Hello everyone, I'm getting my first GPS device and narrowed it down to a few. I was wondering if anyone experienced with these can tell me if im doing this correctly or not. 🙂 

Garmin GPSMAP 66s or GPSMAP 64s. Which one would last the longest, most durable

Also, correct me if im wrong. For us electronic prospectors wouldnt it be a good idea to get the HuntsView map?

Or do i get the SE 24k and combine it with the BirdsEye

What map(s) do you all use?

I’ve used the Garmin etrex for 10 years and it’s worked well for finding new ground to sample. I would avoid the hunting maps unless you want to contact a private land owner about doing some mining. I use land matters, google earth, and county recorder to research open land to mine.

• Like 1

Thanks desertpilot

I had BirdsEye 1 year subscription a few years ago. It allowed you to download Google Earth maps at high irresolution.  The main thing you need to do is have a fast internet connection and down as much area as go can as the maps are yours for good when the subscription expires.

Thanks geof_junk, I'll check out the one with the subscription included.

Update: I ended up ordering the Garmin GPSMAP 66s. I'm going to be using high res BirdsEye with the 24K SW map layer. No getting lost now!

• Like 1

I will not go out without my Garmin Montana.  It is higher priced but has paid for itself time and again.  I wanted a large screen and the ability to overlay maps and geology.  I manually would overlay google earth areas for about a year before I tried Birdseye.  It was so worth the money as overlays get you close but are rarely perfect and it's very tedious.

The only other type I wished I had were the Rhino?  so I could find out where my partner is so I can locate him when I find a good gold wash.

Right on Andyy, on your BirdsEye how much data (size in MB/GB) does the high res typically use?

When I did mine of west Australia around Leonora it was about 2006 and internet was slow then but it took many over night downloads to cover many 100 mile square areas of  deserts . Once done you could select an area of any size you wanted in high detail. I have got 3 Rhino 650. 1 is a spare and the other is the wife. They are great units and very reliable with many functions.  

Okay great thanks. Do you remember how many GB it was? I'm asking because im wondering if 16GB of internal is enough for my 66s. I want to put most of AZ in it.