phrunt

Minelab's New What Is Mult-iq Video

Here is Minelab's latest video explaining promoting Multi-IQ 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks Phrunt

Got a good early morning chuckle out of that.  Minelab  promoting the Equinox in a way more suitable to an  LRL device.  Who woulda thunk.

LOL Tom

• Haha 1

If the Vanquish multi-IQ performs as well as the Equinox then beginners are in for a treat.  I hear people say that the multi-IQ target ID's are poor but for me in my soils it's exact opposite, I'm constantly shocked how accurate they are.   I've never found a coin that didn't ID correctly except for old pennys that's ID gets lower the more corroded it is, that's not a flaw in multi-IQ though, that's the penny rotting away 🙂

For a beginner the easier to find a target the better, if they get a number flash up on their screen, dig it knowing it will be a certain coin and it is, they'll love the hobby.  With other detectors I have tried you can get a range of numbers come up on the screen, you're often unsure if it's a coin until you've dug it and have your fingers crossed averaging the numbers in your head.  To an experienced user this is acceptable and with knowledge comes an understanding and your brain works out the rest.  A beginner doesn't have this ability so they would prefer the detector do all the thinking for them.

If I get a 21/22 on my Equinox I know I've found $1 or $2.  Virtually no junk is falling into those numbers.  If I get 9/10 it's virtually always a 5 cent or cupro sixpence,  if I get 11/12 it's virtually always a 10 cent or cupro shilling, if i get a solid 16 it's virtually always a 20 cent or cupro florin.  The list goes on, in my location the worst numbers for junk are 13, 14 and 17 but unfortunately you need to dig them to get silvers. 

This would make a beginner really enjoy using the detector though, they'd just go around a park digging 21/22 and get all the $1 and $2 coins and dig virtually no junk and think they had a really successful hunt, I know as the only way I can get my wife and daughter to enjoy detecting is to set them up this way 🙂

ID accuracy is what I feel the most important thing in a beginners detector and Multi-IQ provides that, at least for me.  I wouldn't enjoy coin hunting near as much if I didn't own the Equinox.  I'm not far off a beginner myself, especially at coin hunting.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I hear people say that the multi-IQ target ID's are poor

It's a difference in perception as to what constitutes accurate target id. Some people think a jumpy target id means an inaccurate target id for instance. Some insist less than 100 target id numbers means inaccurate target id. Whatever, I gave up trying to explain that sort of stuff to people, they can think what they want. The Equinox target id in my opinion is exceptional. For me that means telling me there is something like a dime where other machines can't tell me there is a dime. That's what my Equinox does. That's why I am digging dimes a zillion other machines have been over. The Equinox says there is a dime there, the other machines did not tell their operators that. That is what constitutes good target id in my book.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It's a difference in perception as to what constitutes accurate target id. Some people think a jumpy target id means an inaccurate target id for instance. Some insist less than 100 target id numbers means inaccurate target id. Whatever, I gave up trying to explain that sort of stuff to people, they can think what they want. The Equinox target id in my opinion is exceptional. For me that means telling me there is something like a dime where other machines can't tell me there is a dime. That's what my Equinox does. That's why I am digging dimes a zillion other machines have been over. The Equinox says there is a dime there, the other machines did not tell their operators that. That is what constitutes good target id in my book.

My biggest complaint I have with people saying the numbers are jumping all around is that they swing too fast over the target and they never swing it centered on the target. One swing is centered, next one is 3" lower, next one is much higher, etc. Maybe it's just me, but some You Tubers look like they are rushing it and have no patience. Of course the numbers are going to jump around.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

My biggest complaint I have with people saying the numbers are jumping all around is that they swing too fast over the target and they never swing it centered on the target. One swing is centered, next one is 3" lower, next one is much higher, etc. Maybe it's just me, but some You Tubers look like they are rushing it and have no patience. Of course the numbers are going to jump around.

Yup, it’s all coil control, plain and simple. Here is how it feels to me. I get a target. I then I quickly make a few swings zeroing in in the target, usually rotating around it. There is a feel to this as I watch the numbers when I “know” I got a perfect swing. Other swings I can sense “were off”. It’s like golf and that feeling when you swing perfectly, or fishing and make the perfect cast. The numbers firm as I zero in, and I can tell if it is round or irregular as I rotate. I have been doing this for decades so it’s all done in seconds without thinking. Even at the deepest target where I am barely able to squeak a number, I lock in on one number that is the true number in seconds.

Jumpy also means cranked up sensitivity. Turn it down and things get more solid. But I always run on the ragged edge, so my numbers are jumpy. I don’t actually like machines that are too well behaved... I feel like something is missing, that magic edge. 

So the way I use the Equinox I always very rapidly without thinking zero in on exactly one number I know is the real number in the midst of the jumpy number thing. It’s all in getting those perfect centered swings. People say it has bad target id, frankly I have no idea what they are talking about. Mine is superb.

• Like 8

I think it's a very simplistic but fantastic video, I like it.:smile:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup, it’s all coil control, plain and simple. Here is how it feels to me. I get a target. I then I quickly make a few swings zeroing in in the target, usually rotating around it. There is a feel to this as I watch the numbers when I “know” I got a perfect swing. Other swings I can sense “were off”. It’s like golf and that feeling when you swing perfectly, or fishing and make the perfect cast. The numbers firm as I zero in, and I can tell if it is round or irregular as I rotate. I have been doing this for decades so it’s all done in seconds without thinking. Even at the deepest target where I am barely able to squeak a number, I lock in on one number that is the true number in seconds.

That was the quintessential Equinox experience for me earlier this year.  Calabash and I were in a sandy rice plantation field (previously pounded hard) and you had to coax these brass buttons and other relics out of fairly mild soil but mixed in with plenty of nails and other trash.  When that when I got that solid 17 or 18 to settle down with a wiggle swing (where a full swing would result in a myriad of numbers due to the other junk targets),  I knew it was worth a dig and recovered a number of flat buttons as result.  It took a while for me to get "dialed in" with how the targets sounded, but once I was, the buttons seemed like they were popping out of the ground.  Of course they weren't, but it sure was fun.  Calabash got the Cherry on Top with a nice little half real.  I'm sure my coil crossed over or near that target.  Lol.20190219_082356.thumb.jpg.eda2aca04f94e065445c559245137f14.jpg

• Like 4