Sign in to follow this  
Juliuss

Help Gpx Or Atx

Greetings friends, I want to ask a question and I hope you can help, he is long after an garrett atx, but I have the opportunity to buy a gpx 4800 with several coils and batteries, where I am not sure if there are nuggets, what that if I know that there are many coins and jewels, even vessels with coins inside the planting grounds, my question is the minelab gpx 4800, could it be useful for this type of search (buried treasures) or is it only for nuggets and small things? What is more convenient if I look in sowing lands and walls of old houses? Gpx or atx

It will detect coins and relics no problems, it detects all metals.... the problem is the discrimination, it has some basic iron discrimination but it's nothing like swinging a VLF detector with target ID's.

It will no doubt detect coins and treasures deeper than a VLF in a lot of cases but you'll be digging a LOT of junk. 

If you're primarily after coins and jewels like rings and so on, a VLF like the Minelab Equonox is your best bet in my opinion, cheaper too.

• Like 3

If it was me I would go for the ML4800 a great detector, and get a cheap VLF. machine for playing with coin and chase the gold with the ML4800. If you are after deep coins then use the ML4800 and dig every thing, even leaving known junk will mask good deep signals. You don't have to use ID to get good finds but it does prevent you from walking away from junk infested areas.

• Like 1

The Garrett ATX and ML 4800 (GPX) use similar pulse induction (PI) technology and both can be used for natural gold detecting or for relics and coins.  It is somewhat difficult to advise you as I am not sure of your experience level in detecting and what kind of soils you will be primarily detecting in.  Sounds like ploughed fields.  Unless the "treasures" are super deep or the soil conditions are challenging with lots of iron oxide mineralization, a PI detector may not be necessary, and a less expensive VLF induction balance machine might be more suitable to your circumstance (more about that later).

The ATX has the advantage of being fully waterproof which means you can use it in the water or in foul weather without having to provide additional protection to the control box.  The ML 4800 has better iron discrimination circuits than the ATX, is lighter, and the timings are more sophisticated for varying soil conditions which is really just an advantage for gold hunting.  There are more accessory coil options for the ML 4800 than for the ATX.

Since both use pulse induction technology, they will go deeper than your typical VLF induction balance detector which are more commonly used by those seeking coins and relics and are typically much less expensive than the ATX and ML GPX you are considering, unless the price is highly discounted because the unit is used.  If you are seeking deep buried caches of treasure, I would lean towards the ML 4800 because its audio tends to give you a better "picture" of larger, deeper targets.  

If this is a hobby you are just embarking on, I highly recommend taking the advice of others here, and start out with a capable VLF machine like the Equinox 800.  It is highly versatile and light weight and is simpler to operate and tune than a PI detector and if you find that the hobby is not something you want to pursue your investment is relatively small.  It will perform well in all kinds of tough soil environments such as salt beaches and highly mineralized soils (where PI detectors also excel) If you really want to just dip your toe in the water with a capable detector with minimal investment, I recommend that you investigate using the Nokta Simplex detector.   Which has just been released (so it may be difficult to find initially).  It is low cost but appears to be very capable and straight forward to operate.

Good luck.

• Like 1

The Garrett ATX and Minelab GPX 4800 have similar capabilities, and unless I needed the detector to be waterproof (ATX) my choice would be the GPX 4800. It has more power, more tuning options, and vastly more coil options at better prices.

• Like 4

I know a person who bought both of those detectors.  He favors the GPX for gold hunting and found the ATX to be a little too bump sensitive.  But that is all second hand info.  I wish I could give you better.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Swifty
      Found on one if the groups I belong to. Now the question is Real?

• By VicR
      Attached is trade mark application for GPX 6000 - as i have previously mentioned we have had sightings of unidentified Minelab Detector in Adelaide Hills (South Australia) with rumours that it is a new gold detector between the 5000 and 7000. Which makes sense from a marketing point of view - you keep the flagship GPZ 7000 but give the punters a better GPX 5000. So looks like its the GPX 6000 - time will tell whether it turns out to be a giant leap forward like the Equinox or just a slightly improved GPX 5000.

• By GhostLands
      Hey wassup guys!😀
      Theses are my last 3 hunts with my brand new GPX 5000! I have 4 coils : Commander 15x12 DD, Commander 11" Mono and Double-D, Coiltek 14" Mono Elite. 👍
      I only used the 11" Double-D and the Coiltek!
      I have been learning a few things with Gordon Heritage from UK! 
      These are all finds from areas where i hunted before with other machines! My main machine is the Equinox 800!
      I'm very pleased with the GPX!

Cheers

• By Steve Herschbach
      Abenson - “As you'll soon see in the video, The Tarsacci, Equinox and GPX can hold there own against each other. The only loser in the video is the Deus but it's out of it's element. Deus thrives in surface trash in my dirt not, deeper targets in trash. There's really no magic bullet when it comes to deeper iron masked targets.“ 
      Tarsacci vs Vista X vs Equinox for Park Hunting
      Tarsacci vs GPX vs TDI

• By mn90403
      I've told myself for months it was time to go out with the 5000 and the Coiltek Platypus mono coil and try for some deep targets.  Last night was the night.  I think I learned more about my beach then I did about the detecting setup.
      This is the coil:
      https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/coiltek-12-x-8-platypus-mono-300x220mm-for-minelab-sd-gp-gpx-series-detectors/
      I don't have any pictures of finds because it was all junk except for 2 pennies.  I went out to a low tide wet area where I never find much with the Equinox 800 and I didn't find much with this either.  I was going after deep targets and I got a few aluminum can bottoms at 15 inches plus.  I had my giant scoop for the task so I didn't have to give up on the targets like I would with an arm scoop.
      What I learned is that with these conditions there just wasn't a patch of targets in the 'staging area' waiting to be washed up on the shore.  Maybe they are farther out.
      I mostly used the 5000 in Salt/Gold and I was really able to go as high as I wanted with the gain.  (For about 20 minutes I used fine gold but it had a hum when I swung.)  I stayed around 16 for the 2 hours I hunted.  I used my harness that I got with the detector in 2010 and a hipstick but it is a heavy load for me right now.  It started to hurt my back between the heavy scoop and the detector.  I cancelled my long walk style that I do with the 800.  I was trying to go places where I would go with an AQ.  I may have learned enough to not want one of those now.
      I was impressed that the battery worked fine and has not been charged much since I got a Z for the desert.
      I'll use this setup again on a better conditioned beach that has more targets but it is just not that much better at depth for it to be my regular detector.
      Mitchel
    • By abenson
      Got out Saturday morning early to try and beat the heat but by 11 am it was pushing 90. Used my GPX with the 14" Coiltek DD coil and ran in Salt mode most of the time, used normal a while too but Salt was much quieter. Had to walk half a mile down the beach to get to where I wanted to hunt and found either my headphones or battery had an issue. The volume was real weak even at full volume, I dealt with it but had the wind been blowing I would have had to walk back. Later found out it was a battery issue, amp must be bad. I think it's time to get Docs gold screamer setup. I'm tired of spending $450 for batteries Minelab claims can't be repaired. This is the second battery in a year that has gone bad.
      I hunted the wet sand down to the waters edge. Based on all the swim cap buckles, I was in the right place but just couldn't pull up any gold. The Chinese cache coin was kind of cool and all the coins were older. 2 corroded wheat pennies, silver Roosevelt dime, Jefferson nickel, buffalo and what looks like a V-nickel or possible token. Everything I found is pictured with the exception of a long piece of copper wire and two iron blobs that I left in the garbage can. All of the targets were shovel head deep or deeper