Why I Still Like The Nokta Impact

2 hours ago, JCR said:

This comment by Steve is very interesting to me as I have been running the Anfibio Multi for over a year now. Part of my research before purchasing it was to read thru the extensive posts about the development of the Impact on Tom Dankowski's site. They are very similar detectors. The Anfibio Multi has proven to be an excellent all around machine. The only short coming I have found is how the Gen D mode performs. For me, is not really any deeper than the Disc modes. The real disappointment is that the target ID depth is about half of the Disc modes. I have tried pretty hard to find some settings that will make it perform better but it lacks the punch and liveliness that AM should have. It just seems dull. I can't find any use for it other than Gen D is much less affected by EMI. I discussed this with CJC after I purchased his book on the Anfibio and he kind of felt the same way. Maybe I'm missing something that Steve or someone could point out. When I do want to hunt in All Metal on clean ground I use the AT Max with Iron Audio on and it is very capable; deep with very good TID and Iron tone down to modest depth so I'm not really handicapped.

Seems to be a common and undesirable attribute of Nokta detectors, in general.  I have only owned a Simplex and the AM mode just seems weak and underpowered.  A real disappointment as the discriminated search modes are pretty good.  A real head scratcher.

I keep hoping Nokta Makro will address the Gen D performance, especially the TID depth when they put out a firmware update to download.  All their other introductions seem to have been updated pretty quickly with little and big tweaks. I have not seen anything for the Anfibio yet. The TID depth may just be limited in order to incorporate the tone shift for the Threshold, which is actually quite useful. 

• Like 1

Well I am the opposite. All metal modes for me have always been for finding small targets in bad ground. The Gen modes on Impact, Kruzer and Anfibio all excel at this, with much smoother operation in mineralised soils. In my view it's not about depth, but about practicality. What I mean is that in Gen, I will hear a nice repeatable tone change which will pull me up and I will investigate. When checking the same response in say DI2, the signal is often stronger, but when detecting in DI2 over the ground I will get many false signals, so it's just not practical to hunt like that. Investigating every response is too frustrating, and lowering sensitivity to a point where it only beeps on targets........now this is where Gen goes "deeper". Random signals blend into the threshold making genuine target responses easier to identify. 

If you want depth on the Anfibio in clean ground, I'd use 4-tone. 

• Like 1

Gen All metal modes on all the Nokta machines punch thru black magnetic mineralized soils/sands much better. There's where I found the All metal modes more useful.

• Like 2

These observations on the NM All Metal modes being a good choice on higher mineralized ground is good to know. I rarely ever see more than one bar on the Mineral scale. Most of my sites will Ground Balance around 56-62.

Hi phrunt    Nels have a range of 10 coils for each model of VLF detector from the BIG  15x17 inch to a very tiny 5x3 inch.I recently bought the Tornado coil 12x13 inch for the Impact although I wanted a 13.5 x13 inch coil but only coil in stock for the Impact from this European store.There is a 14x10.5 coil which I fancy for nugget detecting in the Golden Triangle. The Tornado goes 20% deeper but at 13 inch wide it is nearly twice as wide as the standard coil which should bring some advantages like much easier to locate targets. It is still very sensitive to nuggets smaller than 1 gram-rated 8.5/10 for locating small targets and can pick them up down to 8 inches deep in low mineralized soil.The Tornado is a good compromise in obtaining more depth but still suited in finding coins and similar sized objects.I was also very impressed by the quality.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

• Like 1

PH  All metal has a hot rock tone distinct from the low pitch ferrous tone.All you have to do to increase discrimination from 00 to 01. Great downhill from gold reefs where the ground is thick with hot rocks.All metal is great for finding very small targets down to 0.1 gram in low mineralised soils.All Metal however does not go deep and is best used for detecting shallow targets.The problem of false signals in very highly mineralised soil should be able to be minimised by increasing the isat setting from 01 to 03 in DI2 although I have not tried this yet.Tin and silver foil masked by setting the notch filter in the range 17 to 19 in DI2,or setting the tone break to 19 to give a ferrous tone in DI2 for foil and digging up the high tones so as to not miss any gold.or gold nuggets.I have found the strongest ID numbers in highly mineralised soil to be in DEEP mode and no intelligible ones in All Metal.DEEP is my favorite mode for hunting nuggets and works well in soils below 80 on the min. meter and the DI modes can easily handle 90 on the meter.I use DI2 in the more difficult soils.Nokta only recommend using DEEP mode in low to mild soil and this has always puzzled me.

• Like 1