How To Get A 7" X 10" Coil For Your Equinox

14 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It all boils down to, if Nokta/Makro or Russians in garages can pop out coils like candy, why can’t the world leader in detector technology?

Since everything boils down to profits, coils must not be a money maker for Minelab. That’s all I can come up with.

Still doesn't add up.  Eastern Europeans not only make good coils, they sell them cheaper than the manufacturers.  Labor costs?  Well, Minelab already builds at least some of their detectors (e.g. Equinox) in Southeast Asia.

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

As a consumer it sucks, as a business model it's exceptional.

Only as long as we rats submissively follow the Pied Piper.

• Like 1

DD 7x10 would be the best compromise, it would further balance and not lose the comparison with the 11 ".

I really hope Minelab will listen to us and understand.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Still doesn't add up.  Eastern Europeans not only make good coils, they sell them cheaper than the manufacturers.  Labor costs?  Well, Minelab already builds at least some of their detectors (e.g. Equinox) in Southeast Asia.

Only as long as we rats submissively follow the Pied Piper.

I’m not saying you can’t make money selling coils, just not enough for Minelab to care about doing it. Holding higher margins on machines is more important to them then picking up pennies selling coils.

But I could be wrong of course, it’s all just speculation. :smile:

I don't think,  they have an internal interface card, I don't think we can replicate.

3 hours ago, Smithobx said:

With the popularity of the Equinox series, do you not think there will be third party (aftermarket) coils available eventually?

Minelab has not authorized aftermarket coils on any detector since the CTX 3030. Not for the SDC 2300, GPZ 7000, or Gold Monster. The Coiltek coils for the SDC appear to be an unauthorized suprise that caught Minelab off guard, made possible by the lack of protective chip in the coil. They assumed the way the machine was designed was enough to preclude aftermarket coils. The history is not looking good for Equinox in that regard.

It would be nice to get a positive surprise but I’m not holding my breath at this point. Minelab seems now to put out a machine with two or three coils, and then move on to the next machine they are working on. SDC 2300, one coil, done. GPZ 7000, two coils, done. Gold Monster, two coils, done. Maybe it’s Equinox, three coils done. Then Vanquish, three coils, done. Then on to whatever comes next.

Aftermarket seems to boil down to, if there is not a direct buck in it for Minelab for each coil sold, they want to block it.

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

I am darn near certain you're correct Steve and I've had the same feeling for some time now, they don't like to tread on the toes of their other detectors.  As a consumer it sucks, as a business model it's exceptional.  It's why we all end up with a cupboard full of detectors.

It is this Apple-like walled garden approach to accessories and partitioned-off product lines that is driving me to ML’s competition in certain situations.  For example, I would have gladly bought a V 340/440 or a V 540 Pro if that was the only way ML would have allowed me to get my hands on a V8, V10, or V12 coil provided they were compatible with Equinox.  I could have justified the unneeded detector purchase based on the fairly low overall cost and could have relegated it to backup or newbie training duty.  

Without that coil compatibility incentive, I have absolutely no interest in Vanquish, otherwise.  Simplex looks attractive to me because it is inexpensive, high value (high performance to cost ratio), is technically diverse from Equinox and Deus (my main units) so I can see scenarios where it could detect something my other units might miss, has compatibility with the Nokta accessory universe (wireless headphones and the Pulse Dive pinpointer), and I know Nokta is listening to its existing and prospective customers in regards to desired features and accessories.  

ML had an opportunity to make a sale on a detector that was quite literally useless to me and has missed its opportunity through close mindedness, arrogance, and/or greed or whatever.  That is a potentially fatal flaw that will not necessarily be always overcome by fielding superior tech and innovation.  

If ML is going to go down the “we know better than you route”, they better keep innovating or they risk Nokta doing to them what Nokta and ML are about to do to Garrett.

• Like 3