Prospecting Modes

Does anybody know why they didn't include the 15 kHz frequency in the Prospecting modes?

Because frequencies above 15 khz hit harder on gold, so the are preferred for prospecting (if you choose not to use Gokd Multi).  Nothing stops you from using any of the Park or Field modes in any of the single frequencies to prospect, all you lose is the VCO audio and true threshold of gold mode.  Otherwise, you should be able to hit gold in those modes as well.  Regardless, "2" mode  Park or Field Multi (higher frequency weighted), 20, or 40 khz single are your best bets for prospecting other than Gold in Multi, 20, or 40.

• Like 3

It's still a "Gold" frequency.  That's why they used it in the DFX, MXT (14 actually), Scorpion Gold Stinger and AT Pro.

I thought one might get a little bigger and/or deeper gold if it were incorporated.

2 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

It's still a "Gold" frequency.  That's why they used it in the DFX, MXT (14 actually), Scorpion Gold Stinger and AT Pro.

I thought one might get a little bigger and/or deeper gold if it were incorporated.

ML made that decision for whatever reason.  But like I said, nothing is stopping you from using 15 khz in the other modes to prospect for gold.  There really is nothing magic about using Prospecting mode once you decide to go single frequency (the Gold modes the multi IQ profile is set up specifically for gold prospecting, but once you go to single all you are getting that is different from the other modes is the VCO audio and threshold).  600 users find plenty of small gold without access to a prospecting mode and with their units in Multi IQ in Park or Field modes (ideally Park 2 or Field 2) and at 15 khz which the upper limit of their single frequency selection.  So knock yourself out with 15 khz in Field/Park modes (once you go single frequency, the Field/Park mode designations kind of no longer matter because they are really defined by the respective Multi IQ profiles reserved for those modes, otherwise you have all the same user settings available in those modes).

• Like 3

I'm not interested in using a single frequency.  I was just was wondering why the Gold Prospecting mode wasn't 15, 20 and 40.

Although most of those detectors with the exception of the AT Pro and the MXT All Pro are discontinued, they must have thought that 14/15 kHz was good for gold.

19 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

I'm not interested in using a single frequency.  I was just was wondering why the Gold Prospecting mode wasn't 15, 20 and 40.

Since the default Prospecting mode operating frequency setting is Multi (which likely includes 15 kHz in its spectrum profile, though weighted to the higher gold optimal frequencies for the reasons Steve and I described previously) AND you are not interested in single frequency, why do you keep asking about it?  Just use multi which includes the whole spectrum and forget about the single frequency choices ML made.  I have non prospecting reasons why Gold mode with the lower available single frequency settings (5, 10, 15 kHz) would be desirable.  But for gold prospecting, I have no issue with ML selection of only 20 kHz and 40 kHz as the single frequency backups to the generally preferred and default setting of Multi IQ (multi frequency).

I misunderstood the question I think, and erased my previous answers, as well as the cell phone discussion. I thought you were asking why 15 kHz was not included as a single frequency option in Gold Mode and tried to offer a rationale for that. The real answer to that question is “I don’t know why Minelab only offered 20 kHz and 40 kHz single frequency options in Gold Mode”. I have some pretty good ideas but at the end of the day it does not matter, it is what it is.

I believe however Walt what you are really trying to ask is “why does Multi as incorporated in Gold Mode not include 15 kHz?”

Nobody has ever said that 15 kHz is not included in the mix. The single frequency options offered have nothing to do with what frequencies make up the Multi option, if that is what you were assuming.

Nobody but Minelab knows what is really going on in the processing side, but here are the scope results of the transmitted frequencies https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/8565-equinox-is-multi-frequency-or-isnt-it-is-it-not-it-is-isnt-it/?do=findComment&comment=85296

And does not answer the question directly but good nonetheless...

• Like 1

Steve, I should have posed my question a little more clearer.  You're correct.  I was wondering why 15kHz wasn't included as one of the Multi-Frequencies in the Gold Prospecting modes.

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one it takes a while for the light  bulb to go on.  LOL

Thanks!

Walt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

Steve, I should have posed my question a little more clearer.  You're correct.  I was wondering why 15kHz wasn't included as one of the Multi-Frequencies in the Gold Prospecting modes.

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one it takes a while for the light  bulb to go on.  LOL

Thanks!

Walt

That's what I was trying to say previously, multi and the single frequency settings are not exactly related and in multi you have a combination of multiple different frequencies (perhaps even including 15 khz, but ML has not divulged the exact frequency spectrum for each mode) not just the single frequency options provided.   It is actually more complicated than that and thinking of Multi IQ as a combination of discrete frequencies like 5, 10, 15, 20, and 40 is probably not exactly right, but good enough for conceptual purposes.  Glad Steve cleared that up for you.