Greetings From Cottage Grove Oregon!

Bohemia Miner

I live near the Bohemian Mining District, hence the handle “Bomemia Miner.  The area was named after an outlaw miner known as Bohemia john.

I have been prospecting since 1999.  I started metal detecting shortly after that and then started working in the industry in 2005.  The late Jim Straight was my good friend and mentor.

I currently own a Tesoro Compadre with 5” coil for the kids.  An Equinox 800 and the TDI High-Q.  I love the latter for its lighter weight.  I’ve had problems with arthritis in my thumbs and wrists.  After corrective surgery, I still can’t handle the six-pound (without the battery) detectors such as the Minelab (PI) Super Detectors, as they used to be called or the Garrett ATX.  I also love the fact that I can run the gain at full throttle and still have a quiet threshold.  My Pin Pointer of choice is the White’s TRX although I have a Coiltek in-line probe that will work on the TDI.  I’d also like to get a Gold Bug Pro for a back and loaner detector.

I look forward to reading everyone’s posts and being able to reply and contribute some of the knowledge I’ve acquired over the years.  But most importantly, I’m here to learn.  Thank you, Steve for creating this forum and allowing me to become a part of it.

Walt Evens

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Walt!  We go back to the days of hunting with the Riverside Treasure Hunters.  I permanently moved to Oregon (Florence) maybe a year or so after you made your move.  You have come to the right site.  I miss my 29 Palms nugget trips, BIG TIME.  GaryC/Oregon Coast (Gary Crabtree)

Hi Gary:

Thanks for the Holler!  You're not that far from me.  I bet you miss those Treasure Rich Cali parks and beaches also.

I haven't done much Nugget Hunting since I arrived here but I'm hoping to change that next year.  If I find any good spots I'll let you know.

Thanks for the welcome Steve.  I've heard much about you from others.  Your skills and knowledge base are unprecedented.

I look forward to the many things I'll learn here from you and others.

ps:  Did you used to own Alaska Mining and Diving?

• Thanks 1

A high school buddy and I founded AMDS in 1976. In 2010 we created an ESOP and sold the company to the employees, financing the entire sale to them. They did not have to invest a dime, just pay us back out of profits over the years. I am still on the Board of Directors and fly up at least once a year for a visit. They had their struggles early on but are doing very well now. I am very proud of them!

https://www.akmining.com/aboutus

Hello,

And good to have you here👍

• Like 1