Steve Didn't Get It All In Reno Parks!

mn90403

Hey Mitchell, next time your in the area i would love to meet up and detect some ground with you, i know some spots around town. I meant to get to Chris's talk last night and join comstock prospectors. but life had other plans for me. Did you stay at the motel 6 off of Wells ave. ? that place is rough, next time let's meet up and you will find my wife and i are pretty good at letting friends stay with us we live right downtown off the freeway nothing special but a friendly free place is hard to beat. Happy hunting on the rest of your trip.

ht

• Thanks 1

That ring is hazardous duty pay Mitchel! Hell, I'm a fisherman and you won't find me in Fisherman's Park. I would be too worried about my car being broken into. Metal detecting there is quite an invitation for trouble. I am really glad that you moseyed through unscathed.

Ditto what fredmason said about Hwy 49. Last winter my neighbor said she was going to Holister from Portola during the height of a snowstorm. Donner Pass was closed, so she asked about using 49 as an alternate route. She's just got back yesterday. 😳 I tried to warn her. Exaggerated, but she swears off 49 even though she survived that icy sob.

I would have liked to meet you and taken you to a couple of permissions. You went through Portola and just so happens on the day you went through town, I found my first old token (Good for ONE cigar or drink) while you were waiting for Hwy 70 shuttle to proceed. I have contended with the road work ALL summer - going and coming from Reno for shopping, etc. Grrrr.

If you're coming back this way you are welcome to PM if you are so inclined.

Curtis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2019 at 6:55 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

The antique red dozer was pushing at Rye Patch years back and getting plenty good gold.   I can't remember what issue,  but it was on the front cover of ICMJ magazine.  Those guys doing it would work a few days,  grab the gravy gold and then head back home to their regular jobs and family.   As soon as they left the locals would show up and clean up the smaller ones with VLFs.  It was a win win for everyone and kept the locals happy.  Oh well... nothing wrong with sharing a little gold.   On a side note,  a couple of those guys will be down at Rye Patch swinging next week. 

Glad you were able to learn some history of RP and had a safe trip home. 

I thought I recognized them!  haha  Some of these 'thoughts' should be added to that thread called Rye Patch Claim jumpers.  I've been keeping my mouth shut over there about any of this.

This is maybe how I had been given the impression that some people were in on 'common digs' when in fact after they were done with the GPXing of the push they let the locals have a crack at it!  

• Like 1

Well, thanks everyone.  I thought I had made it clear I was going to see Chris at the Comstock meeting.  The next day I met up with Gary who will be the new VP and we went to a Yuba River claim and panned gold for the day.

I'm not much of a panner but Gary did a good job.  It was a perfect day.  I learned to pan a bit better but I can't make a living at it!

I'll make it back up that way one of these days but I've been up north 3 times in the last couple of months.

• 4 weeks later...

We've just finished giving the ring a thorough cleaning.  My discovery is that it says 18k rather than 10k!

It's still a keeper.

Mitchel

• Like 2