Digging Tools

Although my Lesche was a good solid digging tool, I did ultimately wear the blade down to the point of it cracking, so they don't necessarily last a lifetime (depends on how actively you detect).  Since then I have imported a Raptor Model 31c to Australia and it has performed very well over the last few years - digs very neat plugs and has shown very little wear so far (aside from the foam grip).

Although we have to pay gst on imports, I do think it pays to purchase quality products in the first place rather than go cheaper and settle for something second rate (ie. Welded mild steel, non-heat treated etc).   I also have a min shovel and long handled stainless shovel, though still prefer using hand tools for most recoveries.  

Phrunt, I also tried searching for that Stanley tool in Oz and had no luck sourcing it or even a website listing it - almost looks like an NZ exclusive to me.

31C.jpg

• Like 1

I searched the US Stanley site, multitools not listed. Then I searched the New Zealand Stanley site, not listed. Might be discontinued everywhere. 

There are great number of these "Lesche-alike's" out there, everyone from Garrett, Whites, Deteknix/Quest through to Predator, Raven, and names that you've never heard of. The detail is what's important - in this case it's the blade material and any associated heat-treatment/induction-hardening etc.
It would be pretty easy to make a copy cat tool from mild steel, maybe make it thick to make up for the lack of strength, paint it a cool colour and sell it. Far better to make it from something like 4130 cro-moly steel, but the public don't seem very clued up on materials. It's commonly thought that stainless steel is really strong stuff .... no it's not, really. It's better than plain carbon steel, definitely, but still some way below 4130 cro-moly.
It would be too expensive to make these tools out of anything more exotic, I think, like EN24 (4340); and the fancy Aermet and Maraging steels all require careful complicated heat-treatment, liquid nitrogen baths to do the age-hardening, and of course being very hard, they require more effort to bend, punch, cut, grind.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Goldpick said:

Raptor Model 31c

31C.jpg

In the US they are sold (nearly exclusively) by a company named Predator: https://www.predatortools.com/.  The box mine came in was autographed by George Lesche.  His daughter runs the company, I think.  Pretty sure he sold the rights to the now universally named 'Lesche' digger to someone else, but could be wrong on that, too.

I have a 28" ground shark. Couple buddies have the 36" and use them as walking sticks but I found my larger coils sound off on it so the shorter one I can toss on my shoulder works better for me. It's a really nice digger and does far better than wider blades (less likely to hit rocks). I wish the foot peg was on the inside as it sometimes get's in the way digging deep. If you use it to pop out a good size plug in fields it's perfect. Like all foot diggers I wouldn't recommend using it on groomed grass like parks unless you plan on getting thrown out.

I found these on Kellyco a while back! They appear to be well made with a Rockwell hardness of 50!  I have bent a Garrett hand digger, and broken the handle of another generic one!💪   I tend to be hard on my digging tools! These also come in yellow, and black! And multiple lengths! Only place i've seen them is on Kellyco! I may give this hand digger a try!

20191024_010313.thumb.jpg.58f37d8a36569bd66a5363ea2d4369d9.jpg

20191024_010247.jpg