Detector Rehab

For people who have impulse control issues, it is really disconcerting that the CAPABLE Simplex+ is priced near the impulse buy threshold.  I have detectors that can do everything as well as the Simplex, but I am intrigued by the simplicity and VCO audio option in AM that I wish my Equinox had.  This could prove interesting in mineralized dirt and may just be the design that finally compels me to get my first full fledged Nokta detector (if it had a higher single frequency selection option, e.g., 24 - 28 khz, it would be a virtual no-brainer).  In fact, I am forced to think up weird rationalizations like if I get the Simplex+ with wireless HP,  that would give me an excuse to pick up the wireless Nokta PulseDive pinpointer because I would then have a compatible Nokta detector to use it with.  I want Simplex and I need help...

• Like 1

I sympathize for sure. When it comes to VLF I have to tell myself I already have all I really need. Yet that does not stop the “want”. It’s childlike I guess but it’s just fun for me to get a new toy to play with. When the price is so low it can be very tempting indeed! :smile:

nokta-makro-simplex-waterproof-wireless-metal-detector-package-contents.jpg

• Like 2

I ordered one but canceled it. It didn’t stop there, however, because I went and ordered it all over again. So,  I  think 🤔 I’m getting one. 

Call me fickle 

I'm a kind of person that is pretty immune to that. I have multiples of some things because I am bad at getting around to selling stuff, not from chasing the shiny new thing. I have one good fly rod, one good big game rifle, one good bow, etc. I have a 20 yo bow the 6 yo bow replaced, but that's just laziness.  Eventually I'll come across some kid needing one and give it away.

With the equinox I dont have any real urge to buy anything else. I probably won't for a long time. All my cars are 15 yo+ too though. I just dont get the same thrill buying things that most people get. Not sure if that makes me lucky or unlucky. Once I have one good tool to pursue whatever hobby I'm pretty much done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacky said:

I'm a kind of person that is pretty immune to that. I have multiples of some things because I am bad at getting around to selling stuff, not from chasing the shiny new thing. I have one good fly rod, one good big game rifle, one good bow, etc. I have a 20 yo bow the 6 yo bow replaced, but that's just laziness.  Eventually I'll come across some kid needing one and give it away.

With the equinox I dont have any real urge to buy anything else. I probably won't for a long time. All my cars are 15 yo+ too though. I just dont get the same thrill buying things that most people get. Not sure if that makes me lucky or unlucky. Once I have one good tool to pursue whatever hobby I'm pretty much done.

Your practical nature and superior will power is laudible, if not entirely humorous.  You don't sound pathologically obsessive enough for this hobby or at least for this thread. Maybe Ridge Runner can help you see the light.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm in this same boat. I really don't need another machine of the type Simplex is, but the price and build, vibration, built in flashlight etc is proving too tempting. I too would like to have the PulseDive and to be able to use it with the headphones. A nice ecosystem is developing and the Simplex is an inexpensive yet effective  and competent foot in. It's like Apple Vs. Android, or Mac vs. Windows vs Linux etc. Ive always thought, why not both or why not all. I admire innovation in all its flavors. I appreciate the technology as much as what it does. Can't get enough of it. It's the same illness that causes me to have Apple TV in one room, Roku in another, Android TV in another, and firestick in yet another. By the way Chase, it looks like those glasses are coming from Apple soon. 

• Like 1