Sunray Pro Gold Compatibility With The Equinox

GB_Amateur

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

There is a potential downside to this and that's the discomfort from tight fitting headphones.  I did OK in 3 hours on Friday but in the past I've had trouble on longer hunts.  Part of the trick is to get the headphones positioned exactly right where they aren't trapping any part of the ear, are properly centered, headband in a comfortable position, eyeglass arms not trapped in the wrong place, etc.  Of course setting the sound volume is important, too, but there are multiple ways to do that, at least with some detectors, and the Pro Golds have individual ear attenuation adjustment pots.

Yes if you have big ears, some of the headphone pads do not have enough room/ OR If they get older and lose some of their cushy-ness they could make contact with your ears.  Have in the past, cut plastic shims to slide between the pad and hard phone part to get more separation for the ear.  Your mileage may very on this. 

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have a pair of SunRay Pros gold version and for some reason when I plug them into my Whites MXT I can only hear sound from the left side. I have owned SunRay pro headphones before for many years and I have never had issues with them when I used them on my  vlf or my Minelab 4500. For some reason these do not work, do I have the right version or are they defective. 

19 minutes ago, HotSauce said:

I have a pair of SunRay Pros gold version and for some reason when I plug them into my Whites MXT I can only hear sound from the left side. I have owned SunRay pro headphones before for many years and I have never had issues with them when I used them on my  vlf or my Minelab 4500. For some reason these do not work, do I have the right version or are they defective. 

What are you trying to use them on now?  Do you have anything else to plug them into to test. 

Also,  SunRay is still in business with new owners, and they can service your set of headphones. 

1 hour ago, midalake said:

What are you trying to use them on now?  Do you have anything else to plug them into to test. 

Also,  SunRay is still in business with new owners, and they can service your set of headphones. 

I am trying to use them on my Whites MXT and Minelab 4500, when I plug them in either detector only the left side of the headphones work. As I understand it, the original Sunrays with the yellow knobs worked fine on all my detectors but after many years they went bad. So I got another pair form a forum member, brand new ones Sun ray Pro gold series version  with the red knobs on the dials. After research I found that they made the red knob ones for Minslab CTX 3030 but they said that they are compatible to all detectors. So I am going to call Sunrays pro and ask them what the deal is. 

• Like 1

Just a shoutout for SunRay Pro headphones service and warranty. I have used Sunray pro headphones for many years, the sound quality is exceptional and they are built well. After many years of service in very tough terrain they finally went south. I should have kept them as they have a great warranty and could have been repaired by the company. Regardless I bought a new pair from a forum member who had an extra pair. After receiving them I plugged the 1/4 inch headphone jack into my Whites MXT and noticed my right side of the earphones did not work. I moved the 3 position switch up, down and center, adjusted my volume knobs and made sure the jack was in all the way, nothing. I called SunRay and spoke with Doug for a half an hour. He listened to my issue with the headphones and said if I cannot get them going, send them in and they will look into fixing them for me !!:hello2:Dough is also a detectorist and has been for a long time, he bought SunRay pro in 2018 and also sells detectors and accessories. I just wanted to share my experience because its hard to find companies like this today, what else can we ask for American made product and service. This is why I stick to Sunray Pro headphones, the quality and service is top notch. :headbang:

• Like 3

Just now, midalake said:

Yes they are great. I sent in a set of old phones and they converted them to new "universals" at a fraction of the cost of a new pair. 

That's great news, their warranty is second to none, I mean what company will refurbish and update a customers headphones after many, many years of service. I should have kept mine old pair, I  will do it with this set for sure. 

2 hours ago, midalake said:

Yes they are great. I sent in a set of old phones and they converted them to new "universals" at a fraction of the cost of a new pair. 

They really should just make the universals, because people who buy the ones that don't work on some models get left with a bad taste in their mouth, and maybe switch brands. Any TRUE metal detector headphone should work with all detectors. Minelab accounts for a huge chunk of the market, and putting out phones that will not work with their models simply makes no sense.

I admit I've largely gone wireless, but when I used wired phones, it will always be my SunRay "CTX version" that I grab. I've got my old worn set, and a brand new pair set aside, "just in case." :smile:

• Like 5

Steve....., why do you like the CTX version of Sunray Pro Gold  ...more than other versions?

What do you think is better? 👍:wink:

On 10/20/2019 at 9:57 AM, GB_Amateur said:

There is a potential downside to this and that's the discomfort from tight fitting headphones.  I did OK in 3 hours on Friday but in the past I've had trouble on longer hunts.  Part of the trick is to get the headphones positioned exactly right where they aren't trapping any part of the ear, are properly centered, headband in a comfortable position, eyeglass arms not trapped in the wrong place, etc.  Of course setting the sound volume is important, too, but there are multiple ways to do that, at least with some detectors, and the Pro Golds have individual ear attenuation adjustment pots.

I agree 100% on the quality of Pro Golds. I also had to use the same method you speak of- get the ears inside of the cuff with no pressure on the ears, and centered. It can be a bit more challenging in extreme cold or hot weather- cold weather tends to stiffen up the cuff, hot weather brings sweat. I went through all the other headphones, including some that were more expensive than Pro Golds, but nothing compared to the sound quality. Whether a person plugs them in to the box, or through the WM08, you can’t go wrong with PG phones. 

• Like 1