Sunray Pro Gold Compatibility With The Equinox

GB_Amateur

I've read some things here that confused me, and I checked them out today, finding the source of the confusion.  Sunray makes two sets of Pro Gold headphones:  the 'Originals' and the 'CTX version'.  I have the former.  I've read that you need the CTX version if you want to use them with the Equinox.  (As always, maybe I didn't read the fine print.)

When I plug my 'Originals' (via a 1/4" female to 3.5 mm male adapter) into the back side of the control module it's as if they aren't connected at all.  Nothing comes through the headphones and the Equinox speaker emits its normal sounds.  Presumably this is what has been reported here.

However, using the WM-08 wireless module (connected to the headphones with the same adapter) the speaker is bypassed and the sound in the headphones is loud and clear.  In fact it is noticeably louder than with the Garrett MS-2 headphones.  Although I didn't check my White's ProStars, in the past they performed similarly to the MS-2's.  The sound quality doesn't seem quite as clean but the Pro Golds certainly have enough sound quality to work well in the field.  I wonder if the volume difference has to do with impedence matching.

Anyway, bottom line is don't throw out your Original Pro Golds if you have converted to an Equinox user.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 9:33 AM, midalake said:

My older version Pro Golds, will not work correctly on the NOX with the WM08.  Also anyone reading, do not expect good results if you keep the WM08 on the back of a hat. That module needs to be line of sight.

Dave 

No, they won’t nor will many other detector headphones. That’s why I recommend the CTX version of the Pro Gold... it’s why they make them, to work on Minelab detectors where the older version did not. Thanks for the note I guess maybe I was not clear on that.  (This response from Steve H.)

Thanks, Chase.  Maybe the thread you linked is the reason for my confusion.  As I read it now it's still not clear what people were saying.  What does it mean "will not work correctly"?  Also, what is "older version Pro Golds"?  I bought mine sometime in 2016.  Ironically originally I ordered the CTX version (when I didn't have a CTX) and realized I made a mistake, contacting the seller who modified my order.  Maybe I hadn't make a mistake afterall.  Anyway, connecting my set directly to to the Eqx is the first time I've noticed their incompatibility with any detector, and using the WM-08 solves *that* problem.

I agree that if you're going to buy a set of Pro Golds now you should get the CTX version.  But I have plenty enough headphones that I'm more concerned about making the ones I already have work.  What I'm 100% in agreement with is that under the right conditions the Pro Golds are great headphones.

It’s not a new or old versions issue and the CTX thing just confuses people. They should just sell that version only since it works with everything and discontinue the other.

The CTX,  Equinox, SDC 2300, and GPZ 7000 all have the same issue and the CTX phones work properly with all those models while the basic version does not. I won’t be surprised if we go through all this again with Vanquish.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

No, they won’t nor will many other detector headphones. That’s why I recommend the CTX version of the Pro Gold... it’s why they make them, to work on Minelab detectors where the older version did not. Thanks for the note I guess maybe I was not clear on that.  (This response from Steve H.)

Thanks, Chase.  Maybe the thread you linked is the reason for my confusion.  As I read it now it's still not clear what people were saying.  What does it mean "will not work correctly"?  Also, what is "older version Pro Golds"?  I bought mine sometime in 2016.  Ironically originally I ordered the CTX version (when I didn't have a CTX) and realized I made a mistake, contacting the seller who modified my order.  Maybe I hadn't make a mistake afterall.  Anyway, connecting my set directly to to the Eqx is the first time I've noticed their incompatibility with any detector, and using the WM-08 solves *that* problem.

I agree that if you're going to buy a set of Pro Golds now you should get the CTX version.  But I have plenty enough headphones that I'm more concerned about making the ones I already have work.  What I'm 100% in agreement with is that under the right conditions the Pro Golds are great headphones.

Let me try to clear it up a bit, and add on to what Steve H. said.

If you have the "regular" version of Pro Golds, they will not work if you plug them into the CONTROL BOX on the Equinox.  They WILL work properly, if you plug them into the WM-08. 

If you have the "CTX" version of the Pro Golds, they will work on the Equinox when plugged in EITHER way -- control box, OR WM-08.  

Steve H. is right; I don't know why the Pro Golds aren't sold in JUST the "CTX" version, as that version is, I believe, compatible with ALL machines, whereas the "regular" version won't work when plugged into the control box of the various machines Steve H. mentioned...

Finally, you CAN -- if you have the "regular" version of Pro Golds and desire to connect them direct to the Equinox control box -- send them in to have them "converted" by John Smith, for $20, as noted in the thread that Chase linked (thanks, Chase!)

Steve

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

They should just sell that version only since it works with everything and discontinue the other.

They may have discontinued the Classics.  Take a look at their webpage:

https://www.sunraydetector.com/

They only have six products:  three coils "for the Minelab Explorer S, XS, II, SE, SE Pro, E-Trac, Safari & Quattro", a rain jacket, and the two versions of the Pro Golds.  Their icon for Fisher shows the M-Scope logo.

When I bought my Pro Golds three years ago, the warranty address (on a small slip of paper inside the packaging) was in Alabama.

Their website gives the impression not a lot is going on there, nor has in quite some time.  Maybe the Classics still for sale are just old inventory.

Ever since the ML Gold Monster 1000 came out I've been complaining about detectors not having a 1/4" jack.  Most of those complaints are met with (note:  I'm taking poetic license) "you're a dinosaur.  The world is using 3.5 mm or even wireless.  1/4 in. is so 20th Century".  Well they got that right, I am.  😁

Surprisingly(?) of all the aftermarket headphone makers more/less exclusively for metal detectors, the only one I've noticed that makes a model with 3.5 mm plug is Gray Ghost (Detector Pro).  We talk about detector giants (relative term) going out of business.  Well, maybe it's happening with some of the accessory companies, too.  They're a lot smaller and possibly less likely to be able to sustain the changes of a semi-fluid market.  IMO the 'modern' headphones aren't nearly as comfortable nor as good at sound blocking, but that's a dinosaur talking.

16 hours ago, phrunt said:

Can't you just snip the end off and wire them in the way suitable for Minelab?   If there is one thing in the world that's easy for a beginner to solder it's a headphone adapter plug.

117308004_headphoneplug.jpg.a52d5f56349ecca255b68c7e6400ff3d.jpg

They even have little holes to wrap the wire into before soldering, couldn't get easier.

What about replacing the 1/4 in. plug with a 3.5 mm?  And is there mesh (i.e. coaxial) shielding on the cables?

I believe it has to do with the jumper wire.   Same with the Xcal and CTX wired phones.   You get a lower volume if you only use two wires like on the Xcal so when we add our CTX connector to other phones we jump two pins so they can be properly used on both machines

On 10/15/2019 at 4:54 PM, GB_Amateur said:

However, using the WM-08 wireless module (connected to the headphones with the same adapter) the speaker is bypassed and the sound in the headphones is loud and clear.  In fact it is noticeably louder than with the Garrett MS-2 headphones.  Although I didn't check my White's ProStars, in the past they performed similarly to the MS-2's.  The sound quality doesn't seem quite as clean but the Pro Golds certainly have enough sound quality to work well in the field.  I wonder if the volume difference has to do with impedence matching.

Anyway, bottom line is don't throw out your Original Pro Golds if you have converted to an Equinox user.

It was I who did some of the original reporting on the Sunrays and Black Widows. 

They do "kind of" work in the WM08. However if you use them long enough you will here little pops and clicks. Something is still NOT aligned right. Best still to get them modified, or a cable that will allow use of any headphones, or headphone specific [made for the Nox]

Dave 

• Like 2

Summertime I hunt with (inexpensive) ear buds.  I've just switched back to full over-ear headphones.  Friday I decided to go with the Sunray Pro Golds (through WM-08 with the Equinox) and I was hearing sounds I haven't heard for a while, maybe ever.  And I mean good sounds.

Pro Golds are the best headphones I own (and I own half a dozen over-ear sets) at blocking out the background noise.  It's really noticeable.  When you're out in the quiet country (with not much wind) a lot of headphones work fine but when you're in a noisy municapal area it really helps to have the best.  There may be others as good or even better than the Pro Golds for blocking out noise, but I haven't found them.

There is a potential downside to this and that's the discomfort from tight fitting headphones.  I did OK in 3 hours on Friday but in the past I've had trouble on longer hunts.  Part of the trick is to get the headphones positioned exactly right where they aren't trapping any part of the ear, are properly centered, headband in a comfortable position, eyeglass arms not trapped in the wrong place, etc.  Of course setting the sound volume is important, too, but there are multiple ways to do that, at least with some detectors, and the Pro Golds have individual ear attenuation adjustment pots.

• Like 1