Found More Square Cut Nails-part 2

I went out yesterday with my Equinox 800 to a previously located site and found a few more square cut nails and a few other interesting items.  Well, actually 84 more square cut nails. Using Field 1, changed to 5 tones, recovery speed 4, F2 at 2.  Makes you wonder why/how that many square cut nails ended up in such a concentrated area.  Quite a few of them were found just using my pinpointer. It's always fun getting out in the woods and doing some relic hunting instead of the usual coinshooting in local parks.  

fullsizeoutput_18db.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, Walter S. Fowler said:

I went out yesterday with my Equinox 800.... Using Field 1, changed to 5 tones, recovery speed 4, F2 at 2.  Makes you wonder why/how that many square cut nails ended up in such a concentrated area.

What were the TID's you were seeing with the nails?

It looks like some of them don't have heads.  Do you think they were cut off, or actually made that way?  Also the fraction that appear straight seems pretty high.  Was there any sign of a fire?  If not maybe a nail spill (ala 'coin spill') is responsible for a bunch of these.

There's gotta be more good stuff at that site.  Don't give up on it!

I hate square nails, especially when I dig them at the two foot level. Just a word of caution, it is not ok to keep them if they are found on Federal Land.

Norm

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, GB_Amateur said:

What were the TID's you were seeing with the nails?

It looks like some of them don't have heads.  Do you think they were cut off, or actually made that way?  Also the fraction that appear straight seems pretty high.  Was there any sign of a fire?  If not maybe a nail spill (ala 'coin spill') is responsible for a bunch of these.

There's gotta be more good stuff at that site.  Don't give up on it!

The TID's were in the same range as a copper penny around 23-27 , but some jumped all over the place.  Yes, there was sign of a fire and also bits of pottery and glass and large pieces of iron of various shapes.  Does seem strange that so many are not bent and perfectly shaped.. Might have been that a building burned down at this site.?  I'm still trying to do research .   The ground is very mineralized at this site also. I haven't found any coins there as yet, but still hopeful.  I think the ones without heads were just broken for some reason.