Video About Trip To Chicken Alaska For Recreational Mining

I made a few videos about our trip to Chicken Alaska this year. Here is episode 1: Journey to Chicken: Two swiss hobby gold prospectors travel to Chicken, Alaska to find some gold on Myers Fork. This first episode contains some impressions of the journey and our sweet arrival in Chicken, Alaska. Episode 2 (coming soon) is about us, trying to find some gold on Myers Fork and having a good time in Chicken Gold Camp.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Episode 2 is online: Finding a good spot: Two swiss hobby gold prospectors travel to Chicken, Alaska to find some gold on Myers Fork. In this episode, we try to find a good spot on Myers Fork and finally we find one, but way further upstream, from where we normally prospect.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, alaskaseeker said:

I knew the family that mined there .... They are all gone now have been for years, the owner of the gold camp worked for them.....

OK, interesting. Was this family somehow related to Fred Purdy / Anne Hobbs (Tisha)? I read the book about Tisha and the today owner of the gold camp told me, he knew some of her family members.

In fact there is an old hardrock mine of Fred Purdy in the woods near Myers Fork. I'm very interested in that stuff, I plan to visit this place and hopefully produce a video about it somewhen...

No this family was not related to Purdy, Alice, Bob and Dick Roberts are the chhildren mentioned in Tisha.. Alices parents had a Roadhouse at the mouth of Franklin Cr about 1915...I spent a few days bumming around there in thhe 80's with Bob.. He had a home in Tok.. I hunted around the old site at the mouth of Franklin a little then, there was a family rumor that the Gramma had hidden some gold coins somewhere in the area...I worked at the truck shop in Copper Center for Hiward Bayless,  ..Alices husband.. Mike worked for Howard B and Bob Ditman when they mined ground that They leased from the owners ... Ive forgotten a lot but in Copper Center the Grandson Jerry Cronk has a shop.. He also as a teenager in the 80s worked for Howard and Bob mining in Chicken...

The old lode mine is basically an area that was mined on top of a slope its a red dirt area that was cleaned out its right alongside one of the trails...

• Like 1

Thank you very much for sharing this! If I pass by at Copper Center, I'll ask for Jerry Cronks shop. I like the rumor about the hidden gold coins at the mouth of Franklin! I would love to explore all this hidden creeks, just to see and feel the places, where you guys and your ancestors once lived and prospected. I hope I soon find time to go there.

So you were at the lode mine? Do you know how to get there? I wouldn't bother to hike, I plan to do so next year. Did you ever hear rumors about "california pup", a small sidecreek of Myers Fork? Sorry for asking so much, but I'm fascinated by the this area and the history and rumors. I'm sure, many rumors have a true core...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have to say that was wonderful to watch. The Busby family are great folks and run a fantastic operation at Chicken, Alaska. I have had the good fortune to have spent a lot of time in that area over the years. It is never easy to find gold, but with persistence and hard work some good finds can be made. The little hot spot you found was one of those hard to find places that pay off with nice amounts of gold. Getting over a half ounce in a day screening and shoveling into a sluice box is impressive! It looks like you had a very successful and varied Alaska adventure... I am happy for you. :smile:

The video was very well done, thank you for sharing!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, I have to say that was wonderful to watch. The Busby family are great folks and run a fantastic operation at Chicken, Alaska. I have had the good fortune to have spent a lot of time in that area over the years. It is never easy to find gold, but with persistence and hard work some good finds can be made. The little hot spot you found was one of those hard to find places that pay off with nice amounts of gold. Getting over a half ounce in a day screening and shoveling into a sluice box is impressive! It looks like you had a very successful and varied Alaska adventure... I am happy for you. :smile:

The video was very well done, thank you for sharing!

Wow, what a compliment. Thank you very much, Steve! This means a lot to me, to read such a compliment from a real expert like you! I really appreciate, what you do for us Non-professionals by sharing your huge knowledge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1