Equinox Waterproof Issues

Joe D.

Hello everyone, 

I'm recently new to the site, and was going through the threads, and can't find the one that talked about Equinox water intrusion! So I'm starting a new one! Several months ago i bought a silicone cover and battery compartment seal combo that seems to prevent the problem! But i can't find it on Ebay again! Hope you all will be more successful in locating this product! Here is a screenshot that i saved, and also a picture of the battery seal in place, and removed! I believe it came from the Ukraine! The cover comes with several silicone ties to secure any openings! So far it's worked well, but i have not dive tested! It would seem to me that the battery compartment is the weak link for water intrusion, other than the obvious wire entry points and caps! But this seals all points covered! Good luck and happy hunting!     Joe D.

Screenshot_20191008-221214_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191008-223404_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191008-223357_Gallery.jpg

And if your Nox has a manufacturig defect that violates watertight integrity of the housing, that cover and insert is likely not going be 100% effective.  The Nox is designed to be watertight down to 10 feet.  If your Nox leaks under those conditions it is defective and should be replaced under the terms of its 3-year warranty.  As far as I can tell, ML is honoring the warranty for that situation each and every time on the rare event it does happen.  Also, be careful about applying a cover like the one described as the Nox needs to be able to dissipate heat from the housing under high outside ambient temperature conditions and bright sunlight.  Some users have reported screen blacking and erratic behavior under extreme heat conditions even with those commonly used slip-on black vinyl sleeves with clear faceplate protectors. Buyer beware.  HTH.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very few to my knowledge have been from the battery end..... more so from the screen.... and oddly some still work when the operator noticed it.   Id think if it was the battery youd be getting a real response.    Ive had mine under water for hundreds of hours....... so i agree with Chase ...... if you get intrusion it wasnt right in the first place and we have a GREAT warranty here...... use it.    I have been reading a few more of the machines may need BURPED ....because of weak sound, there is a post of that.  Im here to tell you..... if you guys think you are going to NOT have any trouble with ANY machine you put in the salt water you are mistaken.    Plan for it...... be glad you find enough to pay for those repairs when the machine is out of warranty...... thank ML for the 3 years, it could have been 1 like on the Xcal.

I also talked to Keith at ML PA about those after market battery covers.  He didnt recommend me and has had a few machines that those may have created the problem.

• Like 5

Thanks for the info! Steve sent me all the threads on leaking issues. I like his idea of selling a few months from warranty end. I didn't think of the thermal issue with silicone cover in place, but i would hope the water temperature would offset that problem. I've had it about 10 months, and the only issue i have had was a recent  broken coil tab! Minelab is currently resolving this, and there service department has done a fine job! I also agree that any detector will have wear and tear issues. I would like to see the plastic arm cuff replaced with an aluminum version. Other than that, I'm very happy with Minelab's warranty and craftmanship! 

30 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

I didn't think of the thermal issue with silicone cover in place, but i would hope the water temperature would offset that problem.

It should provided it is constantly submerged or being doused by wave action (though the silicon can act as a thermal insulator of sorts and if the heat is being generated in the housing electronics, the water can’t remove that heat as effectively with the silicon barrier, but yeah, probably a non issue in the water).  Also, many water hunters I know often hunt at the tide line or in the wet sand during their detecting session and in direct sunlight, without water cooling off the now exposed but silicon sealed housing, things can heat up really fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chase, that makes sense, i will keep that in mind! Thanks! And i just replaced my arm cuff with a Jeff Herke aluminum verson from Steve! Can't wait on Minelab to upgrade! That's when i found the broken coil tab, so i haven't got to try it yet!

• Like 2

Allow me to suggest one more caution about full covers that I learned the hard way. 

Last June, I took my EQX to the Florida Keys and it was HOT!!!.  I had a protective cover over the control box and after a short while, my EQX started to malfunction.  The display went crazy and the buttons didn't work properly.  I removed the cover, allowed the EQX to cool down and everything returned to normal operation. 

At that time, I made a "wild guess" that the cover, which covered up the speaker/vent holes in the back, may be preventing the EQX from "breathing properly."  Again, just a guess at that point.  I cut out part of the cover exposing the holes to the air and have not had a problem since and I hunt on Florida beaches year round.

If this cover you describe is a full silicon cover and your hunting in hot weather, you may, and I say may, experience the same malfunction.

I'd be very cautious were I you but that's just the view from my foxhole...Good luck.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

Last June, I took my EQX to the Florida Keys and it was HOT!!!.  I had a protective cover over the control box and after a short while, my EQX started to malfunction.  The display went crazy and the buttons didn't work properly.  I removed the cover, allowed the EQX to cool down and everything returned to normal operation. 

At that time, I made a "wild guess" that the cover, which covered up the speaker/vent holes in the back, may be preventing the EQX from "breathing properly."  Again, just a guess at that point.  I cut out part of the cover exposing the holes to the air and have not had a problem since and I hunt on Florida beaches year round.

Likely your mod did alleviate the problem sufficiently to get the unit cool enough to operate again.  However, I suspect those clear plastic loose fitting covers suffer from the greenhouse effect.  This is the reason interiors of automobiles build up such high temps in the sun:

https://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1606

Do you use these covers to protect from saltwater spray?

Thanks ColonelDan, keep dry in the foxhole!

I've used a black slip-on cover since i got the detector! I'm in South Florida, and so far( knock on metal), I've had no heat issues with any of my detectors! It's also black like many detectors, and i can see where that may be an issue!  But i like the cutout suggestion! It's rare that i water hunt , so i have not used the silicone boot yet! Just the battery seal gasket that was supplied with the boot! I may get some fabric paint and paint my cover a light color to help also!    Joe