Us Gold Coins And The Eqx 800

ColonelDan

4 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

The 1856-S $1 U.S. gold coin I was lucky enough to dig earlier this year was a solid 12 from all angles on my EQX800 and it was about 7" deep:

7 inches for a $1 Gold is impressive.  I was happy to recover mine at about 2 inches, but that was also in  pretty hot dirt dirt and was a Deus not Equinox.  Air test though confirmed a solid 11 with the Equinox that up averages to 12 as depth increases.

• Like 2

My only gold coin I ever found was an 1897 S $5 coin in near uncirculated condition.  It was 8-9” deep, and sounded similar to a deep Indian cent on my Explorer SE Pro....this was back in 2013.  The park I found the coin at (yes, an inner city park) produced numerous barber dimes, Barb quarters, and a barber half, along with 4 or 5 seated dimes, a handful of V’s, and 30-40 Indian pennies.  The park has been hunted by a local detecting club for years....I, along with my 15-20 hunt buddies have been detecting this park since 2007.  It’s amazing that this gold coin remained so elusive to all of us for so many years before I found it. And the kicker is the coin was less than 10 ft from an old tree we’ve hunted countless times over the years...the tree was smack in the middle of the oldest area that produced the old coinage.....never give up on a spot that has produced for you in the past....your best find may be just waiting for you to unearth.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 11:32 PM, Raphis said:

My only gold coin I ever found was an 1897 S $5 coin in near uncirculated condition.  It was 8-9” deep, and sounded similar to a deep Indian cent on my Explorer SE Pro....this was back in 2013.  The park I found the coin at (yes, an inner city park) produced numerous barber dimes, Barb quarters, and a barber half, along with 4 or 5 seated dimes, a handful of V’s, and 30-40 Indian pennies.  The park has been hunted by a local detecting club for years....I, along with my 15-20 hunt buddies have been detecting this park since 2007.  It’s amazing that this gold coin remained so elusive to all of us for so many years before I found it. And the kicker is the coin was less than 10 ft from an old tree we’ve hunted countless times over the years...the tree was smack in the middle of the oldest area that produced the old coinage.....never give up on a spot that has produced for you in the past....your best find may be just waiting for you to unearth.

Congrats!  Yes they do come out of parks, I've heard of several being found around here, but I think more come from relic hunt type sites (stage stops, ghost towns, mining camps, etc) might have more.  I love hunting park demos, frequently parks are doing landscaping that involves moving dirt and I've found 1800's coins in those little scrapes, but I relish the BIG park scrapes. 

It's amazing how many gold coins have come from "worked out sites", especially smaller denominations (sizes).

On 12/3/2020 at 9:28 PM, Chase Goldman said:

7 inches for a $1 Gold is impressive.  I was happy to recover mine at about 2 inches, but that was also in  pretty hot dirt dirt and was a Deus not Equinox.  Air test though confirmed a solid 11 with the Equinox that up averages to 12 as depth increases.

I know we've been over the ground where I dug my $1 gold, so I can't help but think there was probably .22 shells or rusty tin in play around it, and being as deep as it was, the surface targets detracted anyone from digging it (or perhaps even hearing it), but once they were removed, and the ground was moist (better conductor) it finally lit up, or maybe the Equinox 800 just kicks butt, I don't know 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Congrats!  Yes they do come out of parks, I've heard of several being found around here, but I think more come from relic hunt type sites (stage stops, ghost towns, mining camps, etc) might have more.  I love hunting park demos

Thanks, Brian! 👍🏼

I was fortunate to hunt a really good old Park scrape here in So Cal area this year. A few of us hit it for a couple months.....lots of barber dimes, injuns, V’s, Buffs, a few seated dimes, 3 silver half dollars, standing liberty Q’s, lots of mercs/Rosie’s/War nickels, hundreds of early wheats, and a small handful of silver/gold jewelry!  Fun times!!

Dan (captn_fi from Kinzli’s)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raphis said:

Thanks, Brian! 👍🏼

I was fortunate to hunt a really good old Park scrape here in So Cal area this year. A few of us hit it for a couple months.....lots of barber dimes, injuns, V’s, Buffs, a few seated dimes, 3 silver half dollars, standing liberty Q’s, lots of mercs/Rosie’s/War nickels, hundreds of early wheats, and a small handful of silver/gold jewelry!  Fun times!!

Dan (captn_fi from Kinzli’s)

Hey Dan!  Sounds like a great scrape, especially if it's porking out barbers and seateds 👍 

Seem like we get a good one up here about every other year, so we're due for a good one in 2021 🤠