Equinox Tid And Gold Rings

Jackpine

Over the years I found my share of gold rings mostly consisting of mens bands so I have a good idea of the TID range they will hit based on size, weight, thickness (cross section) and width.  Compared to every other TID machine I have used the Equinox is an outlier.  Rings that should hit in the Nickel range hit in the upper tab range,  Medium size bands hit zinc penny where with other machines that would be a lunker Class ring or large heavy high karat gold band. 

14K gold is not a high conductive target, Alloyed gold such as 14K is actually lower in conductivity than either of the constituent metals of gold and copper.  Do these high readings have something to do with Multi-IQ?  It's real and is consistent across every ring I have found.  I don't understand what aspect of the Nox causes this.  Rings are the perfect shape for generating eddy currents and so are generally easy targets for a metal detector but what is going on here with the Nox? I am at a loss to explain it.

The ones I’ve found with the EQX and others previously found with other machines all test consistently from machine to machine in my experience.  

These 3 are 10K and were found with the EQX and IDed as 9, 15, and 19 from top to bottom. 

693A0D9C-773B-4152-A5A2-2D2D46E5F1A2.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Compared to every other TID machine I have used....

You have me intrigued because I wonder how different detectors calibrate to different targets.  Could you be more specific about which 'other TID machine(s)' you're referring to?

I’ll run a bunch of rings past my V3i and Equinox tomorrow and compile the results. Relative positioning compared to a nickel and a zinc penny should be the same, and if not that would be good to know.

What firmware version, modes, and tweaks like iron bias are we talking about Tom? That might matter.

• Like 1

My first time out with the EQ800 I bagged an 18K gold ring loaded with rubies, sapphires and emeralds, it came in as a solid 14, thought for sure I was going to dig a nickel.  It as my 4-5th target on my first hunt :)

• Like 3

This 18k gold ring came in at 13 and so did the gold buddha pendant.

20181224_113601.jpg

• Like 1

Helped find a friend's 14K gold band today.  Solid 12 in Park 1.  My 14K white gold band rings up a solid 11 in Park 1.