Equinox Tid And Gold Rings

Jackpine

I recovered my hunting buddy's wedding band massive 4.5 grams red/champagne colored gold I believe it was 22K and it rang in at a solid 14 in Flield 1 recovery 6 iron4 - I will not forget....this ring was lost for almost 1.5 years and myself and other people tried to find it with different machines. As there is lots of trash in the area no one was able to locate it. When I got my Nox 800 the second time out on the pasture I found 'em. My Nox rocks!!!!!!!! Big time!!!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, did you post the ring test some other place?

Tom never responded with his settings so I kind of forgot about it. Maybe this week.

It’s nice to see see isolated ring results but the original question was whether or not Equinox is skewing ring results higher than is normal for other detectors. In other words, does a ring that reads below nickel on other detectors read over nickel with Equinox? Or a ring that reads under zinc penny on other detectors read over zinc penny with Equinox? The isolated ring results are not answering the question, the has to be a comparison to other detectors involved.

Steve its not that they are being upscaled...... its more that they raise an eyebrow by falling into a digit least expected..... both high and low based on what one expected ...... size and K.   BUT most still fall in those ring digits of 1 to 23ish.

Considering I must be the only LOSER out there who hasn’t found a gold ring yet, this thread was helpful. Reminded me the tid’s are all over the place for them! Are gold rings usually a pretty solid hit, or do they sometimes bounce between a couple numbers? Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm also a gold ring virgin, but from YouTube I can tell you that when rings are resized it creates basically a solder joint that often breaks. If that happens the ring is no longer an continuous circle of metal and can be scratchy and all over number wise. If its solid its stable. Just another nice little quirk to make us dig more junk 🙂

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The isolated ring results are not answering the question, the has to be a comparison to other detectors involved.

I meant to convey multiple detector readings in my post but I guess I didn’t get that in there.  That being said the gold I’ve found with the EQX and gold previously found with other machines all register in the same areas of conductivity when compared between an EQX, a MakroMK , and a Tesoro.  The only high IDs I’ve experienced with the EQX involved multiple targets in the hole.  In the couple instances that happened it seemed to be higher ID one direction vs the other but was pretty apparent that there may be multiple targets.  It would be interesting to know what combination of ground mineralization or GB setting that have him experiencing the high IDs. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, Noah (FL) said:

I meant to convey multiple detector readings in my post but I guess I didn’t get that in there.  That being said the gold I’ve found with the EQX and gold previously found with other machines all register in the same areas of conductivity when compared between an EQX, a MakroMK , and a Tesoro.  The only high IDs I’ve experienced with the EQX involved multiple targets in the hole.  In the couple instances that happened it seemed to be higher ID one direction vs the other but was pretty apparent that there may be multiple targets.  It would be interesting to know what combination of ground mineralization or GB setting that have him experiencing the high IDs. 

Sorry I did not acknowledge your post. I was referring to the other "this ring read X posts". Yes, you indicate the readings fall where you would expect as on other machines. I just wanted to back that up as a second opinion. 

Rings sometime surprise but at the end of the day it's just the typical size and composition equation as applies to other items, helped by that magic hole in the middle. The one thing not all people realize is silver is a much better conductor than gold. The use of gold in electronics leads some to believe otherwise. That's for corrosion resistance, not conductivity. And then the other weird factor is adding silver to pure gold. You would assume adding a higher conductor like silver to gold would increase the conductivity of the resulting alloy. It is just the opposite. Due to the way atoms align pure metal conducts far better than alloys, so when you add silver to pure gold the conductivity drops dramatically. I've got a rare chart someplace that shows it... kind of stunning. Anyway, that way low karat gold reads much lower than high karat gold, white gold the worst. and why natural gold nuggets, not pure and irregular in shape, are the hardest of all, reading so low they will run into the ferrous and ground range readings quite easily. Same with micro jewelry.

I'll try and find that chart and post, it's buried someplace on my hard drive.

In theory an identical ring made of different alloys will have the low karat alloys reading lowest, higher karat higher, pure gold higher yet, and then silver above that.

Then you have the issue of basic size. All things otherwise being equal, larger heavier rings read higher than smaller rings with less mass. That’s where it generally goes nuts. Take the basics I just described above and add endless size variation and you get small silver rings reading lower than large pure gold rings, etc.

Roundness itself does matter. In the U.K. I dug a ton of 1 - 10 targets, lead and tiny brass bits mostly. I learned that anything round got a substantial boost in target id reading over a similar oddball shaped item. So much so that stuff reading 1 - 6 was either irregular shaped or very tiny round, like birdshot. Anything even halfway larger and round boosted up above 6, and I finally created a cherry pick mode to eliminate digging the vast amounts of tiny hard to recover non-ferrous prevalent in some areas. I had no worries about missing even a tiny round gold Celtic coin, as even the lowest grade example I could find read 7, with most much higher than that.

Some tiny stuff does read surprisingly high at time, especially some small brass items.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Steve its not that they are being upscaled...... its more that they raise an eyebrow by falling into a digit least expected..... both high and low based on what one expected ...... size and K.   BUT most still fall in those ring digits of 1 to 23ish.

Yeah, all detectors do that. The question is Equinox doing it MORE than other detectors. That is how I was reading the original post.

Tom said "Compared to every other TID machine I have used the Equinox is an outlier.  Rings that should hit in the Nickel range hit in the upper tab range,  Medium size bands hit zinc penny where with other machines that would be a lunker Class ring or large heavy high karat gold band."

Tom says yes. Noah (FL) says no.

Since Tom has provided no more information of settings or ground conditions I will just do some stock air tests and post soon comparing to V3i. White's is sort of a standard as they had a lot to do with determining some of the original target id data way back when.

• Like 3