 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Note they said the Auto-Tune was "slow motion".

“They” is me... I wrote up that spec sheet based on my involvement in the orIginal TDI project from day one. Before day one actually. :smile: Anyway, all motion detectors have an optimum sweep speed unless it’s adjustable, as in the White’s V/SAT control. Simply bury a target and sweep over it to find the best sweep speed. There is too fast and too slow and “just right”. A lot of modern VLF detectors do best at a pretty fast clip and people actually hurt themselves slowing down too much. But again, specs are just an indicator, only actually testing your machine will give you a feel for the proper sweep speed. Some machines are forgiving in this regard and some very picky. Knowing this is another thing that gives an operator that magic edge. The TDI in general benefits from “low and slow”.

• Like 1

I didn't realize you wrote that, Steve. But I am glad a I did the sweep speed mod to mine. I have to sweep a bit faster, but that's no big deal. I prefer that to having to sweep really slow to detect the small stuff. It's possible the C56 & diode mod helps in that regard...making the SL more sensitive.

Jim

• Like 1

Thinking about the sweep speed. it would be nice, on the SL, to have a small bit of circuitry to allow the filtering to be adjusted on the fly. Something to allow the capacitance in the filter to be changed...even a 3 -position switch would be great. I'm going to be thinking about that this winter....which, according to the weatherman, is going to start this afternoon. Supposed to be 16 in the morning, with light snow on the ground.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Thinking about the sweep speed. it would be nice, on the SL, to have a small bit of circuitry to allow the filtering to be adjusted on the fly. Something to allow the capacitance in the filter to be changed...even a 3 -position switch would be great.

Great idea! 👍

Hi Steve, Do you think with the 12x8 DF coil that the TDI SL could be better than a GM1000?

Better for what? Finding small gold? No way. Handling difficult ground and hot rocks? That is what a PI is for more than anything else. In moderate to low mineral conditions with few or no hot rocks you are better off with a VLF and since this is the White’s forum 24K or GMT. If those machines are having fits due to the ground or the hot rocks, then you switch to a PI like the TDI. My little saying is “use a VLF when you can and a PI when you have to”. :smile:

People talk about finding small gold with a PI like the TDI but it’s all relative. Compared to the 24K the TDI is relatively blind to tiny gold and wiry, spongy gold. For my northern Nevada low mineral, small gold locations I prefer the 24K to the TDI.

PI detectors, since they ignore the ground far better than a VLF, have an inherent ability to run much larger coils than a VLF. In bad ground a large coil on a VLF is actually counterproductive, since ground feedback overwhelms and negates any hoped for depth advantage. That’s why you rarely see coils larger than about 14” employed on VLF detectors.

Since PI detectors are far less subject to ground issues they can run much larger coils effectively, making them superior at finding larger items at greater depths. It is not unusual to see 18” coils on PI detectors and coils up to 36” are employed regularly by some users.

• Like 6

Thank you, very informative. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tony
      Seriously....?
      https://www.metaldetector.com/whites-tdi-beachhunter-extreme-pulse-waterproof-metal-detector

• By Glenn in CO
      Does anyone know any information on the new coil for the TDI SL and if the coil will be available separately?

TDI SL is now ... TDI Hi-Q
      A new high performance coil design for added depth -
      in two options
      TAN Part Number: 800-0334-Hi-Q
      CAMO 800-0334-Camo
      MSRP: $1199.95
      MAP: $1099.00

• By Steve Herschbach
      ATX, TDI, GPX. What is it with detector companies and three letter acronyms? I liked it more when they were called Coinmaster or Goldmaster. At least that gave you a clue about what the detector was supposed to do.

The three detectors representing the state of the art in ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) metal detectors. The Garrett ATX, White's TDI, and Minelab GPX 5000. You rarely see them all pictured together so I thought I would post one.

Garrett ATX, White's TDI, Minelab GPX 5000
      These three detectors are all very good at what they are basically made for, which is dealing with ground mineralization and hot rocks that make using VLF detectors very difficult. In particular VLF performance is severely impeded in extremely mineralized ground. In low mineral ground a good VLF prospecting detector running in all metal mode can deliver results rivaling PI detectors with the added benefit of having good discrimination options. Anybody doing much prospecting, however, will eventually run into locations where ground mineralization and hot rocks makes using a VLF such a challenge that a good ground balancing pulse induction detector is the only real option.
      The GPX 5000 represents the current state of the art, and is the easy option if money is no object. It is well designed for long hours of prospecting, has an incredible variety of optional coils, and can handle most any ground conditions with many tuning options.
      The Garrett ATX provides performance that comes close to the GPX at a much lower price, with the added benefit of being waterproof to ten feet. Actually, this is only a benefit if you need it. Otherwise it makes the detector heavier than need be and limits the available coil options. Still, if the GPX is not an option the ATX would be my next choice in a new detector with a warranty. For those needed waterproof it is the only real option along with its predecessor, the Garrett Infinium.
      The White's TDI is an older design but still very capable. It costs less than the other two options, and unlike the Garrett it has light weight versions and models that can be hip or chest mounted. It is a good option to explore for those on a budget or needing the most ergonomic solution. The TDI is also a very respected beach detector, like the ATX above, but it has no waterproof option.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Something to watch out for. Extra desiccant pouches in the case my not be a bad idea, along with changing them regularly.
      http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/white-s/612770-tdi-beach-hunter-already-going-back-repairs.html
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Back around 2008 I was involved with the use of the White's TDI in a very big way at my mine at Moore Creek, Alaska. I made various posts at locations around the internet on our success with the TDI but never did get around to collecting it all together in one place. Until now. I just made a belated entry on Steve Mining Journal titled White's TDI at Moore Creek, Alaska - Summer 2008. Lots of gold nugget stories and photos there - check it out.

Also added a page about the TDI itself I am still working on but a ton of information there at White's PulseScan TDI Metal Detector already so went ahead and posted it.

0.31 ounce Gold Specimen found with White's TDI
    • By Smithsgold
      River Detecting for Gold Nuggets
      See who gets the Biggest Nugget
      Gold Prospector's Jeff ( Smithsgold ) and Gary ( Two Toes ) Head to the Hills in search of  rare Gold Nuggets.
      Watch and see who gets the most Gold and the Biggest Nugget.
      SG 010