First Hunt In The South, Meteorites? + 2 More

I’ve looked at them closer and ground windows into them just for a better look at the structure and no doubt in my mind I’ve found a couple of very fine extremely common earth rocks. I’m learning ... slowly. 

Thanks for the help and tips and until my next great find may it be more of a challenge, really they should be getting closer with each try right, lol???

• Like 5

I have detected many that share the "looks" and magnetic qualities (some weak some strong) of the ones you posted, while at the basin over the last 14 years Sir.
I would back up the opinion of "sorry" don't think so by the photos alone.
I also say this on the basis of having detected and handled many pounds of the actual space turds. 
Perserverance and Hapy Huntn
Frank C.

APRIL 014.jpg

• Like 2

Frank is an expert out there in the basin and most other places.  I wish I knew you were out there because I was there Tuesday and Wednesday.  I stayed in Kingman because it was just too cold.

I did find a couple of small meteorites.

Thursday I went to Franconia and got 10 little irons.

Next trip I'll get together with you and you can show me where the gold is!  haha

It seems that it is still where most people have found it and it takes a new 'attitude' to find what is left.

Mitchel

• Like 1

{

44 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Ken,

Frank is an expert out there in the basin and most other places.  I wish I knew you were out there because I was there Tuesday and Wednesday.  I stayed in Kingman because it was just too cold.

I did find a couple of small meteorites.

Thursday I went to Franconia and got 10 little irons.

Next trip I'll get together with you and you can show me where the gold is!  haha

It seems that it is still where most people have found it and it takes a new 'attitude' to find what is left.

Mitchel

Sounds like a plan I’ve yet to find any space rocks so far I’ve just found rocks that are taking up space. I sent in an application to GSSN last week and I’ll probably go to their meeting on the 6th to introduce myself and check thing out. I was doing a little research on GPAA but I’m seeing a mix of reviews so I think I need a little more research before buying in.

Well, much gold has been found on that GPAA set of claims.  With your skills I'm sure you will find more.

Another group to consider (I am right now) is MPA out of Kingman.  They are the 'forgotten' big claim holders of the basin.  I don't know how many people jump them but I don't see people on their claims when I'm there.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:25 PM, mn90403 said:

Well, much gold has been found on that GPAA set of claims.  With your skills I'm sure you will find more.

Another group to consider (I am right now) is MPA out of Kingman.  They are the 'forgotten' big claim holders of the basin.  I don't know how many people jump them but I don't see people on their claims when I'm there.

A big thanks, I’ll be joining them too.

i probably need a new thread for these but my success ratio on meteor finds has been 0% so first I’ll post my latest mineral pocket hitch hikers from Pahrump area here, no quartz that I can see and they stick like glue to a magnet, not iron scrap but I have no idea...???

6CE151C1-405B-4105-8FB7-9728D28D6AD4.thumb.jpeg.fd6755d77b9b0b97553f73d5b1a8b46e.jpeg

C0055E49-740F-4F38-9209-58E785B8FFD9.thumb.jpeg.ef4700d0cd46ad0ce6fed62641b30186.jpeg

EBC61469-5253-427A-A7BF-BBC5F4A6AA2A.thumb.jpeg.7229e8f0b1dd89752cc70d5de2b55a7a.jpeg

2C50A20F-C568-49F5-89E5-8849FB56195A.thumb.jpeg.5631ffa8676cbe63cdb86befa8e4287a.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok, the look is 'good' with the bit of reddishness but you mentioned something that probably just makes it a hot rock.  You said it 'stick like glue' to the magnet.  Meteorites that we find other than the irons in Franconia typically have about half the pull of 'stick like glue.'  The other thing you mentioned is Pahrump and probably on the GSSN claims.  That is not really known for any meteorites.  I could be wrong an you could look at metbull and see a map of known meteorites but Gold Basin and Franconia are the best bets to target unless you go to dry lake beds.  

That is a different subject but now that you are in Vegas I'm sure you'll be able to get in on some hunts where gold is not the primary target and meteorites are.  I'll let you know when I hear about one of those hunts.

We might be visited by Dolan Dave on the forum here and he would be a great one to hunt with.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Well one thing for sure looking at the pictures, I’m not taking very good care of my nails, lol. Grinding off a little edge on one shows nothing but metal and I’m surprised as they looked more mineral? They were found somewhere around 1/4 mile from each other and appear to be of identical material and unique from everything else recovered in the 8 hours detecting the 2 pieces one an inch or 2 down in the middle of nothing far above a wash and the other dug out of a tailing pile several inches down. They are to small to acid etch so guess I’ll XRF one and see what the percentage of Nickel is?

7F3E08AB-2190-48FE-A3D7-DDFB14C02497.thumb.jpeg.03b6c80827121a5050abff219e0020de.jpeg 

• Like 1

I think you have done enough testing on those pieces.  It is very unlikely that it is a meteorite.  The flecks and chondrules that Fred was referring to do not appear.

Mitchel

• Like 1