Digging Tools

Hi, I'm baffled by choice. There are so many digging trowels on the market that I cannot choose what the best is. I have cut the options down to a handful. My choices are Garrat, Whites digmaster and the evolution extreme blade(with serrated edges). I intend using it to cut neater holes if possible on some of my pasture permissions where a larger dig may be frowned upon. Regards Ed 

Back when I got mine there was no real choice except the original Lesche digging tool. That made decisions like yours lots easier! :smile: Mine works great and apparently will never wear out so that’s it for me. I’m sure some of the ones you are looking at are great options also, but hard to go wrong with the Lesche. Available serrated on left or right sides.

4BFE1B0D-A1BA-4D76-9048-4B0C29445FAA.jpeg

• Like 9

Why is it ludicrous? Sometimes a good tool is worth the investment and a Lesche near as I can tell is a once in a lifetime investment. They certainly are not “unobtainable”... see the link below.

I bought a telescoping rod for my Equinox from the U.K. and there was nothing ludicrous about that. In fact I just had a dozen Cadbury candy bars shipped from the U.K. to Reno. Can’t get them here and I got addicted to them on my last trip. 🙂 Anyway, I have no idea where ed 1 is at, I was just trying to help answer his question from personal use.

Maybe the other options are better for him for the price. That’s up to him.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=lesche+digging+tool&_sacat=0

• Like 1

ED is in the U.K, he probably didn't put the Lesche on his shortlist because of the cost, though there's also the issue of warranty etc, always troublesome when things get international.

By 'unavailable' I meant there are no major dealers selling them, you would have to purchase direct from the US. So there's high postage charges, international payment fees ( eg. PayPal ). Then you may get lucky and it goes through customs easily because it's low value and small. But if it does get the official treatment, add 9% import duties, then 20% V.A.T on top of that. It could easily top 60 GB Pounds ( 75 US dollars).
Whereas the UK made Evolution products would be about 30 Pounds, Garrett's Edge is 37 Pounds.
digging tools

And because no-one uses the Lesche here, we don't really have good data on how strong, reliable, hard-wearing, ergonomic etc it is compared to other offerings. It's clearly an effective tool, as many of the other diggers seem to mimic its design, including the 'Raven' ones listed on the metaldetectingauction link.

Burgon and Ball do a superb digging spade absolutely superb quality and should last many many years,Evolution and another very popular brand of digging tools ie hand trowels,spades and sandscoops,the ones that i have a massive selection of 7-8 custom made spades which i had made Free by the owner of JR stainless steel digging tools alas they closed down about 12 months back but all mine will last me a total lifetime and beyond as they are built that good,the sandscoop and handle are built like tanks and once again should last many years.

But if i was to suggest a couple of digging spades then it would be the Burgon and Ball one which Regtons still sell and the Evolution selection which i am am not sure of who sells them but they are very popular.

Another very popular method is buying a stainless steel border spade from a garden centre and grind it into a decent shape often 'shield shaped' for cutting through turf etc.Of course this option although is possibly the most popular one is only any good if you have a grinder or someone who does own one,the main No1 thing of going down this route is make sure that the top of the spade head as boot gueards on then as other wise they will rip your expensive boots or shoes soles to pieces.

Choice should be made on the type of grounds you dig. I have a digger I made for hand digging in parks/groomed grass and where my Lesche foot digger isn't allowed or areas too confined to use a foot digger.

The diggers made for detectorists are designed for a small niche market. they need to be formed, welded and heat treated (often by hand) and use more expensive alloys or carbon steel to withstand the abuse they will encounter. Prices on them will naturally be higher than your average garden spade but will typically last much much longer.

Check Amazon for costs on USA diggers and see if they are bit better on imports. Might be easier to purchase from that avenue than trying to import one on your own. I'm not an Amazon fan but in some cases they are handy.

FYI my digger wont bout out for a while for mass production. You can't go wrong with Lesche.

Hi, thanks for the replies/advice. Brought an evolution today and just had to go out and try it ! Very wet ground here in Suffolk but couldn,t wait. Less than 20 mins got a strange signal, tried it from several directions and still not what I was expecting(using my nox 800). Dug a small sod and retrieved a 20p coin.Replaced  plug and swept detector back over and got another strange signal. Re dug and got a corroded button. Replaced plug, re swept the nox and this time got a very strong, clear signal. Re dug(smiling by now) and retrieved a nice hammered silver. Just goes to show, always re swing over previously dug holes.  Regards Ed   PS you cannot beat a large bar of Cadbury,s.  

• Like 2

I saw that Stanley digger mentioned on a forum a year or two ago. Knowing that Stanley/Black&Decker stuff is commonly available here, I searched online. Only to find that this digger is not available in the UK - no UK retailer sells it, and Stanley's UK website doesn't mention it either.