Found More Square Cut Nails-part 2

I went out yesterday with my Equinox 800 to a previously located site and found a few more square cut nails and a few other interesting items.  Well, actually 84 more square cut nails. Using Field 1, changed to 5 tones, recovery speed 4, F2 at 2.  Makes you wonder why/how that many square cut nails ended up in such a concentrated area.  Quite a few of them were found just using my pinpointer. It's always fun getting out in the woods and doing some relic hunting instead of the usual coinshooting in local parks.  

fullsizeoutput_18db.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, Walter S. Fowler said:

I went out yesterday with my Equinox 800.... Using Field 1, changed to 5 tones, recovery speed 4, F2 at 2.  Makes you wonder why/how that many square cut nails ended up in such a concentrated area.

What were the TID's you were seeing with the nails?

It looks like some of them don't have heads.  Do you think they were cut off, or actually made that way?  Also the fraction that appear straight seems pretty high.  Was there any sign of a fire?  If not maybe a nail spill (ala 'coin spill') is responsible for a bunch of these.

There's gotta be more good stuff at that site.  Don't give up on it!

I hate square nails, especially when I dig them at the two foot level. Just a word of caution, it is not ok to keep them if they are found on Federal Land.

Norm

• Like 2
On 10/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, GB_Amateur said:

What were the TID's you were seeing with the nails?

It looks like some of them don't have heads.  Do you think they were cut off, or actually made that way?  Also the fraction that appear straight seems pretty high.  Was there any sign of a fire?  If not maybe a nail spill (ala 'coin spill') is responsible for a bunch of these.

There's gotta be more good stuff at that site.  Don't give up on it!

The TID's were in the same range as a copper penny around 23-27 , but some jumped all over the place.  Yes, there was sign of a fire and also bits of pottery and glass and large pieces of iron of various shapes.  Does seem strange that so many are not bent and perfectly shaped.. Might have been that a building burned down at this site.?  I'm still trying to do research .   The ground is very mineralized at this site also. I haven't found any coins there as yet, but still hopeful.  I think the ones without heads were just broken for some reason.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Kaolin washer
      going over the same ground the Deus hit hard, and the Tarsacci is finding alot of things i missed today found a nice thimble

• By mn90403
      Here are some different relics to find!

https://www.livescience.com/sword-poland-battle-of-grunwald.html?utm_source=notification 
    • By F350Platinum
      Another lovely day here, winds at 30 with gusts to 45. It was sunny and fairly warm so I got a quick hunt in on the hill behind my house, I am now calling it Mason Jar Hill because I have found about 50 mason jar lids there, I think it was a dump. It was bush hogged recently giving me an opportunity to search it more. I don't keep any of the lids, they are all rusty and corroded. I doubt anyone would care.
      I was only there about an hour before I got tired of the wind and the deer flies. Usually deer flies are suppressed by the wind but lucky me, not today! There were some spots on the hill that were out of the wind.
      Finds:
      Nice green 3oz jar, I think I damaged it digging for whatever else I was after. Heavy glass. Mangled token marked "Good for 50¢ in merchandise", sadly the vendor could not be read on the back. Old zipper pull, 1919 wheat, and a piece of decorative metal.
      Here is what the jar is, I found it.
      Got a lot more to do here, it's only about a half acre but it's all hill. Trash was mostly handgun bullet shells and the ever present Mason jar lids. The lids ID from 21-32, so I have to dig them all. 😵
    • By F350Platinum
      Nothing special today but still productive. I'm thinking the steamboat unloaded passengers on one side (the high pilings), and cargo on the other (ramp).
      Hacked around the "passenger" side but didn't go too far out. The sand got kinda loose, and once gave way. There was a 26 ID object in the pilings, dug out out with my pinpointer and trusty composite shovel, when I got it out it ID'd a 31, it's on the left in the trash photo:
      It's just some sort of aggregate rock, haven't done anything with it yet. The license plate was a 36, again I thought I'd hit the jackpot. 😵 Even the Comet can lid was a solid 22 😀
      The finds:
      Odd brass object, some kinda strainer or lamp thing? Here's the back:
      1892 IHP, it was totally encrusted, but carefully peeling away the black brought forth what was left. Unidentifiable wheat penny, no date. Came out as is. IHP was a 19/20, wheat was a 21/22.
      There is a small area all these coins are all coming from, I'll keep hitting it. I think it may be where people were swimming. Might rake or dig it down a bit to see if there are any silvers there. 

• By F350Platinum
      Finally got a chance to hit the steamboat landing on the water today. A coincidental lower tide and great weather made an opportunity for me.
      It's a beautiful place, but fraught with risks from the poison ivy ground cover to the soft sand/muck in the river. There are places here that look solid but you sink immediately should you step there.
      Really didn't find much but didn't expect to. What I was more interested in was getting used to the gear and the conditions, I was wearing waders and using my scoop as a "stabilizer" as well. There are pilings, underwater holes, even saw an engine block out in the river. I only went a little above knee deep today. The water is clear but silts ahead of you as you walk. Water parallax makes it a bit difficult to locate where to scoop, but lifting the coil straight up after pinpointing helps.
      Found some pretty cool stuff, the steamboat mooring line cleat and the old blue medicine bottle were my favorite trash, the cleat was a 36. Thought I'd hit the jackpot. 😀
      I worked my way over to the area I found some completely corroded Indian Heads just before I quit, I was only there about two hours. Got a 9/10, and scooped this very corroded "V" nickel, sadly not enough detail to provide a date. Identified it by size and the bust that was barely visible.Going back soon! They're planting the fields so woods and river are my only local diversions.
    • By Chase Goldman
      Me and a hunting buddy happened upon a CW firing range. We thought, great, we'll dig a few minies and move on. But when we swung it was immediate target after target. A rare unexploited hot spot. Limited only by how fast we could recover the targets. Another buddy made it over to the area coming from a different field and joined in with the Deus. But this was hot Culpeper dirt so I had the advantage with my GPX 4800 PI detector.
      My other buddy fanned out to look for the likely firing line holding drops and buttons, but no joy. Likely cleaned out by others who were there beforeMe and a hunting buddy happened upon a CW firing range.
      Anyway, it kind of became an obsession and challenge for me. I would either be continuously recovering a target or checking/confirming one of my buddy's Deus targets.
      Would the minies dry up or would I drop from exhaustion? The minies won. 81 minies, one button, and 7 hours later, I called it a day with plenty of targets still heard as I walked out of the 20 yard by 20 yard patch. If you did the math, that is one minie recovered on average every 5 minutes.
      So now I have that out of my system, can take the memory of the day I dug minies at will, and will probably never have a day like that again, which is probably a good thing. 
      P.S. The minies with the star marking in the cavity mean they were manufactured at the Washington Arsenal.