Rye Patch Gold Again

mn90403

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

As I understand it that's a fantastic haul from Rye Patch.  Well done! Decent size nuggets too, and to think you traveled all the way to Australia in search of a nugget and you have them a few hours drive away from home 🙂

Simon,

I heard there is some gold in Australia but I didn't manage to find much to bring home.  The metal detector at the airport was as unimpressed as I was with my 'haul!'

Mitchel

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Down in the distance I could see Chet working his 17" X Coil very slowly over and over the area from the day before.  He had been digging some deep holes.  When I made it down to him he said he had found one down about 10" that I didn't get.  He also found another smaller one.  In addition he had dug some really deep holes where some type of metal pieces had sounded off for him.  It was a good day.  I had a nice nugget and he had a couple.

Mitchel, 

Great trip report and good gold for RP. What were your thoughts on Chet's 17" XCoil compared to the GPZ 14"?

Bill

1 hour ago, cobill said:

Mitchel, 

Great trip report and good gold for RP. What were your thoughts on Chet's 17" XCoil compared to the GPZ 14"?

Bill

Chet said he will never take the Xs off and put the 14 or the 19 on again.  He used the 19 quite a lot when it first came out.

I forgot to add as part of our 'test' of that 150x150 ft area when Chet was 'done' with the area using the 17 I put the 19" Minelab coil for 30-40 minutes at the end of the day.  All of the trash was gone except for a couple of spots where some had been buried from camp pits.  That coil even with the Hipstick is a beast.  I was not able to find any targets to dig.

Your question now bring up the fact that I never listened or swung the Xcoil!  When I first saw Chet in Gold Basin he had the 10" coil on and I lifted it but I was surprised at how 'head heavy' it seemed.  Beyond that I have not handled one.  I was told that the bigger coils were about the same weight.

The next time I see Chet I'll want to tease the ground and some sample targets with it so I know more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, afreakofnature said:

What cabins did you stay in?  I stayed in Lovelock last time, not sure if I want to do that again. 😆

The cabins are part of the Humboldt Home Owners Association.  A couple of WSPA members have lots there and make them 'available' for this outing.  They are not commercially available.

Mitchel, you guys did great! Congrats! And yes, we’ve all heard Chet’s stories! (Inside joke for those of us who go on lots of outings with him....just teasing, Chet!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mitchel,  Those are some fine Rye Patch pieces and glad to see you add a few more to your total.  I'll be training customers down there in a couple weeks and hope to scrap up a few myself.

If the weather holds out and there is no rain, we should be able to break a few golden grins.

Are you 100% convinced on the X coils yet, as I have been thinking of pulling the trigger, but would like to know someone who has personally done a side by side test on a few targets.  Yes I realize a small 10" Ellip coil will find smaller gold better than a 14", but what about a 1 to 3 gram size?

Thanks for sharing your info and photos.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:17 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Mitchel,  Those are some fine Rye Patch pieces and glad to see you add a few more to your total.  I'll be training customers down there in a couple weeks and hope to scrap up a few myself.

If the weather holds out and there is no rain, we should be able to break a few golden grins.

Are you 100% convinced on the X coils yet, as I have been thinking of pulling the trigger, but would like to know someone who has personally done a side by side test on a few targets.  Yes I realize a small 10" Ellip coil will find smaller gold better than a 14", but what about a 1 to 3 gram size?

Thanks for sharing your info and photos.

Chat with Chet.  He has a chart.   You may get one because you will be going much more often than I will over the next few months and you already know where the deeper gold is.  My trips will be limited on length of time and frequency so I am holding off for now.

I kinda hoped you would say you don't need one because Minelab will have one soon but maybe it won't beat the Xs anyway.  I'm a user and customer and not a very good technical tester.