Minelab 800 Settings For Large Gold Targets

Boatman4009

Boatman,

Steve has a lot of knowledge on this subject and I would/have listened to him.

Fred is also someone to listen to on these subjects.

I have had my unit for less than 4 months and it is a really good unit as I have found items down to 18 inches without any problems.

Good luck with this purchase and do the extra work and it will pay off.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 8:47 AM, Boatman4009 said:

Hello treasure hunting friends. I've never used a metal detector. I just purchased a Minelab Equinox 800. I am looking for advice on settings when searching for large(1 once and larger)gold targets up to 36" deep. Thanks.

Sounds like you are looking for large, deep (>2 ft.) buried caches of gold (rather than natural gold nuggets) or other metallic treasure you need a completely different tool than a consumer grade metal detector.  Detectors called "two-box" machines can do this (perhaps not as deep as 3 feet).  But you really need to investigate detectors designed and used by contractors to find and map buried pipes and cables.  Completely different animal than a consumer grade metal detector.  Plus you need to know what you are doing, have the proper permissions, ensure you are not actually digging up utility equipment, etc.  Also, you need to have done your research.  This is not something you can use on the random off chance that you will find something.  If you can narrow it down to a house sized plot of land with some high probability, then you might have a fighting chance.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Thank you all very much for the input. I see now that I made an error. I had meant to say a one pound nugget.😞 Again I do apologize. I'm searching for a cache that contains 2 one-pound nuggets and some gold coins. It may be only a few inches deep. However,I hear that folks sometimes used to bury things at or below Cornerstone. I have dug up 2 Cornerstone which were about 18" deep and one that is about 36". I have narrowed my search area down to roughly 800 square feet. I originally was looking to purchase a Whites TM808,but was told it would take me months to figure out how to use it,so this Minelab 800 was their suggestion.

• Like 2

I posted this in my first reply but will post again. The TM808 is no harder to learn than any detector. Utility detectors are often the same type machines with different branding. The Fisher Gemini 3 is utility branded as the TW-6.

Information on Deep Seeking Metal Detectors

Good luck!

• Like 4

I can't say it works or it doesn't but some people I know would be using their dowsing sticks.......but looking at 800 square feet I would probably consider getting a dozer in and detect the material it pushed up and the ground below....good luck on you please send pictures once you found it

• Like 1