Has Anyone Had Experience Detecting In An Area That Has 5g Towers Near-by?

flakmagnet

Not sure this is a topic for this forum, but this is where I see a large number of technically adept folks posting so I'm going to try (also the folks who are talking about x-coils on another forum).

Has anyone had detecting experience around these 5G installations being rushed out everywhere across the world? It will be interesting to see what levels of interference are generated by this emerging technology. I personally am very much against it's roll-out because there are no deep studies that portray it as a safe-for-living-things technology, in fact the opposite seems to be true, but that aspect is probably not a topic for this website. 

The “millimeter” band wavelengths (strictly speaking frequencies 30 to 300 GHz) are what are touted fir 5G but in reality we are talking frequencies from 3 GHz (slightly higher than present 4G systems) to above 24 GHz for 5G.  These higher frequencies in general are highly attenuated by gases and moisture in the air and this effect will become more pronounced as frequency increases.   By design, the cell footprint for 5G is smaller than for previous generations but the higher frequencies enable more data throughout and ability to reuse frequencies in non-adjacent cells more readily.  Bottom line is that the infrastructure for 5G requires more towers per sq. km so that means more opportunities to encounter a tower especially in urban and suburban areas and along major roadways.  Other than that, it is hard to conclude whether the result will be more EMI because that depends on whether the detector considers the transmit frequency offensive from an EMI perspective.  I don’t think you will necessarily see an increase in lower frequency cell towers whose voice and data frequencies may tend to cause more direct interference with modern detectors like the Equinox.  So it is hard to predict with certainty the impact of the 5G rollout on EMI. 

• Like 2