First Hunt In The South, Meteorites? + 2 More

Your nails only prove you’re  not sitting around looking pretty!

Irons are a whole another ball game... if you have free access to an Xrf, nothing lost by using it...otherwise I would not waste any money.

save these suspect rocks for an Outing or to show an Expert, I am not!

fre

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fredmason said:

Your nails only prove you’re  not sitting around looking pretty!

Irons are a whole another ball game... if you have free access to an Xrf, nothing lost by using it...otherwise I would not waste any money.

save these suspect rocks for an Outing or to show an Expert, I am not!

fre

Thanks Mitchel and Fred, it’s probably chunks of iron from some old mining equipment the last one I found out at rye patch tested as an alloy earth like and modern. There is a pawn shop in Santa Clara that will test things anywhere from free to $15 depending on who’s there doing it for you, I’ll be back for a couple weeks an take it in and have them solve the mystery. The only mystery really I’d expect to find a chunk of old iron in the tailing pile curious finding the other buried some distance away looking related, safe money bet is old chunks of iron equipment? Thanks for the feed back and help, see you out there soon.

clark

P.S. Second thought probably the real mystery is how long it’s going to take me to figure this all out, lol and quit bringing home leaverite.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 11:29 PM, 1515Art said:

P.S. Second thought probably the real mystery is how long it’s going to take me to figure this all out, lol and quit bringing home leaverite.

Clark, IMO you're approaching this the right way.  Nobody here (worth paying any attention to) is going to rip you for posting your results and questions.  You are making good decisions and you should keep it up.  Reality is that even though rare finds are just that - rare, they do happen and the worst thing anyone can do is assume finds are worthless and throw them in the trash.  Please continue to post and ask questions.  We all will learn from them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Clark, IMO you're approaching this the right way.  Nobody here (worth paying any attention to) is going to rip you for posting your results and questions.  You are making good decisions and you should keep it up.  Reality is that even though rare finds are just that - rare, they do happen and the worst thing anyone can do is assume finds are worthless and throw them in the trash.  Please continue to post and ask questions.  We all will learn from them.

Thanks, you are absolutely right it’s all about the learning, I get a wealth of information from every little mystery I find. Being new learning the geology, reading maps... and I believe I’m in good company I read frequently similar questions and concerns,  I can look through the pages and pictures in my mineral guide and some of it translates for me in the field, but like anything else the devil is in the details and years of practical hands and eyes on experience or good and patient teachers are essential to read and understand the story to the right ending when comparing what I find vs my books. Thankfully the help here plays a big roll in filling that gap in knowledge with access to so many great teachers making it possible for someone new like me to have a chance at finding some success in a reasonable amount of time.

so, the last mystery didn’t need XRF the experts were right as always😀 this is metal trash from mining. Before taking it any further testing by cleaning off the rust revealed an earth like man made curve not found in debris from space at least none that I know of in Pahrump, NV. My guess is they were both little chunks from the same axle or shaft that exploded under the load of mining by the shape and curve. 

EA6FBCF2-225E-43AA-B42C-D1D5DB74E0B8.thumb.jpeg.06a751fd10050436414ee915ba8ae577.jpeg

• Like 1