Orx Short Hunt = Silver

I went back to the place where I found a silver rosie, merc, and quarter.

Today I found a 1964 Rosie. Was down 7.5 inches and the ORX hit it. This is the first silver the ORX has gotten for me. Audio was faint and registered on the ID as 96. I also found 2 1990's nickels, an unreadable clad dime, a penny, decaying rifle cartridge, a button of some sort, and lots of aluminum pieces not shown in photo.  While detecting I noticed the mineralization scale on the ORX was going up sometimes 6 bars, and varied a lot. Tough site with iron too. It's amazing to me how silver coins for the most part clean up really nice. I simply used some baking soda on this one with a drop or two of water and rubbed it between my fingers.

Happy Hunting

finds1.jpg

• Like 7

The baking soda works on lot of silver coins. I found after washing off the baking soda a soft rub with a pencil rubber is all I use on most silver coins eg 92.5%, 80% and 50% Australian silver coins.

6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

The baking soda works on lot of silver coins. I found after washing off the baking soda a soft rub with a pencil rubber is all I use on most silver coins eg 92.5%, 80% and 50% Australian silver coins.

Hmm, never heard the pencil eraser trick. Sounds interesting.

I tried to clean the 1944 silver war nickel last night using just baking soda and that was a no-go. Since it is only 35% silver it is a bit more difficult. I did get it cleaned but used more severe means to clean it (Electrolysis) and topped it off with some iosso polish. Will snap a picture and post it. It was horribly grimy before the severe cleaning I used. Was the only way. It had nicks and scratches on it before the process so it is not a particularly handsome specimen. It looks pretty good now compared to how bad it was upon recovery though.

1944nickel_2.jpg

1944nickel.jpg

• Like 2

Now nickels is another story.

The top is a Shield Nickel .

The next is V Nickels.

The ones below that is all Buffalo Nickels. You can see old Nickels don’t fair too well.

Chuck 

1F1EEECA-10DE-4C82-A131-5FA3C25F2211.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

RobNC

That’s the great thing about silver most of the time it comes out of the ground looking like new.

Chuck 

07FBE6E6-4A16-4907-83E0-578BE994783B.jpeg

Truly beautiful coins here. It is a real shame they stopped making them like this. Thanks for posting. I'd enjoy finding those.

18 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Now nickels is another story.

The top is a Shield Nickel .

The next is V Nickels.

The ones below that is all Buffalo Nickels. You can see old Nickels don’t fair too well.

Chuck 

1F1EEECA-10DE-4C82-A131-5FA3C25F2211.jpeg

it's really nice to see these nickels. I have yet to find a buffalo nickel or V nickel. Thank you for showing these.

RobNC

I’ve sold silver two times over the years when the price was up . I don’t have a lot of silver anymore but I have the memory of finding it.

I may been detecting longer than you are old . That being over fifty years. I guess you could say I cheated being I didn’t wait on you. The year I started detecting was the first year they stopped the silver coins.

The Indian Head penny I like and I’ve found a fair amount but here is some. The Flying cent I’ve yet to find.

42DC3829-85A2-4BAC-933B-08934C7887FF.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I found a buffalo nickel here once, it was at the lakefront in the fine gravel sands, it came out of the water looking near new.  I'm not sure what I've done with it, lost it I guess..  I wasn't collecting any coins at the time and put it somewhere.  Managed to find the story and photo of it on the forum though 🙂

20181025_200207.jpg

As I understand it the ORX is selectable frequency? Out of interest what frequency were you running to find the silver?

These coins look good also, they look majestic compared to our coins. I really enjoy seeing these coins, thank you.

I was using the ORX in Coin Fast mode with 10 disc. 13.6khz frequency. Iron volume off. 80 Sensitivity.

3 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

RobNC

I’ve sold silver two times over the years when the price was up . I don’t have a lot of silver anymore but I have the memory of finding it.

I may been detecting longer than you are old . That being over fifty years. I guess you could say I cheated being I didn’t wait on you. The year I started detecting was the first year they stopped the silver coins.

The Indian Head penny I like and I’ve found a fair amount but here is some. The Flying cent I’ve yet to find.

42DC3829-85A2-4BAC-933B-08934C7887FF.jpeg

I can only imagine what it was like before all this junk was in the ground(can slaw, pull tabs, other garbage). I was born in 1971. So you have a jump on me quite a bit.

• Like 1