Using A Garrett Pro-Pointer AT ( Carrot ) Without A 9v Battery

mh9162013

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I use NiMH 9V batteries in my Carrot with no issues and have been quite satisfied with them. One in pinpointer and one ready for backup in my pouch, rotate as needed. I used them in my old Gold Bug 2 and Gold Bug Pro also. Same set still working fine since 2015.

post-1-0-31327800-1428331697_thumb.jpg

You can use whatever battery you choose and if you're happy about it, more power to you! (yeah, I made a punny)

I was just pointing out the flaw in saying 9V alkalines are "good" batteries because they're better than 9V NiMH batteries.

• Like 1

Well I've just purchased a couple of EBL Lithium 9V batteries from one of the big sellers on eBay UK. The price is reasonable, at 5 GB Pounds each, many of the NiMH ones are 7-12 Pounds, even the ones I could get from trade suppliers like Farnell Electronics were expensive.

I also had a rummage around in my electronics stuff, and remembered I had 5 small foil-pouch Li-polymer cells, brand new. When I found them I tried them in the Propointer battery compartment, and found they actuall fit, at a jaunty angle... . So that's a little project, making a custom lithium PP3, I will post pics when it's done. mh9 probably won't like it, hehe, but the economics make  sense, these cells were 1 Pound for all 5, I recall. Capacity is 300mAh, perfectly decent.

5 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

...So that's a little project, making a custom lithium PP3, I will post pics when it's done. mh9 probably won't like it, hehe, but the economics make  sense, these cells were 1 Pound for all 5, I recall. Capacity is 300mAh, perfectly decent.

That's actually my initial prototype (if you see my post from a few months ago). I don't like using lithiums as much as LSD NiMHs, but they're certainly better than 9V batteries.