X Coil Cable Modification

Chet

Great tutorial Simon! Another how-to to add to the detecting scrap book! Keep up the good work! I love solid, well thought out, Macgyvering!👍👍

Simon and Chet,

When I got my adapter made I chose the original method just preferring to have a joint farther 'away' to prevent any possible interference.  As I was watching Simon's presentation I was remembering what Chet said.  The coil didn't act like there was interference from that joint but I kinda wondered why.  I know there is none because I've seen Chet use his.

Simon has eliminated the wobble and taken that out of the equation.  So why would the coil 'ignore' the joint in favor of a nugget which could be deeper?  The joint is MOVING WITH THE COIL!  The coil tunes itself with the wires that attach it just like every other detector with the exception of the XP.  The nuggets/targets are not moving.

When I had my shop make the adapter he was not much concerned with the adapter part itself but he later became concerned with the curl on the 19" coil.  I'm not overly concerned with it because I don't plan on using it but I want it useable.

I have another event to add to this.  I went on an Arizona prospecting trip a few months back.  It was to the Franconia area.  On that trip the first day I was there I went to catch up with my friend and we decided to move locations.  I got in my 4Runner and made it to the main road a little bit before him.  He stopped and waved me over to where I had parked.  He picked up my detector!  What?  I thought it was inside but my long overnight drive had me not thinking.

I had run over my 7000 and it broke down on the lower shaft where Simon was taking it apart to change coils. (You'll need some to change quickly.)  Luckily it did not affect the detector or the Xcoil I had on it.  I had the 19" with me so I changed the lower shaft and it has worked find ever since.  The adapter was not damaged in the process.  I've since bought a lower shaft from Gerry (under $100) and I'm fine.

It could have been so much worse with the tire running over EVERYTHING.  I don't need to find any gold this year and I'm still ahead of the game.

Mitchel

• Like 2

So, you are saying that 24.5 inches exceeds the coil's sensitivity?  Even a 2 lb nugget?  haha  Well, I know what you mean.  The best measure would be to just take a connector and wave it over the coil.

But also for 'reference' the connecting cables to coils are invisible.  They must become part of the field.

So Phrunt when do you want to start making these for folks and charging for the service?  It’s probably the most professional looking plug I have seen so far. Granted I have not seen that many, just on the forums.

This is an excerpt from one of my previous posts;

It is reasonable to be concerned about interference from the two connectors being located so close to the coil. This is not a problem since the detector only detects motion change relative to the coil.

A simple experiment will demonstrate how the detector nulls out metal that is not changing position relative to the coil.

Place a small test target (0.06g) on the ground with an aluminum soda or beer can about 2 feet from it. Swing the detector over the small test target. You will only hear the response from the large can.

Now tape the can on top of the detector shaft 2 feet from the center of the coil. Now swing the coil over the test target and it will be detected.

With the can attached the detector it will sound off as you lift and lower the detector to the ground since the coil is remaining flat while the shaft and can are changing position relative to the coil.

In normal detecting when setting the detector down or lifting it I hear this sound-off with the 17” x 12” coil but not with the 10” or the 17” round coils.

There is no effect during normal detecting since the coil is not tilting or changing position relative to the shaft.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitchel

Running over the detector and breaking the lower shaft says a lot about how well the Russian coil is built. It was supporting a huge weight from a loaded vehicle. 

Have a good day,
Chet

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Mitchel

Running over the detector and breaking the lower shaft says a lot about how well the Russian coil is built. It was supporting a huge weight from a loaded vehicle. 

Have a good day,
Chet

Chet,

I had no 'evidence' that I had run over the coil but somehow just one tire on the turn missed it and the detector.  It broke the lower shaft and did not affect the upper carbon fiber shaft of the detector or scratch it.  My friend had already picked it up before I could see it on the ground and see my tire tracks.  

I had come back and propped it and my long pick up against the back 'blind' corner of the car (or laid it down on the ground near the back corner).  That part of the accident I don't recall clearly.  The way I remember moving from my parking spot included a backup and then a wide turn.  I was on relatively soft dirt south and east of the Lake Havasu Gold Seekers camp.  Even with that description the 'pressure' on the connecting shaft had to be great even without running over the coil fully under the tire.  I do remember (still remember) a crunch (could have been a rock I thought).  Now perhaps I think it was just one back tire that caused the breakage.  I stopped backing up and pulled forward when I heard the crunch.  I had to backup to avoid a bush in front of me.  I didn't look in the back to see if the detector and pick were inside with me.  I didn't realize that until my friend picked it up.  

I had glue with me that I could have fixed it but a couple of the pieces were lost from around the clamp.  Luckily for the design of the 7000 the lower shaft has the weakest (brittle) material in the shaft.  The Xcoil is stronger than that part.  I have proven it.

Please, please as a caution to others ... you don't need to try this test.  I've already done it.  🤣

Mitchel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I change coils a lot so I really like mine Chet style where as you can see I can do a coil change in 20 to 30 seconds.

You have to have a lower shaft for each coil, right?

When you change coils do you keep settings or go through a new setup?