Minelab's New What Is Mult-iq Video

For me, at this stage of the learning curve, it's hard to put into words my 30 weeks of Equinox adventures. This new ML video does not square with any of my experiences. At an average of twenty hours per week, the Equinox has brought me to the dance and taught me enough moves to the point of both head-exploding exhaustion and giddy satisfaction. Reading all of the meaningful technical explanations written by Steve, Chase, NASA Tom, various authors and others capable of reducing this metal detecting business to words gives me enough additional clues to kinda know that I may be past an embryo but still a fetus. After all, it takes nine months just to be born, and I am not there yet. This MineLab comic strip is harmless fluff of the cutest nature.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:30 AM, Flowdog said:

For me, at this stage of the learning curve, it's hard to put into words my 30 weeks of Equinox adventures. This new ML video does not square with any of my experiences. At an average of twenty hours per week, the Equinox has brought me to the dance and taught me enough moves to the point of both head-exploding exhaustion and giddy satisfaction. Reading all of the meaningful technical explanations written by Steve, Chase, NASA Tom, various authors and others capable of reducing this metal detecting business to words gives me enough additional clues to kinda know that I may be past an embryo but still a fetus. After all, it takes nine months just to be born, and I am not there yet. This MineLab comic strip is harmless fluff of the cutest nature.

It's nice to read what others have to say about a new detector but it all needs to be read and studied as information that may pertain to you.  May is the word and in some case can't and will never apply to where you're hunting.  I'll give a short story:

When the Fisher F75 first came out it was marked as the best do all machine on the market.  I bought one and immediately started finding good targets where I had already hunted. I was having a great time learning this new machine and finding good stuff too.  Then I started reading what a particular person (not mentioning the name) in Florida had to say about the F75.  He was well know and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to detecting.  I took his words as absolutes, my first mistake.  I stared mimicking his settings and almost immediately I became dissatisfied with my machine to the point I sent it back to see why it was so erratic in its operation.  The machine returned with a clean bill of health (nothing was wrong).  Sold the machine and bought another and the same thing happened.  Over the next several years I've bought and sold many of the F75 before I realized (my fault) what was wrong.  I was running the machine using the original setting posted by this person.  Trying at best I started taming the machine down (had to reprogram my thinking to not include his settings) until the erratic behavior stopped and I started enjoying the machine again.  Huge lesson.  Went on and found a lot of good stuff over time. 

Now I said all this to explain something very true:

This guy lives in Florida where the mineralization is zero or very close to zero.

Where I live the mineralization is medium to high.

He could run at extremely high sensitivity setting  because there was nothing in the ground to cause a reaction to the detector.

Where I live the ground prevents high sensitivity setting (actually causes a multitude of false signals)

Now, how does this pertain to the Equinox:

I have refused to read about other hunters settings because the sites dictate my settings and there is absolutely no one setting for all sites. 

I have really enjoyed  and continue to enjoy the Equinox and can say for sure it is the very first detector in two decades I've kept more than a year.  January will make 2 years, what a milestones for me.

• Like 7
39 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

hers have to say about a new detector but it all needs to be read and studied as information that may pertain to you.  May is the word and in some case can't and will never apply to where you're hunting.

Thanks Mark for taking time to make that vital point. I should have mentioned that, before Equinox, I have no detecting experience. The guys I mentioned more or less told me the same thing in their own way. After a couple of hundred hours The Lesson started to sink in. I realized that in my local valley I am fortunate to hunt in some very benign dirt. I can usually run quiet at near max gain. I can drive 20 minutes and get into the green belt looking for nuggets and the same settings make the machine useless. The ground is just too hot. Your point is in line with what your experiences conveyed: learn the detector. With about 600 hours on Equinox I have developed some gross motor skills and feel confident I can make any adjustments to operate it quiet-hot, which is definitely ground/emi relative. The thing about the guys I mentioned above, in some of their collective writings some individual subtleties are described as various techniques in pinpointing, zeroing in on a TDI, recovery, etc. Not much to do with settings necessarily. I use the signals from the written information simply as signposts that I am listening to the dance lessons taught to me by Equinox without going astray. A simple example of what I am jabbering on about is Steve describing his ability to - very quickly without much thought - isolate a primary TID among many competing signals. Reading that assured me that I am doing the same, it just isn't second nature quite yet, but the signpost exists that I am not lost dancing around a target trying to determine if it will lock or it is going to likely be trash.

With regards to the local soil, Lingren, the author of The Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada of California made serious note of the complete lack of mineralization found in Sierra Valley. Another signpost warning that there is no natural gold, but explains why I can maximize my settings relic and coin/jewelry hunting if EMI allows.

Thanks Mark, the reminder about OPS (other people's settings). Helps to keep me on the dance floor.

-Curtis

• Like 4

Do not forget one important thing ... Fast multi-frequency in entry level Detector / 340 / ...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Do not forget one important thing ... Fast multi-frequency in entry level Detector / 340 / ...

That's why I'm getting a Vanquish, I expect it to out perform my T2 and Gold Bug Pro's mainly due to it's multi-IQ, a great machine for my wife to use on her occasional coin hunt.  If she enjoys it more she may want to do it more 🙂 and she doesn't want to use my Equinox as then she thinks I won't do as well and she wants me to do well.  I am sure the Vanquish will outperform both in a lot of circumstances, amazing for the price. The more videos I watch on it the more I can tell it's a modified version of the Nox software to suit the new detector, I expect the performance will be very similar to the Nox on default settings. 

I rarely even use the advanced settings of the Nox, so I could probably be satisfied with a Vanquish as my primary unit.  I went for the 540 Pro pack as it comes with the second coil, for me to buy two Nel coils for my T2 (I was considering getting another one soon) will almost cost me what the Vanquish 540 Pro pack costs, and it comes with two coils. A Bargain in my mind.  I'm so glad this is happening to VLF pricing.  Now Minelab needs some PI competition to lower their PI prices to a reasonable level.  The QED is the closest competition they've got from what I've seen but unfortunately it's not mainstream yet so they won't be too worried about it.

btw - it looks like they've fixed up the pinpoint bug in the Vanquish 🙂

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Nik11
      2 metal detectors under 1000$€£ 
      Both have won many compliments and have been talked a lot  since they were released in the market! Which one would YOU choose...? 🤔
    • By Northeast
      Having just spent a few days at the beach using the Equinox in beach mode and it performing so well I wondered if people use them for detecting salt lakes looking for gold.  Maybe a silly question? 
      My disclaimer is that I have never done that sort of detecting but have read many comments over the past few years about salt lakes being notoriously hard for detectors to handle. 
      Although the Equinox is a VLF and might struggle against a PI in mineralised ground, would it possibly have a distinct advantage in a high salt environ.  
      Steve H - thanks for shifting my other thread about beach detecting. Again, wasn’t sure about this one - Gold forum or Equinox?
      Cheers, N.E.
    • By Reaper
      Looking for gold tomorrow. New to everything. What is the best setting for gold if anyone knows?
      I will do my best to calibrate the detector tomorrow and was thinking of trying to use some gold jewelery to attempt calibration test. I was told by someone in a hiking shop the Vanquish 440 does not have the frequency to pick up small fragments of gold, is this true? Would the “all metal” and a high sensitivity setting give me the best chance if there is not too much interference in the soil?

Thanks in advance guys.

• By Al F
      I’m wondering which Equinox ( 600 or 800 ) would be the better for my use for what I do here in So Calif... mostly Beaches....any thoughts ? ?
    • By Glasswalker
      Hey everyone, so I received my shiny new Vanquish 540 at Christmas, and only had a couple chances to get out and do anything with it.
      But I got out a couple times, and tried some things, this post is a mix of a bit of a log of my first activities/attempts, and what I experienced, what I think I learned, etc... As well as an ask for any tips/advice/help anyone has to add for my next couple outings (things to try, things to improve, etc)
      First time out I went around my yard/lawn/gardens, and just got familiar with the machine, played with settings, got used to the tones, etc...
      I found Jewelry Mode worked well initially (tried Coin mode, couldn't discern any real difference, and relic mode didn't seem like what I'd usually be using from the manual description). I started with max sensitivity which was a little chatty... Then turning it down 2-3 notches seemed to silence the machine completely, and it had no falses, but still clearly identified targets... Seemed pretty good 🙂 even found a couple coins along my driveway from long before I lived here (though modern spendies).
      Anyway, then next up I got a whole bunch of household objects:
      Modern coins of every denomination Some jewelry (10K gold rings, 18K gold rings, 10K gold brooch, 10K gold necklace, silver necklace, silver brooch, pewter bracelet) Assorted screws, bolts, etc Some brass hardware Misc Junk, aluminium etc And proceeded to setup a test spot that there was nothing in the ground, laid a board out, and swung past the items, getting to know the IDs for each, how I detect them, differences with different orientations, etc... Also tried each of the junk items, and even tried masking (pairing up junk with good items) to see what that did... Overall this process took a couple hours of playing with the detector, and I thought I had a good handle on it...
      So then I went to my first beach, saltwater beach, no black sand, fairly popular beach, went when it was quiet, about mid-tide. Powered up, let it do it's noise cancelling, and immediately it started chattering (still on max sensitivity) so turned it down 2-3 like I did at home, still chattery, so turned it down to 4-5 notches below max... Seemed quiet then... So then I started walking along the waterline about 1m away from where the top of the waves lapped at the sand (so sand was still "damp" but not "wet", just on the "water side" of the totally dry sand). And went along the water line at a slow pace, doing my best (and likely failing) to get a good swing technique (more on that later lol).
      What I found was that it was very noisy, it was picking up little beeps and bloops (sometimes with no target id, sometimes with) and if I went back and swung around that spot to see what the beep was, it wouldn't be there, so inconsistent... Then I did find a target that was consistent, and pinpointed it, dug it up, and it was a pull-tab, ok no problem that was expected to dig a bunch of those up, and at least I was able to identify a target and recover it successfully...
      Still had a lot of noise though, and tricky to decide what to dig and what not to. I was also noticing almost all the targets I got an ID for (including the inconsistent ones, and consistent ones) were at the max depth readout... 
      Dug 3-4 more targets, ended up with a few pull-tabs, some can slaw, and a great big iron bolt rusted really badly, which for some reason was coming up as a high 20s on the target ID...
      Had another target that was a consistent 33-35 on the target and very strong, and stable, but showing max depth... And I dug down probably 18" deep (and eventually a hole like 2 feet diameter lol). Kept re-checking still had same consistent signal... But was hitting hard-packed sand, and my digging tools weren't up to going deeper... So never recovered that one...
      Once I went a couple hundred meters I turned around and went the other direction, as the tide had come in a bit by then... And when I turned I switched from Jewelry to Coin mode, and tried Coin mode on the return trip... Still had that noisy behavior, like I was picking up 1-2 beeps or bloops on every swing, but mostly tiny beeps (medium to high pitch, not iron tone) usually with no ID code. I did figure out around this time that the unstable hits I was getting at 14-15 id which seemed consistent enough to warrant double-checking, but weren't stable, if I turned on all metal mode, I immediately noticed a consistent iron tone, so thought those might be junk pretending to be something else... 
      So in total I spent about 2 hours on the beach, found some trash, cleaned the beach up a bit, and had some fun. But clearly need to do some more learning to get better with the machine.
      Another thing I learned is I suspect my form is off (ergonomics, swing technique, whatever). I was able to get a decent swing arc about 60-90 degree arc in front of me, and I think did an "ok" job of keeping the coil at a consistent flat height, but probably lifted it a bit at the end of the swing (did my best not to). Also beach was a bit rocky/shelly, mostly clean sand, but had "debris" and occasionally bumped some of that, or scuffed off a rock, etc... Again tried not to do that either lol... But the biggest thing that seemed to indicate I was doing something wrong is I was getting a fair bit of fatigue, which became pain, in my hand/wrist and running up my forearm. I suspected initially I was gripping the handgrip too tightly, tried to loosen off that, but while the detector seems super light and simple to swing at first, after a couple hours it quickly began to wear on me (and I'm a big guy, with a fair bit of upper body strength). After coming back and reading, I suspect my first mistake was over-reaching with the coil. I had it about 20+ inches in front of my feet when swinging, didn't realize I should have it much closer... Also as I said I was over-gripping the hand-grip. So I'll try adjusting some of that next time. But any other tips there would be appreciated.
      Secondly, I was troubled by how "noisy" it was, and combined with all the targets I was seeing being at "max depth" indicator, was worried, that turning down sensitivity further might mean I'm missing things... I didn't seem to notice a main difference between the coin and jewelry mode, but probably don't have enough time on the machine to tell the subtle differences yet...
      So, first off does anyone with experience think one mode is preferable over another for general beach hunting on the Vanquish 540?
      Second, how should I be tuning the detector to optimize my experience? Should I be turning the sensitivity down further? Am I missing targets? (am I mis-reading the depth indicator) etc... 🙂
      I didn't really experiment much with the Iron Bias setting (low vs the default of high), and I didn't play with Iron Volume at all.
      Anyway, any advice or input/suggestions at all would be appreciated. I'm excited to get out and get more practice in, and learn some more, but always good to take what I've learned, and combine it with sound advice from those with the battle scars to know what they are talking about 😉
      I know @phrunt has already given me a ton of good advice on the local NZ id codes to look for with commonly found coin types, etc... And those matched up perfectly with what I found in my little "test garden" experiment at home... And so Simon if you have any specific advice being as you've detected in some of the similar environments I'm in, and with the same detector, any additional "nuggets" that you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated (of the information kind I mean of course, though the other kind would be appreciated also lol)
      Thanks! And happy hunting!
    • By mn90403
      Late this afternoon I snuck in a beach hunt.  It was very disappointing in the beginning.  The conditions were just great with a low tide but there was nothing much down low.  I began following the advice I gave Adam about Zig Zagging and it was only producing odd targets.  Sometimes the beach just doesn't have much to give you I began to say.  When I reached one of my good beaches after about a mile walk and the conditions weren't right it was time to return on the high side.
      This I did and I worked my way into a few coins rather than just trash and by now I had 3 cheap rings which I would have been 'satisfied' with had I gotten back to my car then but it was a great sunset again.  This time I didn't have my phone so no pictures of it.  I worked the high side for a bit with a grid and then I heard a little 1.  When I say 'little' I mean it was not very loud.  It was consistent and I was hopeful.  I don't get many 1's so in my first scoop I could see something sandy hanging from it and it had knots.  It wasn't exactly balled up but I could tell it was a chain and I was hopeful.
      I could see it ... GOLD!

And when I got it home I was able to measure it.  It is 30 inches (a delicate link) that weighs 8.4 grams.

That gives me some pause but I'll get it checked and modify the post if it is a fake.
      Here it is with the other junk from the hunt.

Here is a hunt from 4 days ago when there was a lot less than today.

Mitchel