Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Simplex Price Is Already Low - What Will A Used Simplex Sell For?

The 5" coil isn't concentric?

22 minutes ago, kac said:

The 5" coil isn't concentric?

Nope, it’s a DD.  The other funny thing is the F75 and T2 DD coils are NOT cross compatible (doh!).  I keep an F75 around simply because it is compatible with concentric coils plus it sported the best all around ergonomics of any detector I ever used.  (I keep my Whites MXT around because I loved the analog controls) - both are basically museum pieces now.  They are like Nigel Tufnel’s Spinal Tap guitar collection - I cherish them, but no longer use them.  

90% chance Nokta comes out with a small concentric for Simplex just like they have for the Anfibio, Kruzer,  and Impact.  

ML has a slight edge in overall detecting technology with Multi  IQ.  Nokta is building solid performing units with features that are requested by their customers, if they come out with a multi frequency tech that rivals multi IQ, watch out.  XP has a a solid alternate, completely wireless and light/compact detector design that kills in thick iron but they need to break through in the multi frequency game too and become more affordable to stay relevant. 

Everyone else is on the outside looking in becoming less and less relevant with every new release by the other guys due to their outdated concepts and tech or clunky designs and comparatively expensive price tags for what you are getting.  Sad to see it.

• Like 4

I saw the Kruzer has a 9" concentric, think that would be a killer combo on that machine.

I prefer pots over buttons, so much finer to tweak than clicking though some numbers.

• Like 1

From what I understand it takes a long time to get a new detector off the ground, if Fisher and others haven't got something in the works it might be too late, imagine the detector landscape five years from now when they'll be ready to go to market.  There will be a dramatic shift in the mean time with the detectors people are using.  The old detectors people were using will be retired from use and replaced with these new ones.  The loyal die hard Garrett fans and so on may have to have a rethink on if loyalty or technology matters most.  

I don't want to see any of them collapse but if any do I won't be surprised.

I'd love for any of them to surprise me and come out with a Christmas present. :laugh:

• Like 1

We've been down this speculation road before.  My suspicion is that Garrett is concentrating on their strong suit -- security/industrial/military.  First Texas?  It seems something went wrong with their work on the super-CZ (or whatever it was called) that set them back.  Now they're after one of the areas that hasn't seen Minelab's crush-hold -- the underwater and beach PI, with plans (hopes?) of riding that into an affordable, lightweight dry land PI.

I don't think it's fair to say all these companies have been resting on their laurels.

The other thing that, IMO, is misunderstood here is that we, the enthusiasts (fanatics?) of the metal detecting hobby/pasttime are not the majority of detector buyers and owners.  Just because we see what detector is best doesn't mean the casual buyer does or will.  How many of you have bought a detector at Wal-Mart?  Amazon?  Christmas is upcoming.  I wonder how many gift buyers are thinking "oh, I saw a cool thing at the store which would make a good gift for _____."  That buyer doesn't know Minelab from Minecraft.

• Like 1

Yup, you're right GB but I don't think we've been down this road before, this time is different... that's why I was saying a wise move for Nokta and Minelab would be to get their new fancy low end detectors into the big chain stores.  Minelab already are in Australia but they'd need to break into Walmart or where ever in the US and if a new potential buyer does a box to box comparison reading on the box what they want the Simpex and Vanquish sure look good compared to the competition, the Simplex especially but remember I keep comparing them to the high end detectors, compared to the actual range of detectors from the competition in the price range it's pretty laughable the offerings available to compete.

The Simplex on a box to box comparison by a general shopper at Walmart will blitz the competition for the novelty like features like it's vibrating handle, flash light, backlit screen, waterproof, wireless, looks like a mobile phone.. the list goes on.

The Fisher thing is a bit of an iffy one, they didn't do anything, just hired someone overseas that was doing something... mainly no doubt as they had nothing of their own.  I often wonder what their technical guys do all day, surely they must be doing something that's why I was hoping they'd surprise us someday soon with a detector that's not a fancy color F75 for the festive season with little Santa's painted on it or something, I wouldn't put it past them :laugh:

If Minelab thinks Fishers new detector is a threat they'll be working on something, they do have a lot of experience with PI's 🙂 It's probably such a small sector of the market that would buy it, it's not going to be a mass seller.   As much as we like to bag out how they operate their business by never listening to customers and making coils they're still good at other areas of the business like the most important one.... making detectors.

We can't complain about Nokta's business ethics and their detectors are top notch, they're a big threat for the others once they get settled into the US market.

The writings on the wall for these other manufacturers, I'm sure they know about it..... what they're going to do about it is the question.  With enough scouting and screaming they may get the message.

• Like 1

I think Minelab is making a mistake by not waterproofing the vanquish series.   Is the multi IQ enough to offset all the features of the simplex?  To a beginner detectorist in the market for a first machine, I think the Simplex wins on feature comparison.

Back in June my wife got very sick.  I ended up selling the EQ800.   I will be getting a simplex , as it will be a better fit in my budget, but it is the waterproof design that has won me over,  vs the Vanquish. 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:19 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

We are talking a waterproof detector with rechargeable battery and wireless built in for less money than I have paid for some detector coils!

....Get real. Look at what else you can get right now for under $300:

Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro $256

Garrett Ace 300 $254

Fisher F4 $299

Minelab X-Terra 305  $259

Teknetics Gamma 6000 $299

White’s Treasuremaster $279

When you put it that way, it looks like amateur hour for the competition :wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1