X Coils In Rye Patch

Chet

23 hours ago, Chet said:

I just got back from Rye Patch, Nevada; found 14 small nuggets; 6.2 grams total.

I found nuggets with all three of my X-Coils; 10” round bunch wound; 17” round spiral wound; and 17”x 12” elliptical spiral wound.

I have attached a chart that is compiled from testing of the 10” round and the 17” round coils as compared to the Minelab GPZ 14 coil. The testing was accomplished in a Rye Patch gully by placing a two foot PVC pipe into a freshly dug hole. Gold nuggets of various sizes were lowered in a medicine bottle by a cloth measuring tape. 

This test was for my own relative comparisons; so those that want to critique the methodology feel free to do it another way. Two obvious depth improvements would be gained by increasing the Threshold setting and using headphones to listen for barely perceived target responses.         

The 10” is very sensitive but noisy. When roaming across the desert it has me swinging back over false targets much of the time. But it works quite well to slow down and get into small openings between the sage brush and close to bedrock in narrow gullies.

Nice haul, Chet!   I have to agree that the 10" round cannot be justified financially, but it sure is good for putting the tiny ones in your pocket when you're a little low on the gold.

I found both of my 10" coils to be very sensitive.  My latest one is REAL bump sensitive and gives the same noise like when lightning strikes, whenever I bump a rock.  This was found on the same ground that I ran my first 10" coil on.  My first coil was smooth and silent without any bump sensitivity.  But that is just how it rolls with coils sometimes.  Frustrating but you deal with.  The manufacturer already corrected the stretched coil issue and I will just be content with that and ensuring I do not bump rocks.  As long as I can find gold with it, I will use it. 

Either way, I am happy for another coil choice.

• Like 1

Chet,

I must say I have issue with your test. It lacks a very important aspect, my presence lol ! After I helped fix your tire and we shared taco bell. By man/bro law we are like brothers now 🤣😅😁. I guess I will have to stick with hanging with Brian.

Nice test, did you put dirt in the pipe? Just wondering. Nice finds. We need to set up a swing date before the season closes.

• Like 1

Steve

I only put dirt in to fill the hole when I pulled the pipe out.

Rye Patch is so hard on tires; lost another one this trip; lost a lot of gold buying tires in Winnemucca; lost a day of detecting; just call me a loser lol😀.

Rye Patch temperatures are hit and miss for a while now.

Have a good day,
Chet 

• Haha 1

Chet,  Good to see you again and able to hunt side by side and compare signals.  Your site we went at produced 2 pieces of gold and both stock coil and X coils heard them.  My site we visited produced 3 nuggets and both coils heard them.  But you were the guy who found the majority of targets, so I give a thumbs up to you.  I like the lighter weight of the X coils, I like the size options of the X coils.  One 1 thing that I was not impressed with was the smaller 10" round coil was so noisy...I feel you have a bad one.  If all small 10" X coils have the same characters, I'll pass on that one...just to much wasted time double checking every other swing.

Having the chance to swing the coils and get an idea of feel, sounds and comparison was very informative and I appreciate you allowing me to take up some of your time.  Glad we were able to meet up and catch up with old times.

Thanks again for the opportunity and glad you found more gold.  Your report is quite impressive as well.

• Like 4

On 10/26/2019 at 6:03 PM, Chet said:

I have attached a chart that is compiled from testing of the 10” round and the 17” round coils as compared to the Minelab GPZ 14 coil. The testing was accomplished in a Rye Patch gully by placing a two foot PVC pipe into a freshly dug hole. Gold nuggets of various sizes were lowered in a medicine bottle by a cloth measuring tape.

I'm really impressed with your setup, thorough testing, and display of the results.  The crossover at 2 grams (all three curves) is interesting to me, although maybe you or others can explain why that happens if in fact it's not some random coincidence.  I don't have a GPZ nor expect to ever get one, but I still appreciate what you've done.

• Like 1

Hi GB_Amateur

The detector applies the same pulse power to the coil regardless of the coil size.

In a small diameter coil most of the magnetic lines of force that are created from that pulse are confined to a small focused near field. At far field the lines of force are spread and not focused.

In a large diameter coil the magnetic lines of force are spread over a larger area at near field. But at far field they are denser than what is possible from a small coil at that distance.

So the rule of thumb is; small nuggets are found with small focused coils at shallow depths. Larger nuggets are found with larger coils at deeper depths.

So the chart shows how the 10” X Coil performs very well on small nuggets as expected until its near field loses to the larger coils far field advantage at deeper depths on larger nuggets. That point is where the 10" coil data crossover occurs in the chart.

Many GPZ 7000 owners have desired a smaller coil for smaller nuggets at reasonable depths. Although this 10” X Coil is noisy it is still a useful tool in the pursuit of small nuggets. The chart also shows that the Spiral Wound 17” X Coil has a small depth advantage and more ground coverage when compared with the GPZ 14 coil. 

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1