calabash digger

Testing The F2 Settings..

Nice video, and I see what you are saying about the sensitivity part of it also.

Once I can get my 800 updated I will have to start learning my unit all over again.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calabash digger said:

These were just basic observations will get into more detailed test next week.

Can't wait.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calabash digger said:

These were just basic observations will get into more detailed test next week.

Good preliminary test, Calabash.  I didn't notice in the video if you had AM turned on.  Reason for mentioning is I didn't hear any iron tone with the dime surrounded by square nails.  I did some testing last week to see what F2 would do using coins, bottle caps and square nails with AM turned on and running through all F2 0-9 settings and saw changes from solid target tones to target tones with iron to all iron tones depending on the targets used.  I tested in Park 1 with Recovery Speed of 3 for no real reason.

I agree, there is definitely a trade off as the F2 settings are adjusted.  Soil condition, target conditions and depth will influence test results and one should expect different setting requirements for different locations, etc.  While I don't think there is a one size fits all F2 setting for all detect modes, targets and conditions I did find the higher F2 settings tended to accent the iron when the non-ferrous target was near rusty bottle caps or rusty square nails while lessening or eliminating the non-ferrous target tones.  Translation: you could miss good targets in iron when running F2 at the high settings.  In my local hunting conditions I found the F2 2 to F2 6 range produced the best results for relic and park type sites.  I'd probably go with a 3 or 4 setting to start and make adjustments as needed at each location.  Your results may / will vary.

I've read the goal of the new F2 firmware was to help in identifying bottle caps so we don't waste time digging them.  It works.  I typically found bottle caps in the 14 to 18 TID range.  Silver ring range. Here's what my testing produced using only a rusty bottle cap by itself:

F2 0 to F2 3, TID=16, good non-ferrous tone, no iron tone

F2 4, TID=16, non-ferrous tone breaking up with hint of iron tone

F2 5, TID -5, almost no non-ferrous tone with strong iron grunt

F2 6, TID -5, even less non-ferrous tone with strong iron grunt

F2 7 to F2 9, TID -5, no non-ferrous tone, strong iron grunt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TedinVT said:

Good preliminary test, Calabash.  I didn't notice in the video if you had AM turned on.  Reason for mentioning is I didn't hear any iron tone with the dime surrounded by square nails.  I did some testing last week to see what F2 would do using coins, bottle caps and square nails with AM turned on and running through all F2 0-9 settings and saw changes from solid target tones to target tones with iron to all iron tones depending on the targets used.  I tested in Park 1 with Recovery Speed of 3 for no real reason.

I agree, there is definitely a trade off as the F2 settings are adjusted.  Soil condition, target conditions and depth will influence test results and one should expect different setting requirements for different locations, etc.  While I don't think there is a one size fits all F2 setting for all detect modes, targets and conditions I did find the higher F2 settings tended to accent the iron when the non-ferrous target was near rusty bottle caps or rusty square nails while lessening or eliminating the non-ferrous target tones.  Translation: you could miss good targets in iron when running F2 at the high settings.  In my local hunting conditions I found the F2 2 to F2 6 range produced the best results for relic and park type sites.  I'd probably go with a 3 or 4 setting to start and make adjustments as needed at each location.  Your results may / will vary.

I've read the goal of the new F2 firmware was to help in identifying bottle caps so we don't waste time digging them.  It works.  I typically found bottle caps in the 14 to 18 TID range.  Silver ring range. Here's what my testing produced using only a rusty bottle cap by itself:

F2 0 to F2 3, TID=16, good non-ferrous tone, no iron tone

F2 4, TID=16, non-ferrous tone breaking up with hint of iron tone

F2 5, TID -5, almost no non-ferrous tone with strong iron grunt

F2 6, TID -5, even less non-ferrous tone with strong iron grunt

F2 7 to F2 9, TID -5, no non-ferrous tone, strong iron grunt

That is pretty much where things are settling out for me, too.  The big test will be central VA nasty soil week long relic hunt planned for Nov.  I will pretty much run it through it's paces there.

• Like 2