Sign in to follow this  
Old Farm Hunter

Homemade Metal Detector Shaft

Has anyone ever made a homemade shaft for a metal detector with PVC pipe ?

I think im gonna try it ill keep you informed on how it goes

PVC may be too flexible for a shaft and too heavy. You could look into carbon fiber. I had thought of making a telescoping shaft for a detector I want to build and looked at the stuff these guys sell : https://dragonplate.com/carbon-fiber-tubes/

There is also kevlar tubing there too that might be bit less money. No idea the costs so doodle out what you need then price it.

Parts to hold the coil itself should be easy enough to get 3d printed on a fdm machine in ABS. Popular company for that stuff is 3d Hubs. They take industry standard .stl files.

If your trying to make an S style grip you can use aluminum tubing and bench top tubing bender to form it. 6061 is usually a good choice for that with a fairly thin wall thickness, guessing 1/32 wall should be plenty.

• Like 1

Ok thanks ill take your advice.

A lot of rods are way overpriced and so making your own is attractive. The best buy in a rod kit I have seen is the White's Space Saver Rod Kit at https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/space-saver-rod-kit They sell the whole assembly for less than some people charge for a lower rod alone. As I post this the price is $49.95. Something to consider as you add up the costs.

whites-space-saver-rod-kit.jpg

• Like 5

I bought a couple of those kits for my(and my sons) Gold Bug 2.  A quick switchover and now fits in a backpack better.

• Like 1

$49 you can't even buy the materials to make one for that!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Joe D.
      Have been looking at this on Ebay and decided to order one today to try out! We will see how it functions!
        I currently don't have a proper shop, or else i would probably make one myself, out of an old nylon cutting board! If it works out, i may make a few for my other detectors! But for now, I'll just purchase!👍

• By TripleT
      My son printed this up for me. Hopefully it will last longer then factory ones.

• By Bohemia Miner
      I don’t really like the smooth handle on my Equinox so I wanted to add something to give it a little more cushion and grip.   I first thought of handle bar tape like they used on ten speed racer bikes back in the day but nobody seems to carry it, except maybe a bike shop. Besides, I thought it might have been too thick.   I settled on cloth Athletic Tape that I found at Walmart. It’s super thin, 1.5” wide, has a sticky back and only cost $2.97. If it gets torn or dirty, I can just change it like a bandage. I figure I can get about 15 applications out of the 30’ roll!

• By flakmagnet
      Since people are chatting up new stems, I would like to recommend a three piece telescoping replacement for the stock Equinox stem. I received it today and love it. It is super lightweight, simple to assemble (I did it so it's simple), it obviously has had a lot of thought put into it. I don't make a habit of putting up ad's for equipment unless I am pretty sure they are first rate and I believe this shaft meets that standard. 
      I took a couple of quick shots of it after I closed it up to it's shortest length. They also included a nice cover for the Eq. control box which I also have shown.
      Take a look at their website and see what you think
      https://www.detecting-innovations.co.uk/TELE-KNOX_Detecting-Innovations_Telescopic_Stem/p6292256_19741720.aspx

• By eagleseye
      Hello everybody,
      can I use the Golden Mask Shaft (converted for the Equinox) in salt water?
      Are there metallic parts that will be corroded / oxidized by being submerged in ocean/sea ?
      Thanks
      Editor's Note - this thread was split from an older existing thread about the Golden Mask aftermarket rod

• By Condor
      I really needed the Equinox on a collapsible shaft so that I can put it in my backpack or stow it on the Rokon for riding cross country.  I already had the Golden Mask shaft that I had modified for the Deus, so I started tinkering.  The original Equinox shaft has a smaller diameter than the Golden Mask, so the shaft mounts will not mate up directly.  I took the dremel tool and relieved the areas around the screw holes just enough to get the Nox handle brain/screen section to snug up to the Mask shaft.  I removed the original Mask handle and fitted the Nox in the same location.  (Mask handle is bolted and glued to the shaft, it takes some work to get them apart.)  I then used longer NOX sized metric bolts (shown below)  snugged them into the NOX handle around the Mask shaft.  Its a very tight fit so the bolts end up a little bent.  I then cut the heads off the bolts to make them more or less studs.  I cut and drilled a hose clamp band, fitted it over the studs, then pulled them down tight over the shaft with a nut and washer combination.  I added a little black paint and the whole thing is really stable.  I'll had a little black Duct tape to the whole mess so that it doesn't hang up on my shirt or pants. 
      It collapses to 24 inches and fully extends to about 50 inches.  The Golden Mask shafts are all carbon fiber so corrosion, weight and shaft wobble are not a problem.  I gave it a test run this morning was quite impressed.  For whatever reason I can not explain, my bump falsing was cut by about half.  That was the first thing I noticed so I went through all the set up functions to make sure I hadn't accidentally changed something like Sens or Recovery.  Nope, all my same settings, but now a noticeable reduction in bump sensitivity.  I don't know how, but I'm liking it a whole lot better now.