Need Some Tips On Detecting For Gold In Stream Crevices?

Thanks hatter, got a photo of one of your sabre saw tools with handle? are you in New Zealand?

Sure hope Scott gets me a photo/desciptions of his crevice tools ASAP? I may be leaving this Sunday for my trip.

• Like 1

Our old buddy from AMDS, Lanny in AB, has an excellent thread on Crevicing for bedrock gold, tools, tips, etc dating back to 2008 and over 139 pages long, yipes...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Wonder whatever happened to Lanny, hope he is still around? He had some amazing and well written stories..

-Tom

Tom... good luck with your trip to Maine. In the past, you've mentioned your previous experiences there to me, including a possible tourmaline crystal left in-situ. I hope you can rediscover its location, but otherwise hopefully you can bring home some gold. The important thing is to enjoy the trip and the wilderness environs regardless of any finds.

I've been frequently in touch with Lanny over the past few months. He's still successfully chasing and finding sassy gold, and of course seems to be in the best of spirits. Lanny is a fine individual, a very able and talented writer, and a highly skilled gold prospector. All the best Tom... please let us know how you fare over there in Maine. 

Jim.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim, will do and will take my GB 2 I got from Steve this past winter.

I am staying away from Mount Washington in New Hampshire for sure. Have heard they have winds so bad up there that fully loaded trains get blown off the RR tracks. And the mountain is only 6000 feet high, just a hill by western US standards.

Does anybody know how the winds can be so strong on this hill?

I will keep my eye open for tourmalines and aquamarines while gold hunting.

Maybe you can ask Lanny to post over here Jim? Be glad to read more of his stories. Is his AB location in Australia or is that Alberta, Canada?

-Tom

• Like 1

Just some of my basic crevice and sniping tools. Sniping scope is a must. I also use a Falcon md20 detector probe. Scan the crevices with it after the overburden is removed. I sometimes use a ping pong paddle to fan away the lighter gravels. I also love my snappy grip crevice tool.

post-400-0-58014600-1436391304_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Scott,

Guess I better take my MD 20 as well as GB 2 with 6 inch coil? I do have a scope like yours.Is it easier to hold underwater with the handle? How did you attach the handle exactly? I do have some of those tools in the photo.

How would I bust open bedrock that gives a detector signal but has no visible cracks? I have a geologist hammer and 2 pound hand sledge hammer and larger chisels with a collar on to protect my hands. Wonder if I should buy some small chisels at Menards?

It does make it somewhat easier with the handle. Even wearing a diving mask works. Keeping your hands free to move material. The hand is just screwed on with a washer. If you can get some long handled pry bars. They also make a pvc handle for the falcon.Best of luck!

• Like 1

Tom... that's Alberta, Canada. This time of year Lanny is busy with work and prospecting, so forum posting is not always possible for extended time-frames. When I next speak to him I will mention your suggestion. Think safety first if you're exploring the wilds alone Tom... that two pound sledge and some chisels is exactly what I keep in my knapsack for opening seams in hardrock, I should imagine such would do fine for your streamwork crevices. Good luck and be safe.  :)

Jim.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I would post a pic of the spot I have in mind but better wait till after vacation, don't want some local to see it and get the jump on me possibly, after all these forums are not private. I will go to Menards tomorrow and get some smaller cold chisels to help with crack/seam busting and an extra pair of safety glasses and leather gloves.

Ps, I still have a prospecting accident reminder in my one finger from 40 years ago from a gold trip in Arizona. I was using my geologist hammer and chipping an arrow on a large boulder at a fork in a no name desert wash to mark where the copper prospect was where I had got some green copper mineral specimens. Next thing ya know, a geyser of red blood a foot long shoots out from my right hand. A flying rock chip had nailed my right index finger just below the nail by the 1st knuckle.Took me 1/2 hour of pressure to stop the bleeding. still have a black spot 1/4 inch diameter right there where the rock broke apart under my skin. The doctor said it was all fragments and he couldn't get it out. Wonder why it bled like a fire hose instead of just oozing out?

-T

• Like 1