How To Get A 7" X 10" Coil For Your Equinox

I have been lobbying for a mid-range elliptical coil for the Equinox for two years now, since it is the kind of coil lots of gold prospectors like to use. Minelab throws my suggestions in the trash bin when it comes to coils unfortunately. :sad:

Then the light bulb went off. The stock 11" coil for the Equinox sells for $229. I can get a 7" x 10" Multi-IQ coil for only $199 and a free metal detector to run it! It's called the Vanquish 340.

No, Vanquish coils will not work on the Equinox. That would make too much sense. But still, $199 for a coil with a free detector included is a pretty hard deal to beat, don't you think? :smile: I was kind of blowing Vanquish off but now I'm actually thinking a 340 might be a fun little machine to have around. It has to be sweet on the arm at 2.6 lbs with an S rod.

Just a thought.

minelab-vanquish-340-metal-detector.jpg
Minelab Vanquish 340 metal detector

Search Modes - Coin, Jewelry, All Metal
Custom User Search Profile - No
Operating Frequencies (kHz) - Multi-IQ
Noise Cancel - Auto (19 Channels)
Bluetooth Audio - No
Iron Bias - High
Sensitivity - 4 levels
Volume - 3 levels
Target Tones - 3 tones (Low, Mid, High)
Discrimination Segments - 5 segments
Target ID's - -9 to 40
Depth Indicator - 4 levels
Length - Extended: 1450 mm (57") Collapsed: 760 mm (30")
Weight (incl. batteries) - 2.6 lbs (1.2 kg)
Standard Coil - V10 10" x 7" Double-D
Audio Output - In-built loudspeaker, 3.5 mm (1/8") jack
Supplied Headphones - None
Display - Monochrome LCD
Supplied Batteries - 4 x AA Alkaline replaceable
Waterproof - Coil to 1 meter/3 feet
Operating Temperature Range -  -10°C to +40°C (+14°F to +104°F)
Storage Temperature Range -  -20°C to +70°C (-4°F to +158°F)
Key Technologies - Multi-IQ

Minelab Vanquish 340 Instruction Manual

Minelab Vanquish 340 Data & Specifications

Forum threads with "vanquish" tag

minelab-vanquish-340-lcd-display-controls.jpg
Minelab Vanquish 340 display and controls

• Like 6

Steve....I also thought about it .. since Vanquish uses something similar to the Typ1 programs on equinox ... ,, but one is certainly these coil sizes ... 10x7 ", 8x5" and 12x9 "are already in the world .. so nothing do not prevent Minelab from making these coils for Equinox.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I've suggested it so that means it will not happen. :laugh:

minelab-vanquish-search-coils.jpg

Probably not...lol

As posted on another forum, Debbie Smikoski a USA rep for Minelab, has responded via email to an Equinox user inquiring about V8 Equinox compatibility, that the V8 will definitely not be compatible with Equinox (he only asked about the V8).  She also went so far as to say that while ML was aware of the user interest in a coil of that form factor for Equinox, there were presently no concrete plans to provide such a coil for Equinox but did not rule it out for the future.  Soo, there you have it and I guess we'll see what happens.

All, I can say is, "I coulda had a V8!"   (Popular vegetable juice commercial humor)

12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I wonder how the Vanquish would go on small gold nuggets in all metal multi IQ with the 8x5".  I would assume quite well.

Maybe ML believes their animated cartoon about Multi IQ and believes that Multi IQ will solve world hunger and can find ALL targets regardless of size or composition so it really doesn't matter what size coil you use.  Lol.

In all seriousness though, I suspect the Equinox with the 6" round would do just about as good as the Vanquish 540 with the V8 on small gold, but it would nice to have the 8" swing coverage of the V8.  So yeah, the Vanquish should be no slouch on small gold with that coil.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

She also went so far as to say that while ML was aware of the user interest in a coil of that form factor for Equinox, there were presently no concrete plans to provide such a coil for Equinox but did not rule it out for the future

Sounds like “go fish” to me! :laugh:

Something about the way Minelab does coils must make it a low or no profit item for them. What else explains the absolute lack of interest in supplying anything more than the absolute minimum in coil selection? We know Equinox is wildly popular, so having more coils to sell people would appear to be a no-brainer. Usually the main expense in new coils is designing new molds. Once that is done it would make sense to use those molds for as many detector models as possible. Yet Minelab does not do it. There is some missing part to this equation. I’ve heard “only so many engineers”. Really? Can’t hire one? It all boils down to, if Nokta/Makro or Russians in garages can pop out coils like candy, why can’t the world leader in detector technology?

Since everything boils down to profits, coils must not be a money maker for Minelab. That’s all I can come up with.

• Like 6

There is another theory about Minelab and coils that I used to think was silly. Now I am not so sure. It basically states that Minelab makes machines that are unique and distinct. There is almost no sharing of accessories between various models, and in fact the various models have a very unique look and feel. Almost like six different companies making detectors.

B6FB1320-B5BC-4E24-8654-B57688A0243C.jpeg

It could therefore be policy to keep model series very distinct and different, and to never let one model undermine another. No accessory sharing. Three different WM wireless modules for three different detectors. An accident? I don’t think so.

That explains why no small coil for the GPZ 7000. It might undermine SDC 2300 sales. A small coil for the GPZ makes it as good or better than the SDC on tiny gold. So don’t do that.

Conversely, don’t let the SDC use larger coils. That might undermine GPX sales.

A properly designed elliptical coil for the Equinox 800 would make it slam dunk better than a Gold Monster 1000. So don’t do that.

Equinox has three coils of different size and shape than Vanquish, and vice versa. Don’t make round coils for Vanquish, and don’t make smaller ellipticals for Equinox.

There are starting to be enough examples of this I am actually starting to think it’s true. Minelab is not interested in selling coils, they want to sell complete detectors, and limiting coils is a strategy for doing that. Even if it’s not true, it’s a great conspiracy theory because it matches reality pretty well. :smile:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The power of suggestion👎 vs. The power of the bottom line👍  We all know what wins out!💰💰💰

• Like 2

I may have to have a friend x-ray my stock coil and check out the pin out of the connector.

That way I can make something close to what you are talking about.

The connectors I can get through one of my suppliers and I have made several coils in the past.

I will let you know what I can get done in the near future on this.

• Like 4