Problem With My Fisher F44

I turn on or a at least try to turn on My fisher f44 and then when i do it goes crazy like its on pinpoint mode and i cant even change through the diffrent modes can anyone help me ?

To reset your F44 to the default factory settings:

1. Turn the detector off.
2. Hold the MENU button down while pressing the Power button.

NOTE: This reset will erase any custom tone settings you may have entered in the Custom Mode.

Make sure the coil connection is not loose.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Put in fresh batteries.   Low batteries will make them go crazy.

HH
Mike

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Had the same problem!

First i sent it back in under warrenty. it fixed it! then 1 year later it happend again.. now i was upset and was going to find out the problem as no one on the internet could tell me.

Lets get to the Solution!

The problem lies in the buttons they use. as previous member talked about it seemes like its stuck on pinpoint. And thats quite right. The buttons are membrane buttons and when moisture comes between the buttons it activets them. making them be activeted even tho you dont press the pinpoint or any other of the buttons. You can test this by opening your detector and remove the connector from the buttons to the circuitboard, the mashine will now turn on when batteries are put in and work normally.

The solutions to the problem seems easy. no not realy. the mashine is weather tight and the buttons are glued onto the mashine, making the water that has seeked into the mashine not able to dry out. i guess most shops just put new front panel to the detector. but as for a person as me whit limited money i wanted to fix it myself.. 

If you decide to fix it yourself you have to know that this is not meant to be fixed and rather replaced. 

you will have marks and some of the beauty of the mashine may be compremised as i wrote earier, its glued.

1: take out batteries and remove the coil and stem from the brain your working on

2. start carefully to peel of the plastics on the front of the device whit the buttons( i did not use heat, but it might be smart)

there are about 3 layers of plastics. toplayer whit the prints and logo. a layer for the screen and a layer for the buttons.

3: carefull the buttons are made out of small iron membrane whit the size of an ant, if you lose these your done.

4: when peeling of the plastic buttons and screen protector you will find a small circuitboard whit the metal membranes on top, seated whit another layer of thin plastic.

5: dry the metal pieces and circuitboard. 

6: when dry you can reassemble the front of the detector. place the metal mebrane on the ciruitboard where you found them and put on the plastic cover to keep them in place.

7: you might need to use glue as the orginal glue is now comprimized and wont hold the plastics over the buttons and screen.

8: glue and put the plastics on the device in the right order and try it out. Enjoy.

i found it quite easy but time consuming as the membrane for the buttes slide everywhere. so good lighting and a smooth surfice you wont lose the membrane buttens are a must. sorry for my teribble english as its not native for me but i had to put the answer out there.