Google Maps And Nad27 Datum

mn90403

I use Google Maps for most of my navigation and prospecting trips.  It gets me to where I want to go and if I download the offline map I still know where I am out in the field with the GPS on my phone.

I can put in locations from various formats but I still have not been able to find the format for putting in the numbers in the UTM-EAST and UTM-NORTH format.

How is that done on the search bar in maps?

Mitchel

UTM. A Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate comprises a zone number, a hemisphere (N/S), an easting and a northing. Eastings are referenced from the central meridian of each zone, & northings from the equator, both in metres. ... Eastings are measured from 500,000 metres west of the central meridian.

When I first started the mistake i made was not looking up the zone that I was targeting.

1. UTM zones are all 6 degrees wide and increase from west to east starting at the -180 degree mark.
  2. Calculate the eastern boundary of any UTM zone by multiplying the zone number by 6 and substract 180.
  3. Subtract 6 degrees to obtain the western boundary.

.. Eastings are measured from 500,000 metres west of the central meridian.

When I first started the mistake i made was not looking up the zone that I was targeting.

1. UTM zones are all 6 degrees wide and increase from west to east starting at the -180 degree mark.
  2. Calculate the eastern boundary of any UTM zone by multiplying the zone number by 6 and substract 180.
  3. Subtract 6 degrees to obtain the western boundary.
  4. A lot of map conversion programs allow direct conversion to UTM.

• Like 1

There are two numbers for each point.  What is the format to put them on the Google Map search?

The first # is the Zone "Number&Letter" Joined onto the "Easting"  followed by the "Northing"     The Zone  "Number&Letter" are not always used as they are considering you are using a map of that zone.   The main benefit of UTM is the maps are made with Metric measurement and form a square grid of the area. This allows a two points on a map to be measured with a straight line and not a curved one.   If you use Google you must put in the Zone identification to see where your coordinates are. 

This link might help.

https://www.latlong.net/lat-long-utm.html

• Like 3

Thank you very much.  Your link showed me what I needed to look for and it is the reverse of your link.  I have the UTMs but needed to convert them and now this link shows them on Google Maps.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/utm-latitude-longitude-d_1370.html

I'm often times stumped by the simple things.

When I was playing around with GPS in the late 1990's it was hard to get anyone who knew anything about the subject and our friend MR GOOGLE was very limited. If I remember right there was a section in google earth were you can select the input data. Anyway I glad you are getting where you want to.  :nugget: