Digging Tools

Hand recovery tools?  I have a few and have tried a lot through the years.  One that I have ready for 'quick-hits' is the Lesche Digger.  I like mine and it has worked well for a long, long time.  Longer than the one I had that wore out quickly and bent, and longer than a couple my friend Chris had years ago that broke.  Two of them snapped in half.  Our experiences, and that of another fellow we heard from, happened sometime between '98 and '04, but the one I use now has lasted for over 15 years so I guess manufacturing changed and I have a good one.

When I say "quick-hits' it is one I keep with a knee pad I need to use.  When I put on the knee pad I run the top strap through the digger's sheath so I have the Lesche strapped to the outside of my left knee and lower leg.  However, even though the Lesche Digger has held up well, the sheath is getting pretty ragged.

On my gear belt I currently have a White's DigMaster as my regular-use digger, and it is holding up well and works fine, but ....  Even though it is sturdy and works well, the handle is kind of oversized for my hand.  I have shorter fingers and with arthritis, age and loss of strength and mobility it has a fatty feel and isn't as comfortable feeling as the Lesche.  Otherwise I like it and it works, that's the main thing.

I've tried some other diggers and still have one or two in my 'extra' tote that are new and I offer them to folks on an Outing if they don't have a good tool.  I've tried the Hori Hori digger and other different-looking tools but just didn't care for them.  I did buy a new tool this week, which also marked the first time I have ever purchased anything on ebay!  It's due to arrive tomorrow and is the Stanley FATMAX BDS7236 gardening digging knife.  I liked the look of the handgrip, and have used a similarly-tipped tool before that handled plug-cutting in grassy areas just fine.  Besides, the price, delivered, was only $14.95 and I figured it was reasonably affordable to check out.  It will likely be my new 'quick-hit' recovery tool.

Now, all I need is a smaller bladed shovel with a 'D' handle that is very light-weights and can take the place of my cane.  So light weight but sturdy and being the proper length is important.

Monte

I am surprised that you managed to bend it, I have the short handled version and it has lasted several years so far - and also used in some pretty hard packed ground.  Though your version being longer and having more leverage might put more stress on that section that connects the handle to the blade.

Maybe you should try some quality Aussie products:  https://tygerstainlesssteel.com.au/

Wow, Lesche are usually really beefy. I have the ground shark which is welded at the foot peg and on the shaft so probably less likely to bend. The ground shark has a very hard blade that is narrow.

Almost looks like the handles shaft wasn't heat treated.

• Like 1

Nice tool finds again Goldpick👌👍

On 11/25/2019 at 3:37 AM, phrunt said:

IMG_20191125_095906.thumb.jpg.11d78f567e33f3af827dfad57e242644.jpg

Lesche Sampson T-handle by WW manufacturing, made in the US of A, under a month old, bent badly in soft loamy soils.... big fail, ,piece of junk.

http://www.wwmfg.com/default.asp?contentID=1227

Not the real deal, just a knockoff. The real thing is made by Predator Tools. www.predatortools.com  

7 hours ago, Smithobx said:

Not the real deal, just a knockoff. The real thing is made by Predator Tools. www.predatortools.com

I think it's more complicated than this.  George Lesche is now with Predator (family business?) but it appears his earlier products are made by the other company.  Whether he sold the rights to the originals, got forced out,...?

Bottom line, though, is that thanks to this thread (and those on the linked site), many of us are now better informed going forward.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

yes, their design looks slightly better

04222005_025_2048x2048.jpg?v=1438178201

They make the bent little pipe that holds the shovel to the handle shorter, less chance of bending that way.  It also means their weld is more effective at holding it straight.

Either way, my one will be just as strong as that if not stronger now with it's mod, I sent it to hell and back testing it yesterday and it's still going strong, I basically tried to break it 🙂

I emailed them to show them what happened on a shovel only a couple of weeks old, they have yet to reply.

Your mod does look rock solid, should last. I have the Predator Tools model and it’s still going strong after 12+ years of use. Mr. Lesche is the owner of the company and still manufactures his original and iconic hand digger in addition to a variety quality shovels. He did start the company you bought from many years ago but has not been associated with them for years. I have a couple of his products and they are all very well made. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Simon

Why do you need a spam box?  haha

Treat your email inbox like a nugget patch.  You have to read EVERYTHING.  You'll know it is trash as soon as you see it and you'll never wonder if you passed up on a nugget.

Thanks for the follow up.  Will the replacement be the same design?

Mitchel

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

One of the discoveries generated from this thread is that George Lesche's designs were bought by another company (or maybe they bought him out) and they still use his name to sell the tools.  However, there are some differences from the original.  In the meantime George Lesche got involved with a different company (possibly his or his family's) called Predator tools.  Here's a video of their small ('hand') diggers:

Note that this new(er) company makes the same or very similar tools.  (Note also that they've lowered their prices on some of their tools since this video was made.)  In particular, note the rivets in the sheaths at their most vulnerable spot.  That's something the spinoff/buyout company skimped on, and it matters, as shown below.

Lesche_sheeth_2.thumb.JPG.3d88e57e94ac283044d7a8b0c84462fc.JPG

Also shown is a (spinoff) Lesche tool in a different brand's leather sheath, complete with multiple rivets!  You can buy just the sheath from Serious Detecting or you can get the sheath and Treasure Wise tool, if you prefer that style of digger.  In my case I already have three of the spinoff Lesche diggers so not interested in buying a 4th right now.  If I knew then what I know now I'd just buy from Predator Tools (from the real George Lesche) and get a genuine Lesche hand tool with the higher quality nylon sheath (with rivets).  But the Treasure Wise sheath is quite affordable and of high quality construction which hopefully will last a lifetime.

• 1 month later...

That is awesome service, and I know sometimes we get forgotten about down in this part of the world.  Heck even some local companies aren't that good.  Any good service deserves to be mentioned.

• Like 1