Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Cell Phone On A Stick Detector Design

The cell phone is now a common day device owned by most people. It was inevitable that a metal detector designer would mimic the look and feel of a cell phone in an attempt to modernize how metal detectors are perceived. As far as I know it was Quest (back when they were named Deteknix) that first came up with this design. Or at lest they were the first to really market something like this in 2015. Then we next got the Minelab Equinox in 2018. And now the Nokta/Makro Simplex+ in 2019.

Some might call this copycat designing but form follows function to a certain degree and all items copy others in some ways. All T-shirts have a head hole and two arm holes. Still, I think Deteknix/Quest gets the credit here for first popularizing this design. I'll be surprised if more are not to follow.

quest-waterproof-wireless-metal-detector.jpg
Quest metal detector

minelab-equinox-underwater-wireless-metal-detector.jpg
Minelab Equinox metal detector

nokta-makro-simplex-underwater-wireless-metal-detector.jpg
Nokta/Makro Simplex+ metal detector

quest-waterproof-wireless-metal-detector-lcd-controls.jpg
Quest metal detector controls & display

minelab-equinox-underwater-wireless-metal-detector-display.jpg
Minelab Equinox metal detector controls & display

nokta-makro-simplex-underwater-wireless-metal-detector-display.jpg
Nokta/Makro Simplex+ metal detector controls & display

I wonder if that form factor somehow facilitates IP68 environmental qualification as all three of those detectors are waterproof to at least 3 meters.

In fact, I was surprised to see ML move away from that form factor for Vanquish.  Which is NOT waterproof, btw.

I would really like to see Nokta repackage the features of the Anfibio into the Simplex form factor and include the ergonomic streamlined UI  (even if the price leaned more heavily towards Anfibio than Simplex).  But I would settle for the “simple” addition of an additional higher operating frequency selection (e.g., 24 kHz) to a Simplex ++ deluxe model.  :smile:

Regardless, the streamlined simplicity, economy, and mid-to-high level performance capability of Simplex+ is more intriguing to me than Vanquish, and I might just spring for the Simplex to see what it can do out of the box.  There is something strangely liberating about knowing that you can’t tweak settings and just gotta make do with what you have in your hands and trust that the designers have it optimally tweaked for 95% of situations, right out of the box.  Reminds me of my Tek Delta days, a detector I still keep around for sentimental reasons and because it has an awesome concentric 8” coin grabber coil.   And I like my Equinox form factor so what’s not to like about Simplex.

• Like 1

Not to quibble, but to me the ultimate and original cell phone on a stick is the XP Deus.

I think a little before the first version of the Deteknix Quest Pro was the Minelab Go Find/National Geographic series........

Jeff

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Minelab Go Find/National Geographic series........

Ironically, it connected to your cell phone.

I was thinking more of this series of waterproof units that are obviously quite similar, but sure, let’s toss the 2009 XP Deus in as the unit that pointed the way. 👍 Don’t call the Deus rod a stick however. That’s what the other ones are, XP did far better with their sculpted S rod. :smile:

xp-deus-metal-detector.jpg

xp-deus-control-panel-display.jpg

• Like 1

It’s not the “cell phone” that’s the problem - it’s the dumb stick.  The Deus rod is strong, lightweight and ergonomic.  All the various “cell phone on a stick” designs suffer from the same terrible ergonomics.  Every swing reversal causes rotation about the axis of the shaft. 

Look at the picture above of the Deus. The axis of force goes from the middle of the arm cuff, through the middle of the grip to the center of the coil. On almost all of the “CPOS” (cell phone on stick) designs that line reaches the ground well in front of the front edge of the coil. Hence the torque around the axis of force with each swing initiation/reversal.

It’s not me saying that.  In 2018 I showed my new Nox to Dave Johnson in El Paso. While I was 6 feet away and before he touched it, he said - “Let me show you how the ergonomics are flawed”

FBF17ED5-0238-4B1A-AD65-149BB5480A32.jpeg

Yeah, that is something you bring up a lot Rick. For some reason I have no problem swinging them for 10 hour days, two weeks straight. You are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to machines weighing under three pounds.

Glad it suits you. 

You said that the Deus pointed the way to CPOS detectors. My point is that the Deus rod is WAY more than a stick.  

As far as it being something that “you bring up a lot Rick” - you must be sensitive to this, because I just dis a quick search of all my posts on this forum back to when I got my first Nox800 and then showed it to Dave Johnson. There were two I could find...

May 18 2018... The ergonomic argument against the straight shaft is based on the fact that if you look at a straight shaft detector set-up from the side, then draw a line from the inside bottom of the arm cup through the center of the handle, that line projects out to a point well above (in front of) the junction of the shaft with the coil.  This results in torque (twisting) when you initiate or reverse a swing with the coil.  This force must be resisted by your body.  It also introduces twisting strains on the handle mount and the joints in the rod. Here’s a quick and dirty sketch. (Same sketch attached)

June 9 2018...”There’s an excellent reason why detectors are laid out the way the vast majority of them are - straight shafts mean the the handgrip twists at each swing reversal.  

I guess that’s “a lot”

I agree about the Deus. I also agree about the theory of what you are saying. And I still think it’s a relative non-issue from a practical standpoint for machines this light. The Deus is an imbalanced nose heavy detector, but at the weight level it is at it simply is not a big deal.

Since you edited your post to comment on “a lot” I will do the same. I read ALL the forums Rick.

• Like 1

I don’t disagree with your summary - guess I don’t like being accused of “bringing it up a lot”- I just edited my above post to document how often I have done so on this forum - (unless I missed something) Sounds like I have some axe to grind. I don’t. The Nox is an amazing machine which has revolutionized the detector marketplace. I have had two of them. It has lousy ergonomics and it’s light weight is its redeeming feature.  One wonders however if the well documented problems with the shafts and coil ear breakage don’t have something to do with physics rearing its ugly head.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ☠ Cipher
      I would like to see what any of you have created as far as displaying your metal detectors at home. I'm looking for creative ideas to make a home display myself. I'm entertaining many ideas from open to closed displays, even using Curio cabinets. To be clear, I'm looking for ways to display machines primarily, which could be mixed with finds as well. 
    • By principedeleon
      Hello everyone ..
      I wonder if there anyone who uses a 3D metal detector to locate gold deposits @ around 15 to 20 feet deep... 
      I have heard of larger nuggets of 1 and 2 pounds in size and gold deposits with 300 grams in a bucket of dirt being found in the river banks. 
      Could a GPX with the New 30" coil   could reach a 1 or. 2 pound nugget  @ 4 feet deep... 
      Im not interested in the finer gold just the bigger nuggets or a large concentrate of gold ..

• By rled2005
      This is a nice concept. If works I can see a lot of interest.

• By DSMITH
      Can someone explain to me what makes this new Anfibio different from a X TERRA 705 the 705 can run three different frequencies all be it you have to change coils to be able to run any of the three different frequencies it can run the Anfibio you push a button to change frequencies but with that being said I also know I can purchase a coil from a manufacturer that pretty much allows me to run one coil on the 705 and just by turning the 705 off and back on in a short time period it changes to one of the different frequencies that the 705 can run in in other words one single coil will run 3 KHz,7.5 KHz,and 18.75 KHz all done with just one coil so can someone please explain how the Anfibio is any different from the X TERRA 705 and not trying to start a bashing war here just trying to understand how the Anfibio is much different from the 705.

• By Steve Herschbach
      High Frequency Gold Nugget Detector Roundup
      Our cup runneth over!
      Just a few years ago the market for "over 30 kHz nugget detectors" was quite limited. For a long time there were only a few options:
      Fisher Gold Bug 2 (71 kHz) $764 with one coil
      Minelab Eureka Gold (6.4, 20, & 60 kHz) Discontinued $1049 when new with one coil
      White's GMZ (50 kHz) Discontinued $499 when new with one coil
      White's GMT (48 khz) $729 with one coil
      Things were that way for over a decade. Then in 2015 Makro introduced the Gold Racer (56 kHz) $599 with one coil. Sister company Nokta released the AU Gold Finder (56 kHz) $799 with two coils
      Then in 2017 we see the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (45 khz) at $799 with two coils. And although not a dedicated nugget detector, the Deus high frequency coil options (up to 80 kHz) were also released, $1520 for complete detector with one HF coil.
      Now in 2018 we get another general purpose machine, the Equinox 800, that can hit 40 khz, $899 with one coil. And just announced...
      the Makro Gold Kruzer (61 kHz) $749 with two coils and
      the White's Goldmaster 24K (48 khz) $729 with one coil
      These last two announcements have made barely a ripple in the prospecting world, or at least going by other forums that seems to be the case. There are various reason for that (forums not being prospecting oriented or being Minelab centric) but still the lack of buzz is interesting. I do believe people are both burned out by all the new introductions and that the market is saturated with high frequency models. Leaving out the general purpose machines to sum up the current options it looks like the current "sweet spot" for pricing is a high frequency model at $749 with two coils. The Gold Bug 2 saw a price reduction to $699.
      Makro Gold Racer 56 kHz - $599 one coil
      Fisher Gold Bug 2 71 kHz - $699 one coil
      White's Goldmaster 24K 48 kHz - $729 one coil
      White's GMT 48 khz - $729 one coil
      Makro Gold Kruzer 61 kHz - $749 two coils
      Minelab Gold Monster 1000 45 kHz - $799 two coils
      Nokta AU Gold Finder 56 kHz - $799 two coils
      Added 1/2019 XP ORX up to 81 kHz - $899 one coil

High frequency nugget detectors compared

White's Goldmaster 24K, Minelab Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Makro Gold Kruzer

Minelab Gold Monster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Impact
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Here is a photo with some gold nuggets from Alaska, Australia, and California that I tested recently to show how VDI (visual display indicator) numbers vary dramatically with size, shape, and purity.
      Metal detectors do not know what metal is being detected. The target id number is based first on the conductivity of the item and also by the size of the item. Low conductive targets have low numbers, but the larger they are the higher the numbers go. Silver is the best conductor with gold being moderately conductive by comparison. Small gold items read very low, in the foil range, but the larger the nugget, the higher the numbers will go.
      Oddly enough adding silver to gold causes the conductivity to drop dramatically instead of adding to it. Pure metals are far better conductors than alloys. That being the case the Alaska gold has much lower conductivity than the Aussie or California gold.
      I have always used a U.S. nickel as a surrogate for about a 1/4 ounce gold nugget, a flattened nugget of that weight being close to a nickel in physical size. Part of this little study is to show how close to reality or not that may be, or any test items like lead or aluminum.
      I do not have much in the way of “normal” metal detectors these days. The closest I have right now is a White’s DFX which reads a nickel as 22 VDI, dime 78, and quarter 84. The White's VDI range is close to being a standard, with negative numbers relating to ground minerals and ferrous items, positive number non-ferrous. The range is from -95 to +95 with non-ferrous items falling between 1 and 95.
      The photo shows tests I just did on a variety of gold nuggets from Alaska, Australia, and California. The Australia gold is the purest, probably around 95% or better. The California is around 90% plus. The Alaska gold is much lower purity, closer to 80 – 85% average. You can see the purity differences in the color - pure gold is a very rich gold color, less pure gold much paler in appearance.
      Click for larger version....

Gold nugget target id numbers
      A few things become immediately obvious. Larger size means higher VDI numbers. However, purity appears to be even more important.
      Shape, thickness, and solidity all matter – skin effects? Smooth solid masses read much higher than nuggets with pitted surfaces.
      All weights are in grams except a couple larger nuggets which are Troy ounces (ozt). There are 15.43 grains to a gram. 31.103 grams per Troy ounce.
      In general in all three locales you can say that nuggets under 2 grams are going to read in the foil range.
      As nugget size increases however huge disparities are obvious due to purity, with all but the largest Alaska gold reading at much lower VDI ranges, and Australia gold very high numbers.
      There are some odd ones that prove the situation. The Alaska 29.82 gram nugget is just under one ounce, but VDI 21, almost an exact nickel reading. This is because this nugget is probably 75% - 80% gold. You can see the color difference compared to the Australian gold next to it. It also is deeply pitted. The 4.93 gram nugget directly under it is solid and smooth and about 85% pure and so has a VDI number double what you see in the much larger nugget.
      The Alaska 15.19 gram is round and solid but has quartz mixed with it, maybe 80% gold in metallic portion, only 12 VDI. The 1.25 oz Alaska in lower right has a lot of quartz and metallic portion is maybe 75% gold, so only 28 VDI.
      But get big enough, and at 6.52 ounces, 85% gold, solid and smooth, you get a reading up in half dollar 90 VDI range.
      For California gold I am guessing that at about 3 grams you get a nickel reading but in Australia it might be closer to 1.5 grams, and in Alaska closer to ½ ounce.
      Bottom line? The nugget size to get a U.S. nickel reading is all over the map from roughly 3 grams to 15 grams but can go up to nearly an ounce for nuggets of low purity with included quartz and pitted surfaces. Saying a U.S. nickel is roughly equivalent to a 1/4 oz nugget can be true and is probably as close as you will get to some sort of average, but reality is the range of nuggets that have a VDI the same as a nickel is pretty surprising.
      The final zinger is that these are air tests. Ground minerals will change the numbers, typically pulling them down. The worse the ground mineralization, the lower the numbers will shift.

There are a few lessons here. The first being that if you know nothing about the gold you are chasing you need to dig all targets or at a minimum all non-ferrous targets. However, if you do have a target id detector and get to know the gold in your location well, you can cherry pick with some degree of accuracy. The number one factor really is size because large nuggets are very rare. Certain areas despite wishful thinking simply do not produce large gold. If you know for a fact all the gold ever found in an area is in small gram size nuggets and even smaller, you can figure high VDI numbers are probably shell casings or some other undesired target. Further, in places like Alaska with low purity gold (not all of it - Alaska is a big place) then low VDI numbers will be the norm. The numbers speak for themselves however and you can draw whatever conclusions you want.
      I have to admit that while I know all this intellectually from years of detecting to see it laid out clearly in a simple photo really drives the lesson home. It took rounding up some Australia gold and California gold to really make it a good comparison.
      To further illustrate that gold as a rough rule boils down to "the larger the gold, the higher the target id number" here is the standard White's scale as printed on several top end metal detector control boxes. It shows where gold coins, gold rings, and gold nuggets generally fall on the White's -95 to +95 scale where negative numbers are normally ferrous. Pay extreme attention to the fact that White's says small gold can fall as low as -20 on their scale - deep into the ferrous range. At the other extreme a $20 gold coin may read as high as a silver dime or quarter. The gold range covers the majority of the metal detector target id scale.
      White's Electronics standard target id scale -95 to +95