Had To Hit The Beach Again

27 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Strange place to find an Aussie silver threepence.   That's an outstanding result with that many finds.  Champion effort.

Thanks. It had me going for a while. It's very thin and the part of the Emu(?) looked like a wing when viewed sideways. It was very dull until I cleaned it up a bit. I thought I had found an early US half dime (Flowing hair or Bust style). Those are extremely rare  to find. But it was not to be 🙁 These beaches were very popular after WWII, so I'm thinking a soldier may have brought it back. I can't wait for next week to get back there and see what is left.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kac said:

That's a nice take, no bobby pins?

Thanks. That's just the good stuff 😊 I dug a lot of iron. Nails and big iron. No bobby pins because the ocean cleansed them out to sea for me. No aluminum either. Only the deeper, heavy stuff remained. That's why the high coin count. Mostly only coins and iron. That is a dream scenario for a GPX. Deep coins, and not a lot of non ferrous junk.

• Like 4

I love the gold cross.   Gold crosses are a tough target.

HH
Mike

On 10/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s quite a haul, more silver coins than most people find in a year, and gold also! It’s great to see a post about using the GPX at the beach, that’s power for you. Thanks for posting. :smile:

Thanks Steve. I can almost understand why there are not many people posting a GPX on the beach. Mostly due to the damage that the salt and water can do to an expensive machine. I have already had to spray the potentiometers to un-seize them and my on/off switch is acting like it got some sand in there. It will need replacing soon. They way I hunt, I'm surprised it lasted this long.😄 I'm sure the PC boards are taking a hit as well. Or........ maybe no one wants to let people know how well it works on the beach🤐 After seeing Phrunt's coin hunting adventure, I think I am going to borrow his way of posting subsequent hunts on one post for my beach hunts. So here it is - the return to that beach. A decent amount of silver, not much clad (that's good) and the copper penny to zinc penny ratio is still high at 54:3. Also the usual boatload of iron which is my punishment for digging all those silvers. After all the world loves to be balanced.😉

DSC00082.JPG

DSC00080.JPG

DSC00081.JPG

• Like 7

I returned to that same beach again for what was going to be a decent low tide. I must admit I was kind of tired that morning and it showed in my not so smart strategy. Basically I used the wrong detector, with the wrong coil, during the wrong part of the tide recession. That's it in a nut shell😆 The beach was starting to sand in and my use of a 14" coil for the GPX on a very wet, black sand area, littered with iron was a bad choice. I should have let the sand dry a bit and used the 5x10" coil. Also used the Equinox with the sand too saturated (11" coil), and it performed marginally. For my area, it is better to let the surface of the sand dry a bit and let the saturated part be below and not surface, for the coil to see. All of the silver was found in the dry sand with the GPX early on. Also by shifting to a lower area, you can see the ratio of zinc to copper pennies was way different than the other two hunts. So even after 50 years of detecting, I am still able to make some rookie mistakes 🙄 But I did get a great silver spoon at 20". It was a ghost signal that I chased and it ended up being that spoon. I think it reads-1HAS.W.Kennard&Co 925. I'm heading out to another beach tomorrow to see what it holds. I need to give that beach a rest for a bit. The fun continues.........

DSC00085.JPG

DSC00087.JPG

DSC00090.JPG

• Like 3