Compadre Vs Vaquero

The 8x11 widescan is an ok coil, I have the 10x12 and it goes slightly deeper ie nickel at 16" air test. I have found the DD on the Tejon can go blind on iron when the coil is in over iron and target in parallel BUT you can lay a dime right next to a pile of old rusty nails with the 8x9 concentric and tone out the iron and hear the dime perfectly clear as if there is nothing around it.

Keep that DD for dry sand beach and low iron trash areas, if your not sure on trash level then run the disk so it just breaks at iron but not a clean signal and if you come across a target hit it at a few angles.

Lastly round steel bottle caps can be disc out just at the foil mark so you don't lose the small gold on the 8x9 concentric. DD will struggle.

• Like 1

OK. Just won the 9*8 on Ebay!!!!!!  I usually don't do Ebay but really want a concentric coil for this thing.  Now to wait until it arrives which with my luck will be just about the time the ground freezes!!!!!🙄

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tag1260 ... A lot of the resulting performance you get will be determined by the type of hunting you  do, such as average urban Coin Hunting sites or remote Relic Hunting in very dense nail and other ferrous junk conditions.  Also the particular make and model detector in use because some work fine with one type of coil and not so well with another type of coil based on the site challenges.  We can't ignore the fact that some circuitry designs like a Double-D coil better than a Concentric and visa-versa., and search coil size can also make a big difference.

I've been Coin Hunting since early '65 and relic Hunting since mid-'69.  I've used a variety of search coil types and usually, when I have a choice I'll favor a Concentric designed coil, but not always.  In '71 I started using some of the first Double-D coils offered in this hobby market and enjoyed their general performance and behavior with the brands I used because they were designed to work well with that coil design.  Today I have  a good selection of detectors in my regular-Use Outfit and all have a preferred coil mou8nted, with some being a DD design and others a Concentric.   I did like a few DD's on select Tesoro models, but overall the Concentric coils have been the best performing choices for most of my hunting, and that's generally going to be in heavily nail infested sites with other debris to deal with.  The DD's do not work so well with the Tesoro circuitry designs in side-by-side comparisons.

In most site environments, the bulk of the coins and jewelry are not all that deep and for those applications I believe the topic of 'depth' is overhyped.  Bigger coils also do not work as well in a site with abundant trash targets that cause more good-target masking, whereas a smaller-size coil has the benefit of performance in its favor.  On my current 13 detectors, the largest size coil I keep mounted is a round 9" DD on one of my XP ORX units and the other ORX supports a 5X9½ DD.  All the rest keep a coil on them full-time that runs from a 4.7X5.2 DD on a Nokta CoRe, a 5" DD on my Nokta Relic's, to a 6" Concentric on all four of my Tesoro's, to a 6½" Concentric on my White's IDX Pro and XLT,  to a 7" Concentric on a Fisher F44 and Makro Racer 2.

I have these coils mounted for the most frequent everyday use I'll grab them for, but I do have a few larger-size search coils in my Accessory Coil Tote for those times when I feel a want or need for a bigger coil.  For reasons I am not very partial to the Compadre, but the Vaquero is a much more versatile performer.  I would look for a 6" Concentric for it and NOT the DD, aka Wide-Scan,.  The Concentric will provide better all-purpose performance afield, but I found the 6" Concentric coils to be noticeably heavier than the same-size 6" Concentric I use on my Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX.  By the way, the 5.75 name was simply a dumb marketing move taking after White's lame idea to call some of their coils 5.3 when in reality they measure 6½" in diameter.  The Tesoro 5.75, when measured, is actually a 6" diameter coil.

Hopefully you've had some favorable weather to check out the 8X9 Concentric.  I think you've found it to be a decent search coil for the Vaquero.

Monte

From my use of Tesoro's the concentric coils performed best in my mild ground. Worse ground would need the wide scan coils.

The concentric coil will not have the same blindness with iron masking as the dd coils do. I found mine unbeatable in the trashiest areas loaded with can slag, steel bottle caps etc. That 9x8 concentric is incredible in horrid conditions I have put it through. Depth should close to the stock 8x11 widescan. You should do really well with it in parks and tot lots. I have used that concentric on the beach and did very well in the dry to damp sand but unable to gb in wet sand.

For open fields with low trash the 10x12 is an outstanding coil but as other DD's steel caps will ring higher up with dimes+

Happy Hunting!