Simplex Price Is Already Low - What Will A Used Simplex Sell For?

We've been down this speculation road before.  My suspicion is that Garrett is concentrating on their strong suit -- security/industrial/military.  First Texas?  It seems something went wrong with their work on the super-CZ (or whatever it was called) that set them back.  Now they're after one of the areas that hasn't seen Minelab's crush-hold -- the underwater and beach PI, with plans (hopes?) of riding that into an affordable, lightweight dry land PI.

I don't think it's fair to say all these companies have been resting on their laurels.

The other thing that, IMO, is misunderstood here is that we, the enthusiasts (fanatics?) of the metal detecting hobby/pasttime are not the majority of detector buyers and owners.  Just because we see what detector is best doesn't mean the casual buyer does or will.  How many of you have bought a detector at Wal-Mart?  Amazon?  Christmas is upcoming.  I wonder how many gift buyers are thinking "oh, I saw a cool thing at the store which would make a good gift for _____."  That buyer doesn't know Minelab from Minecraft.

I think Minelab is making a mistake by not waterproofing the vanquish series.   Is the multi IQ enough to offset all the features of the simplex?  To a beginner detectorist in the market for a first machine, I think the Simplex wins on feature comparison.

Back in June my wife got very sick.  I ended up selling the EQ800.   I will be getting a simplex , as it will be a better fit in my budget, but it is the waterproof design that has won me over,  vs the Vanquish. 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:19 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

We are talking a waterproof detector with rechargeable battery and wireless built in for less money than I have paid for some detector coils!

....Get real. Look at what else you can get right now for under $300:

Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro $256

Garrett Ace 300 $254

Fisher F4 $299

Minelab X-Terra 305  $259

Teknetics Gamma 6000 $299

White’s Treasuremaster $279

When you put it that way, it looks like amateur hour for the competition :wink:

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I can answer this one.  I bought a used Simplex, with wireless headphones on Facebook marketplace.  I paid $220 US shipped.

I received it, updated to 2.77, and was ready to go.  I've only had it a couple of weeks and still learning the machine.

• Like 1

The Simplex will be Nokta/Makro's----Tesoro's famous cult status Compadre.

Popular, inexpensive-affordable, an excellent performer.

With a smaller coil the Simplex............................

• Like 2