Deeper Rich Deposits

3 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

This is one of the more hilarious statements I have ever seen on any gold forum. Just had to say that.

I know where the BIG nuggets have been found and metal detectors seem to get more depth as the bigger the object . 

I know of people who have found here numerous times gold nuggets weighting in 60 to 80 grams and larger.  . 

And i dont know if where you live things are the same way but here where you find large gold you dont find fine gold.  

So this is my reason in saying that what i said.  .

So when you know these large nuggets are lurking around i just want to use a large hook to catch them.. Thats all. !!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, principedeleon said:

Okay.. Thanks Steve .. so lets say i get a GPX with one of the largest coils 

Lets say the 40" coiltek or the 32" detech or a 25" NF DD coil.

Could i build something to scrap away overburden like a scraper bucket with a winch or a hydraulic nozzle .. The overburden is just clay over the pay layer most of the times. 

I have trouble here finding shallow deposits and i like the use of a metal detectorss and there is good gold in the hills. . 

Very many operators do just that. Detect, then scrape away the top layer, then detect again. Very common in Australia and I have seen it done here in Nevada. A bulldozer is usually employed.

Lots of unhelpful responses today, a couple erased so far, sorry about that.

• Like 1

Lots of people dont really understand what im trying to do here.  . 

I have seen them use bulldozers and large equipment . 

But i want to use something i could move far more easier to these remote location like water pumps or motorized winch with a bucket... 

I just wonder if you could see it working for me.  . 

These places have been work by mens with pick and shovel and there is still gold there just too difficult for them as it got deeper.  . 

The most efficient method for removing surface material would be up to you. If you do not know where the gold is at you do not want to remove too much at once. I used a D9 bulldozer and a John Deere 450 to do this at my Moore Creek Mine, and I tried to take off no more than a foot at a time, otherwise gold could be scraped away and lost.

moore-creek-alaska-bulldozed-tailings.jpg

• Like 8

This 11.88 ounce gold/quartz specimen was dug at Moore Creek with a Minelab at good depth with a regular size coil. We also had a 32 ounce gold nugget dug at a measured depth of 25 inches. Both targets were minimal signals at the surface. Like I said, depths exceeding three feet may not be impossible but the nugget would have to be very large, so large as to also be incredibly rare. As a rule of thumb I figure that if the gold is more than two feet deep it's out of detecting range for most practical purposes. 99% of the nuggets I have dug personally have been at a foot or less... but I dig a lot of small nuggets! :smile:

image.jpg

• Like 6

I would never believe in that kind of top soil there would be gold right at the surface basically ... 

There must be lots of gold for hibanking where you find gold with a metal detector specially around a creek.. 

From what i can see in the picture the bank gets deeper and there might be gold that is not reachable by detecting without removing top soil.