phrunt

Minelab's New What Is Mult-iq Video

For me, at this stage of the learning curve, it's hard to put into words my 30 weeks of Equinox adventures. This new ML video does not square with any of my experiences. At an average of twenty hours per week, the Equinox has brought me to the dance and taught me enough moves to the point of both head-exploding exhaustion and giddy satisfaction. Reading all of the meaningful technical explanations written by Steve, Chase, NASA Tom, various authors and others capable of reducing this metal detecting business to words gives me enough additional clues to kinda know that I may be past an embryo but still a fetus. After all, it takes nine months just to be born, and I am not there yet. This MineLab comic strip is harmless fluff of the cutest nature.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:30 AM, Flowdog said:

For me, at this stage of the learning curve, it's hard to put into words my 30 weeks of Equinox adventures. This new ML video does not square with any of my experiences. At an average of twenty hours per week, the Equinox has brought me to the dance and taught me enough moves to the point of both head-exploding exhaustion and giddy satisfaction. Reading all of the meaningful technical explanations written by Steve, Chase, NASA Tom, various authors and others capable of reducing this metal detecting business to words gives me enough additional clues to kinda know that I may be past an embryo but still a fetus. After all, it takes nine months just to be born, and I am not there yet. This MineLab comic strip is harmless fluff of the cutest nature.

It's nice to read what others have to say about a new detector but it all needs to be read and studied as information that may pertain to you.  May is the word and in some case can't and will never apply to where you're hunting.  I'll give a short story:

When the Fisher F75 first came out it was marked as the best do all machine on the market.  I bought one and immediately started finding good targets where I had already hunted. I was having a great time learning this new machine and finding good stuff too.  Then I started reading what a particular person (not mentioning the name) in Florida had to say about the F75.  He was well know and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to detecting.  I took his words as absolutes, my first mistake.  I stared mimicking his settings and almost immediately I became dissatisfied with my machine to the point I sent it back to see why it was so erratic in its operation.  The machine returned with a clean bill of health (nothing was wrong).  Sold the machine and bought another and the same thing happened.  Over the next several years I've bought and sold many of the F75 before I realized (my fault) what was wrong.  I was running the machine using the original setting posted by this person.  Trying at best I started taming the machine down (had to reprogram my thinking to not include his settings) until the erratic behavior stopped and I started enjoying the machine again.  Huge lesson.  Went on and found a lot of good stuff over time. 

Now I said all this to explain something very true:

This guy lives in Florida where the mineralization is zero or very close to zero.

Where I live the mineralization is medium to high.

He could run at extremely high sensitivity setting  because there was nothing in the ground to cause a reaction to the detector.

Where I live the ground prevents high sensitivity setting (actually causes a multitude of false signals)

Now, how does this pertain to the Equinox:

I have refused to read about other hunters settings because the sites dictate my settings and there is absolutely no one setting for all sites. 

I have really enjoyed  and continue to enjoy the Equinox and can say for sure it is the very first detector in two decades I've kept more than a year.  January will make 2 years, what a milestones for me.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

hers have to say about a new detector but it all needs to be read and studied as information that may pertain to you.  May is the word and in some case can't and will never apply to where you're hunting.

Thanks Mark for taking time to make that vital point. I should have mentioned that, before Equinox, I have no detecting experience. The guys I mentioned more or less told me the same thing in their own way. After a couple of hundred hours The Lesson started to sink in. I realized that in my local valley I am fortunate to hunt in some very benign dirt. I can usually run quiet at near max gain. I can drive 20 minutes and get into the green belt looking for nuggets and the same settings make the machine useless. The ground is just too hot. Your point is in line with what your experiences conveyed: learn the detector. With about 600 hours on Equinox I have developed some gross motor skills and feel confident I can make any adjustments to operate it quiet-hot, which is definitely ground/emi relative. The thing about the guys I mentioned above, in some of their collective writings some individual subtleties are described as various techniques in pinpointing, zeroing in on a TDI, recovery, etc. Not much to do with settings necessarily. I use the signals from the written information simply as signposts that I am listening to the dance lessons taught to me by Equinox without going astray. A simple example of what I am jabbering on about is Steve describing his ability to - very quickly without much thought - isolate a primary TID among many competing signals. Reading that assured me that I am doing the same, it just isn't second nature quite yet, but the signpost exists that I am not lost dancing around a target trying to determine if it will lock or it is going to likely be trash.

With regards to the local soil, Lingren, the author of The Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada of California made serious note of the complete lack of mineralization found in Sierra Valley. Another signpost warning that there is no natural gold, but explains why I can maximize my settings relic and coin/jewelry hunting if EMI allows.

Thanks Mark, the reminder about OPS (other people's settings). Helps to keep me on the dance floor.

-Curtis

• Like 4

Do not forget one important thing ... Fast multi-frequency in entry level Detector / 340 / ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Do not forget one important thing ... Fast multi-frequency in entry level Detector / 340 / ...

That's why I'm getting a Vanquish, I expect it to out perform my T2 and Gold Bug Pro's mainly due to it's multi-IQ, a great machine for my wife to use on her occasional coin hunt.  If she enjoys it more she may want to do it more 🙂 and she doesn't want to use my Equinox as then she thinks I won't do as well and she wants me to do well.  I am sure the Vanquish will outperform both in a lot of circumstances, amazing for the price. The more videos I watch on it the more I can tell it's a modified version of the Nox software to suit the new detector, I expect the performance will be very similar to the Nox on default settings. 

I rarely even use the advanced settings of the Nox, so I could probably be satisfied with a Vanquish as my primary unit.  I went for the 540 Pro pack as it comes with the second coil, for me to buy two Nel coils for my T2 (I was considering getting another one soon) will almost cost me what the Vanquish 540 Pro pack costs, and it comes with two coils. A Bargain in my mind.  I'm so glad this is happening to VLF pricing.  Now Minelab needs some PI competition to lower their PI prices to a reasonable level.  The QED is the closest competition they've got from what I've seen but unfortunately it's not mainstream yet so they won't be too worried about it.

btw - it looks like they've fixed up the pinpoint bug in the Vanquish 🙂

• Like 2