How To Get A 7" X 10" Coil For Your Equinox

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Minelab by blocking these aftermarket manufacturers while not intending to do coils of their own is doing their own brand more damage than good....

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm not impressed at all with Minelabs treatment of it's customers in relation to allowing them to have coil options....

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

ML had an opportunity to make a sale on a detector that was quite literally useless to me and has missed its opportunity through close mindedness, arrogance, and/or greed or whatever.  That is a potentially fatal flaw that will not necessarily be always overcome by fielding superior tech and innovation.  

If ML is going to go down the “we know better than you route”, they better keep innovating....

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It is this Apple-like walled garden approach to accessories and partitioned-off product lines that is driving me to ML’s competition in certain situations.

You guys are saying what I've been thinking.  There's an old saying "don't cut off your nose to spite your face", but there's also self respect involved.  I don't like dealing with companies that treat their customers like pawns.  I also don't like companies mistreating my friends, and that's what I consider most of you here.  What they did to their GPZ7000 customers is particularly disgusting.  McDonalds had Minelab's attitude (we'll do things our way and convince you with advertising that it's what you want), and, as Chase mentioned, so has Apple.  I quit going to McDonalds when I got out of college (1976).  I bought an Apple II Plus in 1981.  Haven't been back since.  As you can see my lack of support hasn't hurt those two giants, but it does make me feel better about myself.  And I've done just fine with fast food and computers, so no need feel sorry for me.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably will pick up a 340 to keep in the van.  For $200 it’s definitely worth the gamble having the Multi-IQ DNA.    

On a side note, I probably will get a 6” for the EQX at some point for hunting thick overgrown spots (or a small elliptical if one appears) but the EQX is the first machine I’ve had for more than 6 months that I didn’t get a smaller coil for.  The 11” in conjunction with the Multi IQ is plenty good at separating goodies from the trash for me!!

• Like 1

Probably no middle Equinox coils till they sell enough Vanquish detectors. 

11 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Well Minelab once again won the battle in my noggin, I ordered a Vanquish 540 Pro Pack.  I couldn't let that 8x5" coil go as it's the only one I wanted and I am betting as an accessory coil it'll cost a lot more than getting it this way.  It even comes with a free Vanquish T-shirt, short or long Sleeve.

I'll still need to get a Simplex to compare them as I don't want to die wondering.  😀  addicted.

I'm going to have to kick the Go-Find off my little sidebar to the left to fit the Vanquish, worst item gets the boot.

<----- bye bye Go-Find.

Any progress on the simplex situation? I want you to get one too. I get to benefit from your addiction without spending or doing anything. It's a nice situation for me.

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yes, Dilek has offered to ship one to me direct from the factory for the RRP + Shipping, and Phase Technical has offered to do the same from OZ.  It's cheapest to get it off Phase Tech due to the shipping cost from Turkey to NZ.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a new legit dealer in NZ by next year now that you've brought the situation to her attention. Well done all around. 

16 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It is this Apple-like walled garden approach to accessories and partitioned-off product lines that is driving me to ML’s competition in certain situations.  For example, I would have gladly bought a V 340/440 or a V 540 Pro if that was the only way ML would have allowed me to get my hands on a V8, V10, or V12 coil provided they were compatible with Equinox.  I could have justified the unneeded detector purchase based on the fairly low overall cost and could have relegated it to backup or newbie training duty.  

Without that coil compatibility incentive, I have absolutely no interest in Vanquish, otherwise.  Simplex looks attractive to me because it is inexpensive, high value (high performance to cost ratio), is technically diverse from Equinox and Deus (my main units) so I can see scenarios where it could detect something my other units might miss, has compatibility with the Nokta accessory universe (wireless headphones and the Pulse Dive pinpointer), and I know Nokta is listening to its existing and prospective customers in regards to desired features and accessories.  

ML had an opportunity to make a sale on a detector that was quite literally useless to me and has missed its opportunity through close mindedness, arrogance, and/or greed or whatever.  That is a potentially fatal flaw that will not necessarily be always overcome by fielding superior tech and innovation.  

If ML is going to go down the “we know better than you route”, they better keep innovating or they risk Nokta doing to them what Nokta and ML are about to do to Garrett.

Totally agree, I have absolutely zero interest in the Vanquish.  The Simplex however meets my needs and expectations. 

I was near a friend of mine who is a animal Vet and paid him a little visit.

He was able to X-ray my coil with his digital x-ray machine, and it looks like some type of semi-conductor in the coil mold.

Until I can figure out what it is I will not even begin to make a coil that will come close to what some are looking for.

I have a coil winder for motors that I have used in the past, but without knowing what  the semi-conductor is I would not know where to begin.

Does anyone know what this semi-conductor is and what it's function is.

Knowing that information would be a great help to me.

I think at the moment the best, is simply to modify the original Coil from Equinox to another shape, the size of the Coil.. for example, 6 "Coil to 5x7" or 4x8 "or similar ..

On 10/25/2019 at 11:56 PM, 2Valen said:

I was near a friend of mine who is a animal Vet and paid him a little visit.

He was able to X-ray my coil with his digital x-ray machine, and it looks like some type of semi-conductor in the coil mold.

Until I can figure out what it is I will not even begin to make a coil that will come close to what some are looking for.

I have a coil winder for motors that I have used in the past, but without knowing what  the semi-conductor is I would not know where to begin.

Does anyone know what this semi-conductor is and what it's function is.

Knowing that information would be a great help to me.

The chip enables the detector to confirm you have a compatble coil connected.  ML makes a 6" round coil for the CTX too.  They look similar and both can be connected to the detector, but if you hook the the incompatible CTX coil to the Equinox you will get an error code and the detector will not even boot into it's operational mode to let you attempt to use it.  So a third party could conceivably make a perfectly electrically compatible coil for Equinox, but without that smart chip, the Equinox will throw an error code and not allow that coil to be used with the detector.

• Like 2