This is a nice concept. If works I can see a lot of interest.

Interesting concept but generally flawed in implementation.  All iterations of this concept primarily rely on bluetooth data transmission and as a result are seriously flawed because of the associated processing delays.  Audio is about the only thing that can be transmitted and perceived by the operator in near real time and even that can suffer from noticeable delays while swinging the coil on target.  The cell phone is great but trying to turn it into an everything machine invariably results in disappointment.  I have used my cell phone to run a telescope, remotely control a camera when not using it as a camera, as a gps, as a home smart device controller, audio sound system, video projector, remote PC desktop, etc.  These things it can do, but generally, it does not do them all well usually because of everything else running on the limited processing power and memory available.  Not to mention the beating your phone would take in the field if it was being used by a serious detectorist and the potential EMI issues.  Best to stick with dedicated devices that are integrated and engineered for the task.  XP has done an amazing thing with their Deus system and attempts to emulate that with a cell phone other than using the phone as an auxiliary device to run companion apps is going to just be second rate IMO because of the complexity of trying to adapt a universal standard to a very specific and time sensitive process.  We'll see how this project turns out, it has been in the works for some time via kick starter, but the engineering challenges are daunting to bring it to fruition and of sufficient performance for what seems like a deceptively straight forward concept.  Besides, these kick starter usually flame out unless they have wide appeal or unless these folks get picked up by an existing manufacturer with the required manufacturing infrastructure. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Cool the kid found the necklace they planted for him. Wonder if it was on the surface?

I have a hard time seeing my screen in the sun so don't think it will work very well in bright conditions. As my luck goes I would get some scam call telling my computer has a Wirus just as I'm over a good find.

Don't think bluetooth will transmit through puddles.

Average cell phone is close to $1k so having a dedicated phone with it you might as well buy a Nox or other machine in that range. Orx is less $$ than most cell phones these days.

Think it's a similar to one that there is a DIY kit I have seen on ebay only larger.

Might be fun for someone starting but XP is far ahead in that game.

Many Deus owners just use the controller to program the coil, then stick the controller in the pocket after that and hunt by tones. That being the case I could see an XP app for a phone that replaced the controller, and used any Bluetooth headphones. For example an app for my iPhone and use my AirPods. The problem would be XP forgoing the sales of the controller and the headphones so not a lot of incentive for them to do that. But it would offer a way for them to easily extend sales into the lower price tier with minimal investment. Think ORX rod and coil run by phone app. The ORX can be had for as low as $649 right now and the controller by itself sells for $329.

Maybe some guru will create an app for the Deus to use on the cellphone.

1 hour ago, rled2005 said:

Maybe some guru will create an app for the Deus to use on the cellphone.

Since XP uses a proprietary communications protocol that is not possible. XP would have to add standard Bluetooth or WiFi to their units for that to happen. Probably more chance of seeing an Air Detector happen than XP doing this but you never know.

The Air Kickstarter fund has 299 backers who have pledged $76,525 to help bring the project to life. Supposedly a product by November 2019. Will it happen or is the money just going in somebodies pocket? I hope it turns out to be legit myself and that it gets some traction.

D59B2A68-EFF5-46DD-ABD7-B2EC3ED3E9B6.jpeg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

There is a message on their facebook from the 5th of October, people will be receiving their detectors towards the end of this month.

This could be a game changer, will be interesting to see what the reviews are like.

Dear Members and Backers,

We have been working hard on getting your detectors in the best shape possible.

Progress report:

1. The first batch of housings is made and waiting for assembly.

2. We are finishing box design (will need your opinion on the final version) and the new web site design.

3. The app is almost ready too.

4. After a long fight with our production partners we managed to get the parameters of the coil to be within prototype margins with regards to coil weight. It took us a while. We know. To get there we had to change the coil filament 6 times since the CE certified components required for use in target markets where heavier than those used by our team in prototyping and preproduction.

5. With the coil finalized the certification process for CE Mark, ROHS and the rest has been started. Should take about two weeks.

So going to the big questions about deliveries - we expect to have first batches ready in about 20 days. More updates to come soon.

Your AIR MD team

• Like 2