Sign in to follow this  
Juliuss

Help Gpx Or Atx

Greetings friends, I want to ask a question and I hope you can help, he is long after an garrett atx, but I have the opportunity to buy a gpx 4800 with several coils and batteries, where I am not sure if there are nuggets, what that if I know that there are many coins and jewels, even vessels with coins inside the planting grounds, my question is the minelab gpx 4800, could it be useful for this type of search (buried treasures) or is it only for nuggets and small things? What is more convenient if I look in sowing lands and walls of old houses? Gpx or atx

It will detect coins and relics no problems, it detects all metals.... the problem is the discrimination, it has some basic iron discrimination but it's nothing like swinging a VLF detector with target ID's.

It will no doubt detect coins and treasures deeper than a VLF in a lot of cases but you'll be digging a LOT of junk. 

If you're primarily after coins and jewels like rings and so on, a VLF like the Minelab Equonox is your best bet in my opinion, cheaper too.

• Like 3

If it was me I would go for the ML4800 a great detector, and get a cheap VLF. machine for playing with coin and chase the gold with the ML4800. If you are after deep coins then use the ML4800 and dig every thing, even leaving known junk will mask good deep signals. You don't have to use ID to get good finds but it does prevent you from walking away from junk infested areas.

• Like 1

The Garrett ATX and ML 4800 (GPX) use similar pulse induction (PI) technology and both can be used for natural gold detecting or for relics and coins.  It is somewhat difficult to advise you as I am not sure of your experience level in detecting and what kind of soils you will be primarily detecting in.  Sounds like ploughed fields.  Unless the "treasures" are super deep or the soil conditions are challenging with lots of iron oxide mineralization, a PI detector may not be necessary, and a less expensive VLF induction balance machine might be more suitable to your circumstance (more about that later).

The ATX has the advantage of being fully waterproof which means you can use it in the water or in foul weather without having to provide additional protection to the control box.  The ML 4800 has better iron discrimination circuits than the ATX, is lighter, and the timings are more sophisticated for varying soil conditions which is really just an advantage for gold hunting.  There are more accessory coil options for the ML 4800 than for the ATX.

Since both use pulse induction technology, they will go deeper than your typical VLF induction balance detector which are more commonly used by those seeking coins and relics and are typically much less expensive than the ATX and ML GPX you are considering, unless the price is highly discounted because the unit is used.  If you are seeking deep buried caches of treasure, I would lean towards the ML 4800 because its audio tends to give you a better "picture" of larger, deeper targets.  

If this is a hobby you are just embarking on, I highly recommend taking the advice of others here, and start out with a capable VLF machine like the Equinox 800.  It is highly versatile and light weight and is simpler to operate and tune than a PI detector and if you find that the hobby is not something you want to pursue your investment is relatively small.  It will perform well in all kinds of tough soil environments such as salt beaches and highly mineralized soils (where PI detectors also excel) If you really want to just dip your toe in the water with a capable detector with minimal investment, I recommend that you investigate using the Nokta Simplex detector.   Which has just been released (so it may be difficult to find initially).  It is low cost but appears to be very capable and straight forward to operate.

Good luck.

• Like 1

The Garrett ATX and Minelab GPX 4800 have similar capabilities, and unless I needed the detector to be waterproof (ATX) my choice would be the GPX 4800. It has more power, more tuning options, and vastly more coil options at better prices.

• Like 4

I know a person who bought both of those detectors.  He favors the GPX for gold hunting and found the ATX to be a little too bump sensitive.  But that is all second hand info.  I wish I could give you better.

• Like 1