Damaged 1923s Standing Liberty Quarter

Hey everyone

I dug this 1923s SLQ yesterday. It has a nik on the edge, came out of the ground this way....bummer.

This is the second '23s I've dug in 2 years. This coin is one of the lowest of all mintages for this quarter. 

This first one I dug, I sold it to a friend for $200 to complete his SLQ collection. 

Thanks for stopping in. 

20191010_172853.jpg

img_20191004_153809.jpg

img_20191004_153817.jpg

• Like 8

Nice find; too bad about the nick and other dings on the rim.  Looks to me like a relatively weak strike that didn't see a huge amount of circulation.  I've never paid much attention to this series since it was gone from circulation (with a few exceptions, mostly dateless) before I got into collecting.  The 1916 and 1918/7-S are the keys to the series; knew that.  I see your find is #3 in value (assuming a fixed, intermediate circulated grade such as F-12) even though both the 1927-D and 1927-S are below 1,000,000.  I count 11 of the series with mintages between 1 million and 2 million, your find being one of those.  I'm wondering if a reasonably large fraction of the 1923-S were melted or for some reason few were held in collectors hands until it was too late.  I'm sure the Whitman Series book on the Standing Liberties will answer this, but I don't have that in my library.

Anyway, good find (twice!) and now you get to keep this one.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice finds and if the nick bothers you please send it to me.

I have yet to find any quarters older than 1950 as of yet,  but I am just getting started in this.

• Like 1

If your not finding old coins, check historicaerials.com that has ariel maps going back to 1938 as well as old topo maps. I find majority of my old coins in the woods. Easy detecting as there is usually much less trash and coins tend to be in far better shape. Copper and Copper alloy coins really get trashed with fertilizer and road salts so I usually don't expect anything great in the farm fields and parks unless they are silver.

Do a bit of research and should get you into some good spots.

• Like 2

Still a beautiful coin.:smile:

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, kac said:

If your not finding old coins, check historicaerials.com that has ariel maps going back to 1938 as well as old topo maps. I find majority of my old coins in the woods. Easy detecting as there is usually much less trash and coins tend to be in far better shape. Copper and Copper alloy coins really get trashed with fertilizer and road salts so I usually don't expect anything great in the farm fields and parks unless they are silver.

Do a bit of research and should get you into some good spots.

Yes, historicaerials is my go to site. I also use the USGS topo maps combined with Maprika for accuracy on older sites. The wood sites though, I haven't worked with it... I'm not sure how to research. It seems to me that the trees would be in the way of aerials pics so I wouldn't be able to see structures. Am I correct? 

• Like 1

Out here many of the old trails are still hiking trails and show up on most gps apps. Off of those are the less used hunting trails that when the foliage is up or coming up are thin paths where the dirt has been trampled down. My first detecting is to find shotgun shell ends or brass casings. If I'm finding the lead then I try to find where the hunters had advantage. Often it's just a hillside and lead usually in where there was clearings at one time that you can see by trees of similar smaller trunk sizes.

There is LiDar mapping that shows the terrains but to find the area you want is more work and time consuming than walking through the woods. The data for LiDar is horribly unorganized.  LiDar does show the land without trees, you can even see paths, roads and foundations.

• Like 1